• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

Got this one in this week.  It has "A Kind of Justice", which occupies a bit of an odd spot on the list of all time EC classics.  It's one that does get mentioned on that list frequently, but it doesn't actually get discussed nearly as much as the other all time greats.  It's one of the darkest and most uncomfortable stories EC ever did, and its impact has not dropped one iota in the 65 years since it was published.  It's still hard to talk about even after all this time.

I'm very, very glad to have a copy in my collection; I think the story is true EC masterpiece.

Shock_Suspenstories_16.jpg

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Got this one in this week.  It has "A Kind of Justice", which occupies a bit of an odd spot on the list of all time EC classics.  It's one that does get mentioned on that list frequently, but it doesn't actually get discussed nearly as much as the other all time greats.  It's one of the darkest and most uncomfortable stories EC ever did, and its impact has not dropped one iota in the 65 years since it was published.  It's still hard to talk about even after all this time.

I'm very, very glad to have a copy in my collection; I think the story is true EC masterpiece.

Shock_Suspenstories_16.jpg

A gripping opening splash...

C63637AB-D9E7-4817-B185-9ADDD8704F17.jpeg

And a couple books in today.  The Two-Fisted Tales puts me at 15 down, 9 to go.  I'll get there before too long.

The Haunt of Fear is actually the first issue of the title I've ever owned.  I think I've said that the horror books are my least favorite of the New Trend books, and I don't have any particular plans to collect them as a whole- reprints will do just fine.  (Least favorite EC is still higher than at least 90% of all other comics.)  What I DO want is at least one issue from each of the titles as a representative for my collection. I think I got very lucky snagging a Haunt #14 to represent the series.  While the cover is not quite as famous as the 17-18-19 run, it's definitely a well known Ghastly cover.  And the issue has "A Little Stranger!", which may not often make the classic EC story list on its own merits but is important for other obvious reasons.

Two_Fisted_Tales_23.jpg

Haunt_of_Fear_14.jpg

I’m the opposite. Other than MAD which got me started on ECs, I went Horror, Crime, Shock, War titles and Sci Fi last. Other than Piracy, Aces High and Valor, I have very little interest in the rest. Ultimately, there is no such thing as a bad EC. 

I haven’t scored one in a while, I’m jonesing! :roflmao:

1 hour ago, fifties said:

My order of preference; Tales, Vault, Haunt, Crime SS, Shock SS, Weird Fan, Weird Sci, Weird Sci-Fan, Incredible Sci Fi.

I would probably be exactly the same but I would switch WF and WS. I really like the Wood covers on WS a little more. You left off the war books. I would slip in TFT and FC right after SS. 

The war stuff is just awsome. VERY underrated. 

I do find it curious that Tales From The Crypt is so much more popular than Vault or Haunt. I get the famous name, but wow. 
Is there a price premium on Crypt compared to the other two? If there isn’t, I bet there will be.

21 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I do find it curious that Tales From The Crypt is so much more popular than Vault or Haunt. I get the famous name, but wow. 
Is there a price premium on Crypt compared to the other two? If there isn’t, I bet there will be.

I think the tv show has a little to do with it. A pretty cool title. As far as my preference, I think I like Vault the best closely followed by Haunt with Crypt bringing up the rear. Probably because of the covers. They are really interchangeable actually story wise. I prefer WS a little over WF sane reason. So many killer Wood covers on WS. 

There is no bad EC except maybe MD or Extra. Not real fond of Psycho either. I have not really pursued them much unless I pick them up real cheap. I also have zero interest in the Picture Stories either. 

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I would agree with RM that the TV show prolly has something to do with that.  The funny thing is though, back in the '70's, Vault was the pricier of their horror output. I'd also agree that just like with other labels having several horror titles out, all the stories are really interchangeable.  The only distinction with EC's are the horror hosts introducing each story.

RM, back in the '50's I was an avid war comics reader.  When I got back into collecting, I decided that I would concentrate on my first true love, horror, and second, crime.  I simply have no room now to begin collecting war comics, LOL!  But if they're EC's, I'm sure that they're good!  Except for some of the new, new direction that came out in '55 (Extra, M.D., Psychoanalysis, Valor, and the later issues of Impact and Piracy), and the Picto-Fiction mags.