• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2019 at 3:42 PM, Mmehdy said:

I see profiles in history is selling the original art and table of contents page to the classic 1950's Harvey horror  story "Colorama" and its just $400 at this point. They have. TON  of EC original stories, I like "I Rocket", "Bellyful" etc which are gonna be sold this coming week.

"

Even though they had the wrong artist attributed - it was Bob Powell not Howard Nostrand, and even though they listed the wrong issue in which it first appeared - it was first published in Black Cat Mystery #45 and reprinted in Black Cat Mystic #61 (with alterations for the Comics Code), it ended up selling for $11,000 (plus 3,080 buyers premium).

Edited by BOOT

Anybody see the recent Bonham’s auction of Jerry Garcia’s ECs? Full run of Frontline Combat, Two Fisted Tales and Aces High brought $4,450 for 44 books. Word has it he bought a full run of ECs from Gary Arlington with his first royalty check. 

My friend told me after the fact. He was at the auction and said there was a lot more of his stuff and the ECs were pretty much ignored. Wish I was there.

Edited by Robot Man

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Anybody see the recent Bonham’s auction of Jerry Garcia’s ECs? Full run of Frontline Combat, Two Fisted Tales and Aces High brought $4,450 for 44 books. Word has it he bought a full run of ECs from Gary Arlington with his first royalty check. 

My friend told me after the fact. He was at the auction and said there was a lot more of his stuff and the ECs were pretty much ignored. Wish I was there.

I've heard the stories of the 'Grateful EC's' before,maybe it was you? 

So many memories mixed up!

49 minutes ago, BOOT said:

Even though they had the wrong artist attributed - it was Bob Powell not Howard Nostrand, and even though they listed the wrong issue in which it first appeared - it was first published in Black Cat Mystery #45 and reprinted in Black Cat Mystic #61 (with alterations for the Comics Code), it ended up selling for $11,000 (plus 3,080 buyers premium).

:hi: I just stalked your profile the other day! lol 

Merry Christmas!Merry Christmas everyone!

e3b0220332afbbba4086e8a35f96df96.jpg

31 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That's fabulous - I hadn't heard of that connection before. If anyone wants me for the next 18 minutes I'll be reading my newly-delivered hardcover Frontline Vol 2 and listening to this...

5 hours ago, BOOT said:

I was surprised that it hit that level...classic 

20 hours ago, BOOT said:

Damn! I hate that I totally missed this. I remember it selling through Sotheby's in the very early '90s for $900. I missed it then and had been looking for it. AAAARRRRGGGHHH!

Oh well, here is the cover...

blackcat45cover.jpg

Not sure if anyone is following or did the Holiday Exchange but I did (for the 2nd time) and got something I think is Awesome and want to share with my fellow EC fans! I have seen the 4 packs at my LCS but couldn't see what they were so I didn't buy them buy them. Well my SS was @Tim Weaver and got me the 

Taint the meat...its the humanity ( Jack Davis) and Voodoo Vengeance ( Johnny Craig)

Just wanted to share!

Merry Christmas

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5690.jpeg

IMG_5691.jpeg

IMG_5692.jpeg

IMG_5693.jpeg

So, I think this one has fallen a bit from it's highest point on the "super major EC's list". Mad in general seems to be lower on the priority list for EC's these days, and the internet has made the book somewhat easier to find.  But even if it's lower on the list... I think this is still one of the A-list EC's, a genuinely scarce book with a classic cover.  Super happy to finally have a copy.  3 comic book issues of MAD to go, my plan is to finish the 1-23 run by the end of the year.  I've already got 1, 2, 5, and 11, which to my mind are the tricky ones, so I think my chances are good.

Mad_005.jpg

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

So, I think this one has fallen a bit from it's highest point on the "super major EC's list". Mad in general seems to be lower on the priority list for EC's these days, and the internet has made the book somewhat easier to find.  But even if it's lower on the list... I think this is still one of the A-list EC's, a genuinely scarce book with a classic cover.  Super happy to finally have a copy.  3 comic book issues of MAD to go, my plan is to finish the 1-23 run by the end of the year.  I've already got 1, 2, 5, and 11, which to my mind are the tricky ones, so I think my chances are good.

Mad_005.jpg

I LOVE this issue. I do believe it to be a bit harder than the other issues and is quite popular. Over the years, I've found several runs of the EC MADs out in the wild. Almost always #5 was missing. Elder was a master and this cover fits in so well with ECs horror output.

A few months ago, even though I have a nice copy, I bought this Canadian variant just because...

commad5canada.jpg

Since this is an EC Fan Addict Thread:  Does anyone remember and/or did anyone on this thread attend the NYC convention greatly dedicated to E.C. - back in I think 1982?  Despite the focus, I met L.B. Cole, Frank Miller, Wrightson, and other non-EC stable talent. Let me see if I can find the show program and post it - it was dedicated to the publisher and from memory had articles on most of the key creative folks ....  

On 12/24/2019 at 2:37 PM, MrBedrock said:

Damn! I hate that I totally missed this. I remember it selling through Sotheby's in the very early '90s for $900. I missed it then and had been looking for it. AAAARRRRGGGHHH!

Oh well, here is the cover...

blackcat45cover.jpg

WOW what a great  cover...I was amazed that it was caught ...it was $600 bucks for along time for the story....sorry you missed it, but I did spot it out early and let the boards know it was a classic

Edited by Mmehdy