• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, JakeM said:

My CSS #22 upgrade came in yesterday, and my goooodness, this is a pretty 4.5 that will definitely be pressed for an even further upgrade due to the bends in the cover. I got so unbelievably lucky snagging this one. Couldn't be happier to have this as the crown jewel of my small PCH collection.

IMG_4649.jpeg

IMG_4648.jpeg

Welcome to the CSS 22 club.  I think we have a thread on the membership somewhere in the GA forum.

12 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

In my opinion, that is every bit the cover that Shock Suspenstories 6 is. Killer copy!

It's a classic cover, but other than the obvious "it's Wood EC" factor, I don't really see much to compare the two.  It actually reminds me of Frazetta's Famous Funnies #213 cover; I could see calling this the budget FF #213 in the same way the SSS #6 is called the budget Suspense #3.  Although SSS #6 is starting to get priced out of that naming...

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

It's a classic cover, but other than the obvious "it's Wood EC" factor, I don't really see much to compare the two.  It actually reminds me of Frazetta's Famous Funnies #213 cover; I could see calling this the budget FF #213 in the same way the SSS #6 is called the budget Suspense #3.  Although SSS #6 is starting to get priced out of that naming...

I’m not saying it looks like it; I’m saying it’s as well composed and executed. I think it’s as good as SSS 6. Pointy hoods don’t move my needle as much as they may for other collectors. 
I don’t know much about sci-fi, but I see the early 1950s as a classic era for it. Wood’s EC sci fi covers are, to me, definitive for the era. Thus, his sci-fi work feels more important than his (also amazing) work in other genres.

Edited by KirbyJack

13 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I’m not saying it looks like it; I’m saying it’s as well composed and executed. I think it’s as good as SSS 6. Pointy hoods don’t move my needle as much as other collectors. 
I don’t know much about sci-fi, but I see the early 1950s as a classic era for it. Wood’s EC sci fi covers are, to me, definitive for the era. Thus, his sci-fi work feels more important than his (also amazing) work in other genres.

I can pretty much agree with all of that.  I wouldn't have bought my SSS 6 for the cover alone, that's for sure... but I could see myself buying the ISF for the cover alone, although of course there's plenty of reasons to want the issue itself!

I've seen it suggested that the classic spacesuit look, with the fishbowl helmet, pretty much came from Wood's art.  It may not have started there, but his version was so definitive it became the standard.

20 hours ago, fifties said:

Welcome to the CSS 22 club.  I think we have a thread on the membership somewhere in the GA forum.

Been a member for a few years with my 2.0 - but happy to have an upgrade now while my 2.0 looks for a new home. :)

On 6/7/2020 at 5:42 AM, Silver said:

Does anyone have a copy or a link to somewhere that shows the original ad for the Gaines books? I remember CBG having an ad (I think!) . 

I was also wondering, did anyone buy a complete set of the Gaines books when they were first released and still have them today? 

I only started collecting EC last year, but they are quickly becoming my favorite books to buy! 

Okay, I found that answers to my own questions. I have felt very "EC-y" lately, so I went through my old copies of CBM's and found the following. This may have been posted previoulsy, I apologize if it has, I can't say I have read this thread going back to it's beginnings. 

The following is a reprint from CBM 80 (the whole issue is dedicated to 50 years of EC, great issue!) Says it's from CBM#2, but I have #2 and I couldn't find it. Any ways, this is what I must have been thinking of, reading this story about the opening of the GFC collection:

GFC article CBM.jpg

Edited by Silver

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

By the time I found out about these, they were mostly gone. I did get my favorite Two Fisted though. Has a light printer's crease thus the grade. For what I paid for it, I could have gotton BOTH Crime Suspense #20 AND #22...

At the time, it was a lot of money for me. New father, just bought a house. Glad to have gotton this one direct though. It has the original certificate.

comtwofisted25GAINES.jpg

My favorite TFT, too. Looking at the list, that was the #1 realistic target left, nosing out VoH 30!

Congratulations on that amazing comic!

Edited by KirbyJack

1 minute ago, KirbyJack said:

Looking at the list, that was the #1 realistic target left, nosing out VoH 30!

Congratulations on that amazing comic!

The VOH #30 was gone by the time I got this. Mostly all was left was a few Two Fisted and some New Direction. I would have gone for CSS #16 too.

6 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I’m so glad you posted that. I think I paid original ask price (or less) for my Gaines book! 
59C54125-21FE-4E1E-9D5A-91E115402330.thumb.jpeg.e8c76c343094051e8ad14f68946d2f0d.jpeg

The label is wrong... That's a DC or All American book, not an EC.  Don't get me wrong, it certainly belongs in this thread... but the label is incorrect.

I still want to get a copy some day, as I think "Death of Jesus" is hilarious as a CGC label notation.

3 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

The label is wrong... That's a DC or All American book, not an EC.  Don't get me wrong, it certainly belongs in this thread... but the label is incorrect.

I still want to get a copy some day, as I think "Death of Jesus" is hilarious as a CGC label notation.

Someday maybe I'll own a proper New Trend Gaines File Copy, but this I could afford!

2 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Someday maybe I'll own a proper New Trend Gaines File Copy, but this I could afford!

Oh, I didn't mean to run down your copy... a Gaines File Copy is a Gaines File Copy, and in some ways I find the copy from when it was still Max Gaines at AA even cooler than a "normal" Gaines File Copy.  I was just commenting the publisher listed was wrong.

It does raise the interesting point of how, in many ways, it makes sense to describe All American as having sold most of their assets to DC and then renamed themselves as EC, rather than thinking of EC as a totally new company.  I know if I ever get any of the DC/AA Picture stories from the bible, I'll file them with my EC's, not my DC's.  I actually do have the 1st print Old Testament complete, I maintain there's no way to tell who's the publisher of that other than "M. C. Gaines" if you look at the book itself.  The publisher of record is J. R. Publishing, which was on several AA books as well.