• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  I'm closing in on the complete run of Frontline Combat, only a few more to go.  And while nobody would mistake this for a file copy, it's a pretty solid book compared to a lot of my EC's:

Frontline_Combat_04.jpg

Same here missing 3 issues for the run, congrats 🎊🎉 

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

And real affordable run as well. You really get your money’s worth on this run. Some of the best war issues in all of comics. I’m still missing one. Just waiting for it to come around. 

What number?

53 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Nice one and has “Airburst”. Kurtzman’s favorite story.

It also was mentioned in SOTI, but I'm not sure what the reference is because I've never tracked down a copy of Seduction of the Innocent.

It may have been Kurtzman's favorite story but I can't say that it's his best.  I definitely think "Corpse on the Imjin" and "Big 'If'" are better stories.  It's a good one, though.

1 minute ago, OtherEric said:

It also was mentioned in SOTI, but I'm not sure what the reference is because I've never tracked down a copy of Seduction of the Innocent.

It may have been Kurtzman's favorite story but I can't say that it's his best.  I definitely think "Corpse on the Imjin" and "Big 'If'" are better stories.  It's a good one, though.

I would agree. “Big If” is especially top notch.

Yeah, forgot about the SOTI mention. I used to be s big SOTI collector. I will have to look it up. 

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

And real affordable run as well. You really get your money’s worth on this run. Some of the best war issues in all of comics. I’m still missing one. Just waiting for it to come around. 

I may have the issues I'm still missing already on order and just waiting for them to arrive... B|

I really think that Frontline Combat might be the most consistently excellent of all the New Trend books.  It may not have quite as many classics as the SF or Horror titles, but I honestly can't think of a single story that wasn't first rate- and as much as we love EC's, they had their share of stinkers mixed in with the classics.

I would agree. There was always such a great mix of different conflicts in every issue. For some reason I like the WWI yarns the best. The writing was incredible and the art was always excellent no matter who did it.

I would put the horror and crime titles just slightly below the war titles for fun reading. PCH is my favorite genre. It all depends on my mood at the moment.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

I would agree. There was always such a great mix of different conflicts in every issue. For some reason I like the WWI yarns the best. The writing was incredible and the art was always excellent no matter who did it.

I would put the horror and crime titles just slightly below the war titles for fun reading. PCH is my favorite genre. It all depends on my mood at the moment.

Whereas my favorites in addition to the war titles are the humor and SF books.  Looking back, it's just incredible how good EC was in so many diverse genres.  Even their worst stuff was better than 85% of what was out there at the time, and their best stuff is still some of the finest comics ever published in the history of the medium.

The SF books might be my least favorite. Science and math were my two least favorite subjects in school. I always felt like I had to think too much to enjoy them. Not that I was lazy or stupid because I always enjoyed the Batman and Detective books as a kid. Trying to figure out the clues Batman used to solve crimes. Just not much of a science guy.

I also love the humor stuff. I love to study all the weird things Elder did.

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Here is the SOTI reference on page 257 and the offending panel. Man the good doctor really hated EC...

3D687B7C-D794-464F-AEE1-C29F2D992A24.jpeg

The quack doctor hated all comics.  (I don't think The Nightingale actually counts as a comic from the description I've seen of it.)  As is often the case, on the surface he might have had a point... but who on earth looks at the indicia rather than the cover of the book for the publisher name?  This isn't even his worst example of deliberate cluelessness...  and his deliberate cluelessness isn't even as bad as his active misrepresentation or outright delusion.