• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Which ones do you prefer?

Two Fisted Tales 25: classic story, classic cover.

EC07D15C-2618-4DAF-A2E3-82B1F3083250.thumb.jpeg.583e4cf9a20a4f4c17a37c267ac6e0d0.jpeg

This one nobody else thinks of this highly, but it may be my favorite of ALL EC covers. 2FT annual 1. The expression on the lead figure’s face is masterful. Obviously frightened, but doing his job. The overall composition speaks to me as well, as each soldier represents a different war experience.

A9BF7597-8DC3-4745-B45D-DFCDDF9C2888.thumb.jpeg.c03cd1ee9ee83331dd5799aee19a9e9f.jpeg

Very few agree, but it’s my point. “Best” cover is so subjective.

10 hours ago, fifties said:

My only issue of Two Fisted Tales, which in the current day might be considered "politically incorrect", which is why I bought it, bwahahaha!!

Two Fisted Tales 35.jpg

Another pretty Jack Davis cover! You really should buy more. Every issue an awsome read.

I can’t understand how actual American history would be considered “politically incorrect”. (shrug)

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Another pretty Jack Davis cover! You really should buy more. Every issue an awsome read.

I can’t understand how actual American history would be considered “politically incorrect”. (shrug)

Same. Is this cover really considered offensive?

4 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Same. Is this cover really considered offensive?

I can absolutely understand why people might have a problem with this cover if they don't have any context for it.  I don't think anybody who knows anybody about EC should have a problem with it in context, though.

Just in case, I went ahead and ordered myself a copy before the rush starts, though.  I'll show it when it arrives.

20 hours ago, fifties said:

My comment regarded the "stars and bars" Confederate flag, which in this day and age seems to be considered as racist.  Personally I don't agree with that mindset.

Neither do I. It’s a dark part of US history that should never be forgotten.  

I also don’t consider this offensive. Also a part of history. I don’t see any hate here unlike many incindents happening all over the country these days. 

It’s the name of the team. What are they supposed to do change it?

C436FD1F-B7F5-43B4-B045-B1495390BAA5.jpeg

Can someone here explain to me why the title was changed from “Crypt of Terror” to “Tales From the Crypt”? The former is more in line with the other two horror titles. 
I’m aware of Gaines’ fee dodging ( Haunt of Fear becomes Two Fisted Tales, etc.), I’ve just forgotten the reason behind this one.

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

Can someone here explain to me why the title was changed from “Crypt of Terror” to “Tales From the Crypt”? The former is more in line with the other two horror titles. 
I’m aware of Gaines’ fee dodging ( Haunt of Fear becomes Two Fisted Tales, etc.), I’ve just forgotten the reason behind this one.

Very good question. The only thing I've ever read about that goes something like this...wholesalers objected to the use of the word "Terror", but did not object (for whatever reason) to the use of the words "Horror" or "Fear". So, Gaines changed the name to remove the objectionable word "Terror" from the title to appease the wholesalers.

Of course, that explanation leads to the next natural question - why would someone object to the word "Terror" but not the word "Horror"? :screwy:  (shrug)

5 minutes ago, EC ed said:

Very good question. The only thing I've ever read about that goes something like this...wholesalers objected to the use of the word "Terror", but did not object (for whatever reason) to the use of the words "Horror" or "Fear". So, Gaines changed the name to remove the objectionable word "Terror" from the title to appease the wholesalers.

Of course, that explanation leads to the next natural question - why would someone object to the word "Terror" but not the word "Horror"? :screwy:  (shrug)

I remember reading something about that also; Gaines didn't want to continue using the word "Terror" on his covers.  I just didn't know the underlying reason why; thx Ed!

The funny thing is, there were pulps that used the term prominently in their title;

Publication: Terror Tales, September 1940

Edited by fifties

12 minutes ago, fifties said:

I remember reading something about that also; Gaines didn't want to continue using the word "Terror" on his covers.  I just didn't know the underlying reason why; thx Ed!

Actually, I think it's a bit of a more nuanced story than my short answer above. The wholesalers were concerned about the horror genre in general, so I think Gaines was being totally reactive to that situation. He decided to remove "Terror" to see if that would appease them...the title change was relatively easy. I actually think his plan at that moment was to have the renamed "Tales From the Crypt" as his only horror book to see how that worked, with plans to transition Vault of Horror into Crime SuspenStories, and to transition Haunt of Fear into Two-Fisted Tales (after which Vault and Haunt would no longer exist). I guess he figured that there was no point in changing the names of Vault and Haunt, because he was planning on discontinuing them soon anyway after he made sure that Crime SuspenStories and Two-Fisted Tales were selling reasonably well. Then, a funny thing happened - comic readers loved Vault and Haunt (and Tales), and were buying them like crazy. Seeing this, the wholesalers suddenly changed their tune and didn't have as big a problem with the "horror" books anymore  lol , so Gaines kept everything...Vault, Haunt, CSS, and TFT, and didn't bother to change the name of TFTC back to CoT...no need to at that point, I guess.

Edited by EC ed

43 minutes ago, EC ed said:

Actually, I think it's a bit of a more nuanced story than my short answer above. The wholesalers were concerned about the horror genre in general, so I think Gaines was being totally reactive to that situation. He decided to remove "Terror" to see if that would appease them...the title change was relatively easy. I actually think his plan at that moment was to have the renamed "Tales From the Crypt" as his only horror book to see how that worked, with plans to transition Vault of Horror into Crime SuspenStories, and to transition Haunt of Fear into Two-Fisted Tales (after which Vault and Haunt would no longer exist). I guess he figured that there was no point in changing the names of Vault and Haunt, because he was planning on discontinuing them soon anyway after he made sure that Crime SuspenStories and Two-Fisted Tales were selling reasonably well. Then, a funny thing happened - comic readers loved Vault and Haunt (and Tales), and were buying them like crazy. Seeing this, the wholesalers suddenly changed their tune and didn't have as big a problem with the "horror" books anymore  lol , so Gaines kept everything...Vault, Haunt, CSS, and TFT, and didn't bother to change the name of TFTC back to CoT...no need to at that point, I guess.

Actually if you'll recall, he was planning on having a forth horror title late in the game, bringing back The Crypt of Terror banner.  Unfortunately because of the CCA coming into being, the last issue of TFTC -which was going to be the first issue of TCOT- kept it's title.  The '73 reprint displayed what was originally intended;

The Crypt of Terror reprint.jpg

Tales From The Crypt 46.jpg

Edited by fifties