• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Silver said:

I remember thinking how expensive they seemed at the time! I couldn't afford any, but I sure wish I had bought at least one! Very cool, post the books too!

On a different note, I just got in the ISF 31 I recently picked up, I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was copy #1. Not that it really means anything, its just kind of cool. In the original article I believe it said Bill was going to keep several copies of each book. I always assumed he kept the first couple? He must of sold off whatever he kept at some point I guess. Anyone know? The ads only show the middle copies as being available to the public. 

pic319.jpg

I thought I remember him keeping a set and a set for each of his kids. I thought they were the lower graded ones. Annie Gaines probably inherited his set once he passed.

14 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Maybe not.  2 of the 4 I need are the first two issues...

I've really been trying to finish off Vault, Crypt and CSS without much luck. I've been doing well on the sci-fi issues though. I've got one SS and 3 TFT which should be easier when the right copies come along. I've about given up hope on the romance ones. Just NEVER see them available.

41 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I've really been trying to finish off Vault, Crypt and CSS without much luck. I've been doing well on the sci-fi issues though. I've got one SS and 3 TFT which should be easier when the right copies come along. I've about given up hope on the romance ones. Just NEVER see them available.

I would like to get a few more examples, but in general I'm not trying for the pre-trend books in any organized fashion.  Good look on all of those, CSS in particular is just loaded with high demand books these days.

5 hours ago, Raze said:

Heres a looooong awaited shout out to @OtherEric for this beat but complete (with added scans of missing content) 

Shock SuspenStories 14

ALL the stories were great if you don't have one get one!!! The Orphan was my favorite!

Scan 2020-6-22 20.07.13.jpg

IMHO this issue was the best reader of the entire series.  Every story a winner!

5 hours ago, Raze said:

Heres a looooong awaited shout out to @OtherEric for this beat but complete (with added scans of missing content) 

Shock SuspenStories 14

ALL the stories were great if you don't have one get one!!! The Orphan was my favorite!

Scan 2020-6-22 20.07.13.jpg

I know I said it before, but thank you for giving the book a good home.  It's beyond beat but it's got some great reading in it.  And I can't stand the thought of EC's going unappreciated.

37 minutes ago, fifties said:

IMHO this issue was the best reader of the entire series.  Every story a winner!

I really think, given its role as a "sampler" of the other genres, Feldstein and Gaines put a little extra effort into Shock and it shows, at least in the horror, crime, and shock stories.  The SF, for some reason, tends not to stand out as much.  The one war story in #1 is pretty good too, and interesting in that it's the only War story EC did that I don't think Kurtzman was involved in at some level; although some of the stuff in the latter Frontline Combat and Two-Fisted Tales he had a reduced role because he was ill at the time.

Shock #1 is high on my list, but not until after I finish off Two-Fisted Tales...

On 6/15/2020 at 5:06 PM, OtherEric said:

The label is wrong... That's a DC or All American book, not an EC.  Don't get me wrong, it certainly belongs in this thread... but the label is incorrect.

I still want to get a copy some day, as I think "Death of Jesus" is hilarious as a CGC label notation.

I stand corrected, by the way.  The indicia publisher is Educational Comics, Inc.

Well, I was going to file this with the EC's even before I saw that.  9 dollars, including tax & shipping.  Well spent, I think:

Picture_Stories_NT_2.jpg

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

I stand corrected, by the way.  The indicia publisher is Educational Comics, Inc.

Well, I was going to file this with the EC's even before I saw that.  9 dollars, including tax & shipping.  Well spent, I think:

Picture_Stories_NT_2.jpg

Gonna slab it? 😄

26 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Gonna slab it? 😄

Actually, seriously considering it.  It would be as cheap as it gets to slab a GA book, I've got the complete NT edition if for some reason I feel the need to re-read it, and as I've said before I find "death of Jesus" as a slab notation a hilarious comment on our hobby.

52 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

Land of the Lost Comics #6 (July, 1947). Art by Olive Bailey.

aKeOoXL.jpg

I would love to get a copy of that one, I think it's a great cover.  I've only got one issue of the series.

I like your avatar as well, although personally Troughton is my favorite Doctor.