• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I think that's just fading, but not 100% sure.  One could also be late in the print run so ink was low.

If you decide to get rid of one of those, PM me and let me know what you want, by the way...

Well if your looking at the top book it has fading by the D, you can see where a price sticker on the bag was located and its darker.

10 hours ago, jpepx78 said:

I don’t think the colors are faded. Here are 2 Gaines Files copies of Weird Fantasy 15 from the Heritage archive that shows a purple cover and a blue cover.

If we assume there has not been any fading in these GF copies, I believe the difference is due to the slight variation in the mixing of the printing inks. Since comics were printed using a 4 color CMYK process (cyan, magenta, yellow & black), a slight variation in the ratio in one of the inks will make a visible difference in the color. I tried to duplicate the cover colors using a CMYK blender. For example if the ratio of the cyan ink is changed (by mixing up ratios), purplish color can turn into bluish color. So less rigorous print quality control might explain the prevalent cover color variations in Fiction House books and other comics that people have discussed previously.

wf15 gfp.jpg

wf15 gfb.jpg

cmyk p.jpg

cmyk b.jpg

A very good explanation. I’ve worked in graphic design/advertising and printing my whole life. I know how printing presses and bindery work. Magenta (red) is a very dominant color. It tends to gain quickly on press if not watched. 

Comic books were printed on large web presses that move very quickly. Unless you watch them very closely, color can change fast. I think it was intended to be more cyan (Blue). In retrospect,  I suspect the magenta  gained before they got it back under control. 

Just wondered how many copies are out there with the magenta dominate. Apparently not many. 

Also interesting is that both the Gaines file copies you posted have this variation. The handful that was pulled off the saddle stitcher and sealed away had this variation. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 5/26/2020 at 10:53 PM, OtherEric said:

I've seen much worse.  But there wasn't a lot of GOOD 3D books in the 50's, honestly... St. John and, to a lesser degree, Harvey, are really the only ones who did anything I found particularly worthwhile from what I've seen.

Does anybody know where the stories meant for 3D # 3 appeared?  I have "Spawn of Venus" in an issue of Witzend, and "The Planetoid" in 50 Girls 50 and other stories.  Not sure where the other two appeared, or if they were even finished.

And, a little research answered my own question:  All four stories eventually appeared, but in black & white 2d.  "Spawn of Venus" appeared in witzend #6, 1969.  "Slave Ship" and "Child of Tomorrow" supposedly both appeared in Squa Tront #4, and "The Planetoid" first appeared in Squa Tront #5, 1974.  I don't have a Squa Tront # 4 yet; but I just got in the #5 to go with my witzend #6. 

Spell check is having fits over that last paragraph... (:

witzend_06.jpg

Squa_Tront_05.jpg

Squa_Tront_05b.jpg

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  Another one of those Kurtzman covers I never really "saw" until I had one in hand, as with so many of Kurtzman's war covers it's utterly brutal when you actually look at it.  6 issues to go to finish off the title, and the EC war books in general, and the Kurtzman edited books as a whole...

Two_Fisted_Tales_28.jpg

That's another of Kurtzman's game changing covers that gets almost completely ignored. The majority of buyers equate EC with horror only. They're missing out.

I once had all the Kurtzman New Trends; it's a satisfying set to assemble. I'd say good luck, but we both know that nothing's going to stop you! :applause: 

19 hours ago, Raze said:

Got this for a great price! Now I only need issues 3, 13 to have the run...so if you have one let me know!!!

Scan 2020-6-5 23.23.41.jpg

Congrats and a very nice copy! Such cool books and still affordable. I finished mine off quite a while ago. Now, I'm working on upgrades as they come my way.

comfrontlinecombatwholerun.jpg

Does anyone have a copy or a link to somewhere that shows the original ad for the Gaines books? I remember CBG having an ad (I think!) . 

I was also wondering, did anyone buy a complete set of the Gaines books when they were first released and still have them today? 

I only started collecting EC last year, but they are quickly becoming my favorite books to buy! 

Edited by Silver

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Squa Tront 3 & 4; 4 does have the other two EC 3d stories from #3 in 2d.  Does anybody know how to distinguish 1st and 2nd printings on these two issues?

Squa_Tront_03.jpg

Squa_Tront_04.jpg

According to Doug Sulipa:

3(Summer/1969; Black "Squa Tront" on Title pages shows thru to Contents page, thus FIRST printing and

#4(Summer/1970; Ingels-c; Matt stock-c, thus 1st Printing

This is all I have been able to find on these.

21 minutes ago, chevalmeow said:

According to Doug Sulipa:

3(Summer/1969; Black "Squa Tront" on Title pages shows thru to Contents page, thus FIRST printing and

#4(Summer/1970; Ingels-c; Matt stock-c, thus 1st Printing

This is all I have been able to find on these.

Pretty sure they're both 2nd printings, then.  Still nice to have, and were cheap for the pair.