• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  And with this, I can claim to have the complete run of another EC title, if not a complete series... I consider WS-F and ISF to be one series, despite the name change, just like Crypt of Terror/ Tales from the Crypt.  Still, very happy to have this one.  I still have a long ways to go on the SF books, but I think I can finally describe myself as well begun on getting them, at least.

Incredible_SF_33.jpg

:golfclap:awesome! And it has “judgement” for the last story of the last EC book published...( if im wrong about last EC published let me know!!!)

1 minute ago, Raze said:

:golfclap:awesome! And it has “judgement” for the last story of the last EC book published...( if im wrong about last EC published let me know!!!)

There were two issues of Two-Fisted Tales from Dark Horse in the 90's, which had the EC logo and were Kurtzman edited, so I figure they at least deserve mention.  I also have a copy of the reprint of this issue, which substitutes "An Eye For an Eye" for the Judgement Day reprint, in what I believe was that story's only comic book publication.  And, of course, MAD is still going on, even if it's going mostly reprint in a couple issues.

All those qualifiers notwithstanding, yes, this is the last EC comic book.  Only around 300 New Trend & New Direction books in total, but what an amazing 300 books they are.

Today's book.  I don't think I need to tell anybody in this thread why it's such a big deal, but for my own amusement I'll post this link here as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superduperman

I'm pretty sure this is the only EC story to get its own wikipedia page that withstood attempts to delete it for lack of notability.  This is a big one.

Mad_004.jpg

On August 19, 2019 at 11:34 PM, OtherEric said:

And here's the other book, Shock Suspenstories #9.  A great first issue of the title to start with, I think.  Bradbury's "The October Game", "Came the Dawn", and "Carrion Death".

Shock_Suspenstories_09.jpg

"Carrion Death" is a huge stand out for me. My uncle gave me a small handful of His original ECs when I was about 11 or 12. This story kept me awake at night. Creepy beyond description to me at the time. I won't spoil it but you gotta read it. You will probably figure it out before it ends if you are an EC fan, but at 12 I hadn't read enough to do so.

1 hour ago, Hap Hazard said:

As EC fan's706838361_moongirl(2).thumb.JPG.613b9b2e61b027ced9927e05dded2cc7.JPG386094357_amoonagirlaromance(2).thumb.JPG.7eba080ad9d88cbf86f9eb9449c70e75.JPG321683948_weirdfantasy(2).thumb.JPG.e5c943a6b123be2689b1318d9383d8d6.JPG1794039620_weirdscience-fantasy(2).thumb.JPG.ce022ae203c9c4d4fb5aa62102e75af7.JPG821674442_incrediblesciencefiction(2).thumb.JPG.ba386db16a56f9f2d65f04b4297db4fd.JPG we know of the many title changes some of the books made, here's the winding road one takes to get to Incredible Science Fiction 33!

Moon Girl 1-8 A Moon, A Girl..... Romance 9-12 Weird Fantasy 13-22 Weird Science-Fantasy 23-29 and then Incredible Science Fiction 30-33 the end!

Oh, man that's pretty Steve. I haven't seen that run all together for about 25 years when I broke up my original EC collection. Those Moon Girl's and Romances are near impossible to put together now. I have a few of the Moon Girls but have pretty much given up on them unless I get lucky. I still need one of the Romance ones and am determined. Still missing a couple WF but they will come my way when the time is right. Congrats on putting that together. A lot harder than most think!

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

I haven’t bought much of late, but couldn’t resist this book - such rich colors that I’m not used to seeing on this particular issue, even Gaines File copies can show fading due to unstable inks.

Anyway, thanks to Bob Storms for this one...

7E5859E1-A3B0-479A-99C6-915F7208A475.jpeg

I've been searching for a copy like this for decades.  Just spectacular.   (thumbsu

eBay purchase. Sadly two of them have to go back... The WF16 was not the one I bought. I bought the later one and got this one by mistake. The Crypt 39 was graded fair-good because of a detached cover. I opened it up and it was water stained, rusty staples and MOLD! Not noted in description, nor shown in the photos. Some might call this “fair”, I call it disgusting and unacceptable. 

I bought these from a well known and respected seller that I have bought from several times in the past. I won’t put anybody because I am sure it will get taken care of. Just VERY disappointed and now have to deal with it because someone’s sloppyness.

I’m not a big high grade buyer but this is an on going problem I have had with the bay in the past couple of years. When you have to return 25-30% of your purchases because of things like this, maybe it’s time to rethink where I get my books from. I thought I had mitigated it by buying from better sellers. 

In order to get my bids, a seller needs to provide a full description, including interior photos and have a solid return policy or I simply won’t go there. Very few people are “professional graders” but we all have eyes and are capable of describing and showing what our eyes see.

Sorry for the rant...:sumo:

DE1D38D2-73C9-437F-B300-8EAB989447DA.jpeg

4F6C1984-5313-4186-92CA-E41B6BD356F6.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

eBay purchase. Sadly two of them have to go back... The WF16 was not the one I bought. I bought the later one and got this one by mistake. The Crypt 39 was graded fair-good because of a detached cover. I opened it up and it was water stained, rusty staples and MOLD! Not noted in description, nor shown in the photos. Some might call this “fair”, I call it disgusting and unacceptable. 

I bought these from a well known and respected seller that I have bought from several times in the past. I won’t put anybody because I am sure it will get taken care of. Just VERY disappointed and now have to deal with it because someone’s sloppyness.

I’m not a big high grade buyer but this is an on going problem I have had with the bay in the past couple of years. When you have to return 25-30% of your purchases because of things like this, maybe it’s time to rethink where I get my books from. I thought I had mitigated it by buying from better sellers. 

In order to get my bids, a seller needs to provide a full description, including interior photos and have a solid return policy or I simply won’t go there. Very few people are “professional graders” but we all have eyes and are capable of describing and showing what our eyes see.

Sorry for the rant...:sumo:

DE1D38D2-73C9-437F-B300-8EAB989447DA.jpeg

4F6C1984-5313-4186-92CA-E41B6BD356F6.jpeg

RM, I took a look at the auction you won for the TFTC 39; he didn't mention anything beyond the detached cover, and definitely should have either pointed out the mold, or displayed a scan of the first page.  That looks disgusting!!  Can't remember if I bought from him before, but you can return any purchase on eBay, whether the seller says he accepts returns or not (this one does).  

Even though I have not gotton any response from the seller, I filed just to get a shipping label. I never see any reason to have to pay for a seller’s own mistake. Both books are in the mail. 

I really think the professional thing to do when a mistake is made by a seller is to respond promptly and own it. I have had several cases where I have had to return books due to seller error or sloppyness. I have had everything from a snarky reply to none at all. My carefully thought out and accurate feedback is always left.

Again, I’m not outting or condemning this seller. I have bought a good amount of books with no problem from him as I assume a lot of you have. I’m sure he is just busy and will do the right thing.

But two out of 6 books is pretty bad. eBay, has just gotton to be so disappointing to me as both a buyer and a seller. I have never had any problem with the good boardies that do business here on the boards.