• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

You’re in a whole new EC echelon, Raze! Kind of a big deal.

Aww shucks! Thanks! I was surprised that I was able to grab it a few weeks ago! Im super happy!! And it low grade with water damage, I dont know if its apparent or not in the scans.

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

So, some of you may recall asking about Shock Suspenstories #6 a few weeks ago; I was wondering if the book had reached the point where grabbing a decent presenting 1.8 for around $600 might be my only option at getting the book given how crazy it was getting.  I also had some money from the cancelled ECCC to use.

@EC ed messaged me with an even better idea:  buy a significantly better copy from him for not a lot more money.  He sold it to me as a 4.0; with some unnecessary tape on the inside front cover I think that's a fair (if extremely conservative)  grade; but it looks great for that grade.  Super happy to finally get this one; given that I'm not particularly trying for more than examples from the horror books and Crime Suspenstories; this was far and away the biggest obstacle to me putting together runs of the EC books I want.  Some of the early SF books will be tricky, but nowhere near to the obstacle this one could have wound up as.

Thank you again, Ed!

Shock_Suspenstories_06.jpg

Nice score Eric and a very pretty copy to boot. One of those just iconic EC issues. Smart purchase!

Boils and Ghouls, Have I a treat for you! HeeHee Its so Mad bad that I could not resits the urge to pay 2K for heehee! So here's my copy of 

Mad 7!!! TA-DA this is a "gem mint" for me and a great find! Here was the item description from eBay 

PRETTY CRAPPY, BUT A NEXT TO THE CHIMNEY ATTIC SURVIVOR!! has been wet, cover was dirty, lots of wear/stains/NOT FLAT, tanned pages, misc small tears/creases/wrinkle, FILLER COPY. 

Now I take offense to these "slasher-ish" "Slander-ish" words..."Pretty crappy"??? Says who!!..... Its "gore-ish" gorgeous !!! ........."Has been wet"...Who hasn't been wet? ............."Cover dirty" well who hasn't been dirty?......."lots of wear/stains/not flat ( you should see my tummy!!) tanned pages (like my skin...) misc small tears/creases/wrinkle (we all have those) filler copy...Its off to CGC!!! And Its probably a "Pedigree" with that date stamp/marker!!!

This Is the standout in my Mad collection!!!

Scan 2020-4-10 23.25.21.jpg

Scan 2020-4-10 23.25.56.jpg

And, a bit of an oddity even by EC standards... most of the issue was produced by EC back in the 40's, but for this 60's reprint the start and end of the story have obviously been reworked and redrawn, and it has a glossy cover the earlier versions didn't have.  Still, a neat item to throw in the "EC oddities" section of the box behind the more conventional issues.

Reddy_Kilowatt_2_1965.jpg

19 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Feldstein women:luhv: Just extra cute most of the time

Photo 2020-04-11 10.34.42 PM.jpg

EC Romance is so very cool - while I love EC sci-fi and horror beyond words, their romance books are really something special (and difficult to locate, too).

Here is my undercopy on the same issue, the moody atmosphere cover plus a “Harry Wood” splash. :bigsmile:

95650273-FBE5-4A4E-9950-29740288A62A.jpeg

1EA7AF9D-246D-4CBF-A25D-7A1952CD77D8.jpeg

49 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

EC Romance is so very cool - while I love EC sci-fi and horror beyond words, their romance books are really something special (and difficult to locate, too).

Here is my undercopy on the same issue, the moody atmosphere cover plus a “Harry Wood” splash. :bigsmile:

A romance story by "Harry Wood"... even I might give Wertham a little slack on that one if I didn't know where it came from. :nyah:

Edited by OtherEric

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Love that one. One of my favorite “love” books. About the only one I kept of that genre from my original complete EC collection. Started buying them back and have about half of them. I rarely see any for sale anymore...

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Two in today.  The Weird Science has a detached and nearly completely split spine.  But it presents beautifully and is very, very readable.  I think this issue is getting tricker, the cover may be the best horror cover EC ever put on a science fiction issue.

The Mad has much better interiors and is a decent reading copy for cheap.  Now all I need is a copy of #3 with a cover for the complete Mad 1-31 run.

Weird_Science_19.jpg

Mad_008.jpg

There was a movie out in 1954 entitled, "Riders to the Stars", and I've always wondered if they copied the cover illustration from WS 19, when Richard Carlson looks out the spacecraft window and sees another crew member blown out into space;

Film Review: Riders To The Stars (1954) | HNN