• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

Every time I try to convince myself that I don’t want the New Direction books, I think about Impact 1, Piracy 6, ISF 33...

I wish I could even think like this, my brain just says I want it all :) 

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

Every time I try to convince myself that I don’t want the New Direction books, I think about Impact 1, Piracy 6, ISF 33...

Given how cheap most of the New Direction books are, you don't need to want them very much to make them worth getting.  Aces High in particular is excellent as well, Valor at least looks amazing; and I don't even think of ISF as a New Direction book.

I certainly wouldn't pay the prices I would expect for the New Trend books for most of them, though.  I think Impact #1 is grossly underrated... Master Race is one of the all time EC classics, New Direction or no.

1 hour ago, Dave Henson said:

I purchased this beautiful copy of Tales from the Crypt 35 over 20 years ago. I’m pretty sure it was a Dragon-Con show and I believe the dealer was Vincent Zurzolo.

66BF7B26-01D7-4F41-ADC7-AABC2A5193DF.thumb.jpeg.f9c8d578f581deabb3c36902048129d9.jpeg

At the time, they were running a special -  with every purchase you got a free photo with Chanel lol 

27935B78-4CA3-46B7-AD03-61C113255004.thumb.jpeg.0781329d64b0541d9659770d5e0b1543.jpeg

If you look carefully, eventually you’ll find the book in the pic! 

Comic? Who cares?   :roflmao:

23 hours ago, fifties said:

Neither do I, but rather a continuation of Weird Science Fantasy, itself a continuation of Weird Science and Weird Fantasy.

Except the stories don’t pack the same punch.

12 hours ago, fifties said:

Of course not, given that they had to conform to the CCA.  But even a watered down EC was better than any of the competition.

The art was awesome, DC sci from the same time frame was pretty good too. I was surprised to see how much the code affected the stories between WSF and ISF. 

Today's book, 3 Two-Fisted Tales to go!

Something that occurred to me as I get close to finishing this run:  Two-Fisted Tales is probably the title that best shows the history of EC in some ways.  The first 4 issues, where it was a mix of adventure stories before going to pure war starting with #22, are in some ways the last of the Pre-Trend books; showing EC working its way to the classic New Trend War titles.  And then the last 6 issues, which went back to being a mix of adventure stories, are of a very different sort, and it some ways it's the first of the New Direction books, even more so than Piracy.

Anybody else have thoughts on the matter?

Two_Fisted_Tales_26.jpg

Got the pre-order for the new EC book by Grant Geissman entitled "The History of EC comics" the book is extra large about 12 by 16 and  592 pages and looks amazing...the best book ever published on EC hand down. and ..on the website their are 15 preview pages. The book contains over 100 rarities from the Gaines family archives that have never seen print. Over 1000 illustrations, the best $200 one can spend. I pre-ordered today...great stuff Check it  out on the Taschen  website

Edited by Mmehdy

12 minutes ago, Raze said:

Hi Guys and Gals!!

I just got a new EC book! And it is a first for me in the fact that it is my FIRST ever CGC graded purchased book! I dont really like graded books especially for my EC books. Because we love to read them!

As a bonus this is a cover Ive always liked for some reason. Its nothing special but now I have one.

I was surprised that I even won this book! Especially for the price. With shipping it was under $50 which I thought it would go for more.

Mads on eBay seem to be finishing fairly reasonable and in my price range. I’d rather be getting other titles but hey get what you can get right.

Now onto the most important thing as you can tell it is a super high grade book for me:roflmao:a CGC 5.0... on a scale from 1 to 10 with the rest of my EC collection this thing is a 19.9 ultra rare super near mint! 

Now Ive got to find a youtube video on how to rescue this thing...I think @MrBedrock has one, so Ill look for it.

ED3AE1BB-FCF6-43E4-B598-DBA7371D7B18.jpeg

When I sold most of my EC's to pay rent... this is one of three I kept my copy of, along with the Mad #1 and Weird Fantasy #17.  I know it's not everybody's favorite, but I consider Cowboy one of the funniest things Kurtzman ever did in MAD.  Great Pickup, Raze!

5 hours ago, drwente said:

I know it's restored, but the colors on this book are really nice and kind of match the PLOD :bigsmile:

Crime Suspenstories #3 FC CB.jpg

I love that cover.

11 hours ago, Raze said:

Now Ive got to find a youtube video on how to rescue this thing.

Yep, Bedrock has a good one. Here's another one that's almost as good as Bedrock's :grin: . An "old style" slab example comes first (you have to watch the end of that example to see the removal from the inner well), and the "new style" slab example starts around 17:00.:

https://youtu.be/fN3Po3bh9c8

Edited by EC ed