• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

This came in the mail today. Was looking through it and noticed the letter column. The whole column was devoted to a story called "Blood Brothers" in Shock #13. It is a racially charged story. Is about a bigot finding out his life was saved by a blood transfusion from a black man. Written by Al Feldstein and beautifully rendered by Wally Wood. A must read story and one of the best of the "preachies".

Amazing that this appeared over 60 years ago. EC was never afraid to shy away from topics like this.

The first two letters were written by obviously, bigotted people. EC didn't even edit them and even left in the "offensive" words. The other 12 letters were in support of the story. Nice to know that even back then, people were decent and tollerent.

We still got a ways to go but working on it...

By the way, anybody other than me, think at first glance these are ape hands? :roflmao:

comshocksuspense15.jpg

And there were non-minorities like Fredric Wertham who were against racial prejudice even before then too. Even Spark’s Green Lama #5 (May, 1945) was released long before EC regularly tackled real life topics. I think it’s just a matter of unifying humans together as respected equals, but that simple misunderstandings often lead to complicated, but still blunt conclusions that need clearing up. The little piece of good may have a tough time navigating through the sea of bad, but the good always finds a way to make it to the top sooner or later.

XQKdev1.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

15 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Now, the cool part... Upon getting this solid mid grade copy, my collection of this title is now complete! Other than a couple, I need to upgrade a bit, I'm done. This is my third and last set of this title. Good thing because if were to try to start from scratch again, I probably wouldn't want to pay for them all...

Of course, I paid a little more than I wanted to but I have usually found that is what happens on that last issue you need.

comshocksuspenseset.jpg

Gratz on completing the run!  Shock is the one title I'm pretty sure I'll be able to complete but am not super close on yet.  The 15 definitely has some heat on it these days from the listings I've seen.

10 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Gratz on completing the run!  Shock is the one title I'm pretty sure I'll be able to complete but am not super close on yet.  The 15 definitely has some heat on it these days from the listings I've seen.

Wasn't aware of that. Must be why I had to pay up a bit. I see #5,6,7 and 12 getting pricey to real pricey. When I sold my collection, I kept these plus #20 (#1). I was lucky to build up the others fairly easily.

I see being able to finish off the whole thing as I probably have a little more than 3/4ths of them and most of the tough or expensive ones already. Crypt of Terror and Those last two Crime Patrols will cost me though...

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wasn't aware of that. Must be why I had to pay up a bit. I see #5,6,7 and 12 getting pricey to real pricey. When I sold my collection, I kept these plus #20 (#1). I was lucky to build up the others fairly easily.

I see being able to finish off the whole thing as I probably have a little more than 3/4ths of them and most of the tough or expensive ones already. Crypt of Terror and Those last two Crime Patrols will cost me though...

Yeah, I'll need to get the 5-7-12 before very long.  But 1 is surprisingly affordable and I've got the 2, 3, 6, and 13 so I figure I'm ahead of the curve.

It was pointed out to me by Roy Thomas in All-Star Companion Volume 4 that there were Charlie Chan-esque comedic relief detectives in International Comics #2 (Summer, 1947), which he says verges on being racist. I suppose even an otherwise forward-thinking company like EC could be guilty of goofing up in regards to race, but are also willing to learn from their mistakes as well.

CQAYMcR.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

2 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

It was pointed out to me by Roy Thomas in All-Star Companion Volume 4 that there were Charlie Chan-esque comedic relief detectives in International Comics #2 (Summer, 1947), which he says verges on being racist. I suppose even an otherwise forward-thinking company like EC could be guilty of goofing up in regards to race, but are also willing to learn from their mistakes as well.

CQAYMcR.jpg

Still early days for EC Al didnt join EC till Spring of 48, Bill started editing Crime Patrol with issue 9.

2 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

Still early days for EC Al didnt join EC till Spring of 48, Bill started editing Crime Patrol with issue 9.

Still doesn’t mean what EC did with Diggy Do should be overlooked. I’m glad people like Al came in to sort things out though, and attempted to emphasize on more hope for race relations. I’m sure people like Wertham would have appreciated that stuff more had he taken the time to overreact less and analyze more stories beyond their horror ones.

Edited by Electricmastro

11 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I just missed out on a handful of super cheap ECs on eBay

Got distracted making dinner.

Yeah, me too. There were only a couple I needed so I watched them. I had my eye on a TFTC that could have been in my wheel house. These have been bringing a fair amount over guide in any condition so I figured this would be the case. Well, I got distracted and forgot. I checked later and I think it went a little under guide! (shrug)

Damn, I snooze, I lose...

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, me too. There were only a couple I needed so I watched them. I had my eye on a TFTC that could have been in my wheel house. These have been bringing a fair amount over guide in any condition so I figured this would be the case. Well, I got distracted and forgot. I checked later and I think it went a little under guide! (shrug)

Damn, I snooze, I lose...

What issue of Tales from the Crypt?