• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Two recent pickups. The Vault was a CGC 4.5(already cracked and read).

dORISW.jpg

Even if I'm mostly just going for selected examples of the Horror EC's, I wouldn't mind getting a copy of Haunt 28 someday.  The hearse pulling away from the reader into what I choose to see as a overcast sunset just has a lovely elegiac feel that fits the end of the EC horror perfectly.  Just a beautiful cover.

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

You’re in for a surprise when you read that story.

Oh, I've seen a reprint of the issue.  I agree that the tone of the story doesn't match my response to the cover, and EC being EC I wouldn't want it to.  But given Ghastly's "Farewell" with his signature on the first story, and the crying Old Witch on the first page, I would say the mood on the cover was probably quite deliberate.

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I assume you mean high prices. Were these the high grade, great title issues? Were there any mid grade issues and were they crazy too? 

I would assume the horror and crime issues lead the pack. 

You talkin' to me?  ECs have been on the rise for awhile...mostly horror and classic cover issues though.  I made that photo joke a few years ago, and it's just gotten worse since then...:whatthe:  I always figured the reprints would keep EC prices low, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

You talkin' to me?  ECs have been on the rise for awhile...mostly horror and classic cover issues though.  I made that photo joke a few years ago, and it's just gotten worse since then...:whatthe:  I always figured the reprints would keep EC prices low, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

I think it did keep the prices lower for a very long time.  But with our current Golden Age of reprints, more people are turning to the EC’s as the a-list books again.  For now it’s heavier on high grade & classic covers, but even that may be shifting somewhat.

Hey guys and gals! 

I got another EC! And its a Mad 23. And its in ghoulish shape! My favorite kind!

But now Im going to say some blasphemy...Im not a fan of the Mad comics. I enjoyed the magazines from the 80s-90s (the 3-5 copies I had) :/ Im 42 and and think most of the jokes are lost on me, I understand some but they just aren't my thing. 

Ive picked up a few on eBay because they were cheap and I collect ECs but I think I might just buy them and not read them.:(

Scan 2020-8-7 22.06.46.jpg

Scan 2020-8-7 22.07.34.jpg

54 minutes ago, Raze said:

Hey guys and gals! 

I got another EC! And its a Mad 23. And its in ghoulish shape! My favorite kind!

But now Im going to say some blasphemy...Im not a fan of the Mad comics. I enjoyed the magazines from the 80s-90s (the 3-5 copies I had) :/ Im 42 and and think most of the jokes are lost on me, I understand some but they just aren't my thing. 

Ive picked up a few on eBay because they were cheap and I collect ECs but I think I might just buy them and not read them.:(

Fair enough.  The comic book Mad is not an easy book for contemporary readers in a lot of ways.  It's absolutely stuffed with topical references, just to start.  And the content can be a weird mix; Kurtzman was being wildly experimental with the book.  Which frequently creates some amazingly funny content, and sometimes falls flatter than the proverbial pancake.  And you can't always get two fans to agree with which is which.  I find "Cowboy" in issue #20 to be side-splittingly hilarious but most other people aren't as impressed.  Never mind the fact that, due to the tight production schedule, there's a surprisingly large amount of filler throughout the run. 

With all that said, I still recommend that if you do pick up more issues, you read them at least once... I strongly suspect there's at least a few gems in the run you'll enjoy immensely.  If nothing else, the art is, as always with EC's, amazing. 

Just for a point of comparison, how do you feel about Panic?  It's edited by Feldstein, not Kurtzman, and the humor is a lot closer to what the later issues of Mad are like once Kurtzman left. 

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I still recommend that if you do pick up more issues, you read them at least once... I strongly suspect there's at least a few gems in the run you'll enjoy immensely.  If nothing else, the art is, as always with EC's, amazing. 

Seconded. Slog thru it!

15 hours ago, Raze said:

Hey guys and gals! 

A very interesting perspective.  Of course you recognize that the fodder for their topical humor was reflected from a society that existed 65 years ago, and many aspects of culture were different.  A person born after that period couldn't possibly understand the basis for some of the humor unless they were well versed in the events of the period.

If EC humor is not your thing, why waste money on those titles?  Perhaps better spent on one Vault, Tales, Crime, or Shock, rather than half a dozen Mad or Panic issues.