• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,322 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2019 at 1:27 AM, Robot Man said:

eBay purchase. Sadly two of them have to go back... The WF16 was not the one I bought. I bought the later one and got this one by mistake. The Crypt 39 was graded fair-good because of a detached cover. I opened it up and it was water stained, rusty staples and MOLD! Not noted in description, nor shown in the photos. Some might call this “fair”, I call it disgusting and unacceptable. 

I bought these from a well known and respected seller that I have bought from several times in the past. I won’t put anybody because I am sure it will get taken care of. Just VERY disappointed and now have to deal with it because someone’s sloppyness.

I’m not a big high grade buyer but this is an on going problem I have had with the bay in the past couple of years. When you have to return 25-30% of your purchases because of things like this, maybe it’s time to rethink where I get my books from. I thought I had mitigated it by buying from better sellers. 

In order to get my bids, a seller needs to provide a full description, including interior photos and have a solid return policy or I simply won’t go there. Very few people are “professional graders” but we all have eyes and are capable of describing and showing what our eyes see.

Sorry for the rant...:sumo:

With you on that Bob. I can count on one hand the number of books I sent back to eBay sellers from 2008 - 2017 but I've sent back about 25% of my purchases in the past year, and should have sent back a couple of others. I'm not quite sure what's going on - I used to have a pretty good eye for it.

Grading seems to have gotten looser over the years.  I go into my boxes and find books that were graded 10-20 years ago as G that could now be regarded as G-VG, VG-, or even VG in some cases, and that is based on those conditions of books I receive not just from eBay, but certain dealers as well.

16 hours ago, AJD said:

With you on that Bob. I can count on one hand the number of books I sent back to eBay sellers from 2008 - 2017 but I've sent back about 25% of my purchases in the past year, and should have sent back a couple of others. I'm not quite sure what's going on - I used to have a pretty good eye for it.

This seller has been stellar with me and we are working out the problem. It really has gotton to be a carp shoot though. I mean really, hardly any of us are "professional graders" If you don't know how or are scared to (which I can understand), Take a few minutes to do a full description of the book, provide enough clear photos and stand behind your auction with a solid return policy. Anything else is a lazy cop out and not worthy of my hard earned money no matter how tempting.

A couple books in tonight.  Here's the relatively minor one, although I don't really consider any of the SF books "minor".  One of my favorite Feldstein covers, a quiet but stunning image.  Great art inside as well, with a genuinely haunting story drawn by Williamson showing that, even in the late days of EC, they were still turning out masterpieces... even if they weren't quite as frequent as earlier.

Weird_Science_Fantasy_28.jpg

1 hour ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

I guess while I'm here ... won tonight on CC (cross-posted from that thread) ...

SSP9.jpg

Congrats. One of my favorite ECs. Crack it! Or at the very least, get a reprint. “Carrion Death” is maybe the creepiest EC story. 

On 9/12/2019 at 8:18 PM, Robot Man said:

Congrats. One of my favorite ECs. Crack it! Or at the very least, get a reprint. “Carrion Death” is maybe the creepiest EC story. 

As a 7.0, he should leave it entombed, and buy a reprint.  That issue is loaded with b itchen EC stories!  Definitely a reader!

Edited by fifties

Still got mine as well as the other hard to get larger badge.

I got mine from Jack Kamen himself. I was late for the dinner and too late to get one of these. I was seated at Jack's table and he was ever so kind to give me his. A great guy, great night and great con. One of the best SDCCs I ever attended. I probably spent more time at panels, autograph sessions and photo ops than I did buying books. You can always buy books but I knew at the time. Spending time with these people was far greater. Sadly, all gone now...

ec2000kit.jpg

I missed this one in NY in 1972. I was young, poor and didn't even know about it until a friend in NY told me about it. This was an even greater line up of EC people. I would have died and gone to heaven to have been there.

I have the complete kit as a consolation prize...:sorry:

ecconkit.jpg

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I missed this one in NY in 1972. I was young, poor and didn't even know about it until a friend in NY told me about it. This was an even greater line up of EC people. I would have died and gone to heaven to have been there.

I have the complete kit as a consolation prize...:sorry:

ecconkit.jpg

Bunch of good stuff :applause: