• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2020 at 11:27 AM, Marty Mann said:

IMG  WEIRD SCIENCE #18 (200 dpi).jpg

Wow! You NEVER see this issue with those deep reds on the cover... the reds are faded-looking and blotchy on most copies. Very cool.  :applause:

Fresh in today.  This presents miles above its technical grade- there's a puncture through the whole book, which has been carefully repaired with tape.  But it's a good reader that looks better than most of my EC's, and this is another issue that's decidedly on the upswing in demand because of the cover. 

It also puts me at the half-way mark on the Two-Fisted Tales run.

Two_Fisted_Tales_30.jpg

Two Fisted is a run that gets overlooked a little, remaining more reasonable to collect, yet still delivering a top notch artistic effort. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/7/2020 at 9:38 PM, Point Five said:
On 1/4/2020 at 11:27 AM, Marty Mann said:

IMG  WEIRD SCIENCE #18 (200 dpi).jpg

Wow! You NEVER see this issue with those deep reds on the cover... the reds are faded-looking and blotchy on most copies. Very cool.  :applause:

I bet it didn't look any better than this on it's first morning at the Train Station …. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Fresh in today.  This presents miles above its technical grade- there's a puncture through the whole book, which has been carefully repaired with tape.  But it's a good reader that looks better than most of my EC's, and this is another issue that's decidedly on the upswing in demand because of the cover. 

It also puts me at the half-way mark on the Two-Fisted Tales run.

Two_Fisted_Tales_30.jpg

This classic cover (and it's a "true" classic cover) happens to be one of the greatest precode war covers. It's also an example why Jack Davis was much more than horror.

17 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

This classic cover (and it's a "true" classic cover) happens to be one of the greatest precode war covers. It's also an example why Jack Davis was much more than horror.

I agree with everything you say... but would suggest that the cover, while not just horror, is actually one of the most horrific covers EC and Davis ever did.  But it's a real world horror, not an fantastic one.

2 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Yep, that is on better than par with even Many of Heath’s war covers.

Davis was incredibly talented and very underrated. The wide variety of genres he could master were a lot wider than most other comic artists of his time. 

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I agree with everything you say... but would suggest that the cover, while not just horror, is actually one of the most horrific covers EC and Davis ever did.  But it's a real world horror, not an fantastic one.

Great point about "real world horror." One of the reasons why the Krigstein's classic "Master Race" story in Impact 1 (cover also done by Jack Davis) makes that book one of the most terrifying issues ever- no subject is more horrifying than the Holocaust. Again, "real world horror."

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Not a question about it. That is the best Two Fisted cover. Maybe one of Davis’s best works. The tension, the lighting, and that guy’s eyes. Nice looking copy. I have upgraded my copy several times and am not done. 

I’ll question it. There are a couple Two-Fisted covers I prefer. That’s the catch with the cover game; very hard to quantify these things.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Yep, that is on better than par with even Many of Heath’s war covers.

Davis was incredibly talented and very underrated. The wide variety of genres he could master were a lot wider than most other comic artists of his time. 

Brilliant color design by Marie Severin is definitely part of the package.