• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I remember the 2000 SDCC well. It was the EC reunion. I rarely attended many of the panels, but I went to all of these. And the autograph session was totally amazing. A row of maybe 8 or 9 artists lined up next to each other. Just went from one to the next with my jaw on the floor. 

I even wrangled my way into the banquet and sat at Evan’s table. We both have a love of WWI aircraft so we had a nice talk. 

Easily the best con I have ever attended. I shopped the dealer’s area but can’t even remember what I bought. So historic and the end of an era. Within a few years, most of these gentlemen had passed away.

Somewhere I have my program signed by all the guys. I should try and dig it out. 

Best Con Ever!

ec artists.jpg

If anyone who likes this thread isn’t a member of the EC Fan-Addict Club group on Facebook I would recommend checking it out, it’s very active and a lot of cool posts there. 

On 7/20/2020 at 2:01 PM, Dave Henson said:

Happy Monday 🤪. I received my Shock Illustrated 3 today back from CGC. I purchased this one about 25 years ago and it’s not a Gaines file copy.

CGC 8.5 White Pages

D11AE6F5-D0D3-410B-BC16-618626133949.thumb.jpeg.4da36d037cad5872f74c7d7c6a24b435.jpeg

There are 8 copies graded higher in the census. I’ve seen pics of the 9.0, 9.2, 9.4 and one of the 9.8. All those are Gaines file copies and none of those have white pages.

It would be cool to know the journey of this copy but perhaps it’s too shocking to illustrate. 

That book is shockingly beautiful!!!!(worship)(worship)(worship)

13 minutes ago, EC ed said:

Speaking of the Facebook group...I recently did a mail call post over there that I should also share here...

Some of you know that I have an old journal thread here (which could use updating) that chronicles my EC completist exploits. Long story short, for years I have been a mere handful of obscure promo books away from having a copy of every book EC has ever published (pre-1957, that is), including the promos and obscure variants (where they exist), etc...

There is an awesome Canadian boardie (as well as a top-shelf comic collector, comic historian, etc.) called @eccomic who himself has one of the best collections of rarities that I know of - if you have seen his posts here, you know what I mean. Over the last month or so, he offered to sell me TWO of these EC promo "unicorns." They are now both in my hands (by the way, these are not the first unicorns he has helped me obtain - he sold me my copy of Lucky Fights it Through some years ago). How does he come up with these books? I don't know, but I'm glad he does. :D

EC published two promos for the Lutheran Church - "Across the Seas in a War Torn World" was one of them ("The Church that was Built with Bread" was the other). In the past, I have actually contacted a Lutheran minister to ask whether he had any idea where I could find these books...like, tucked away in some secret Lutheran closet somewhere - he had no idea what I was talking about. Turns out I didn't need a Lutheran minister...I needed our friend, @eccomic! Hard to know for sure, but I think it's safe to say that there aren't many copies of this promo left on the planet - one of 'em is now at my house!!: <3

acrosstheseas_f.jpg.77b456f91bcafc0151b37d3407407606.jpg

EC published a number of Reddy Kilowatt promos, but the "Light's Diamond Jubilee" version is one of the harder to come by. For me...no longer:

reddykilowatt2B_f.jpg.55cd9fbaef4f0213aa02888aed895e66.jpg

Two more off the list - thanks again, @eccomic! I thank you, and my collection thanks you! (worship)

Very nice pickups!  I've never seen that particular variation on the Reddy Kilowatt book; I know there were quite a few versions over the years.  (Mine is a post-1957 version.)

On 7/26/2020 at 7:39 PM, EC ed said:

Speaking of the Facebook group...I recently did a mail call post over there that I should also share here...

Some of you know that I have an old journal thread here (which could use updating) that chronicles my EC completist exploits. Long story short, for years I have been a mere handful of obscure promo books away from having a copy of every book EC has ever published (pre-1957, that is), including the promos and obscure variants (where they exist), etc...

There is an awesome Canadian boardie (as well as a top-shelf comic collector, comic historian, etc.) called @eccomic who himself has one of the best collections of rarities that I know of - if you have seen his posts here, you know what I mean. Over the last month or so, he offered to sell me TWO of these EC promo "unicorns." They are now both in my hands (by the way, these are not the first unicorns he has helped me obtain - he sold me my copy of Lucky Fights it Through some years ago). How does he come up with these books? I don't know, but I'm glad he does. :D

EC published two promos for the Lutheran Church - "Across the Seas in a War Torn World" was one of them ("The Church that was Built with Bread" was the other). In the past, I have actually contacted a Lutheran minister to ask whether he had any idea where I could find these books...like, tucked away in some secret Lutheran closet somewhere - he had no idea what I was talking about. Turns out I didn't need a Lutheran minister...I needed our friend, @eccomic! Hard to know for sure, but I think it's safe to say that there aren't many copies of this promo left on the planet - one of 'em is now at my house!!: <3

acrosstheseas_f.jpg.77b456f91bcafc0151b37d3407407606.jpg

Great. Never saw this before. Is the artist known? 

43 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Congrats! Nice group. Good to see #13 raw. Got a killer Frazetta story inside. 

I just got #15 to complete my run myself. (Third and last time for me). 

Hang in, you’ll get it done!

Thanks. Just read it - great story. Blood Brothers was also a fantastic story.  Can’t go wrong with any of these. 

ECs HAVE to be read. It’s great to have nice graded copies but you at least have to get low grade or reprints to appreciate them. 

I even got a GFC gasp! Ungraded. Bought it from Russ when they came out. Have actually read it a couple of times (carefully). 

2 hours ago, conan09279 said:

7 more to go to complete the set.  

SS13 (front).jpeg

SS15.jpeg

SS16.jpeg

SS17.jpeg

Nice, you're ahead of me.  Then again, if I had spent differently, I could have been down to two or three left... But would still have the #6 looming ahead.

Pretty sure Shock is my next project once I finish Two Fisted Tales, since finding the 2nd 3-D book is less a project and more looking for a target of opportunity.

Great pickups all, do track down a reprint of #16 if you don't crack it.  "A Kind of Justice" is an absolute masterpiece even by EC standards.