• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

Question for you guys. A couple weeks ago I noticed an auction with a Felix the Cat 3-D comic in I believe, a CGC slab. It was listed as “From the personal collection of William Gaines” and was also on the label on the slab. 

I bid strong on it because I just wanted to have a book from his personal collection but was blown out of the water. 

My question is, did Gaines have a personal comic collection other than his EC file copies? Anybody see any others? First one I have ever seen. 

I enjoy having a few “personal collection” copies from people who are noted people in the business. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Question for you guys. A couple weeks ago I noticed an auction with a Felix the Cat 3-D comic in I believe, a CGC slab. It was listed as “From the personal collection of William Gaines” and was also on the label on the slab. 

I bid strong on it because I just wanted to have a book from his personal collection but was blown out of the water. 

My question is, did Gaines have a personal comic collection other than his EC file copies? Anybody see any others? First one I have ever seen. 

I enjoy having a few “personal collection” copies from people who are noted people in the business. 

I'm guessing these were puchased while EC was researching the copyright of the 3D process while preparing their own 3D comics.

Edited by Hap Hazard

I agree with you @Hap Hazard. The only ones I've seen are obscure 3-D issues. I think that Bill had a few of these assorted comics kicking around his offices/vaults that he likely used for reference material. They clearly weren't Gaines File Copies of his own publications, so whoever discovered them (Russ Cochran/Bob Overstreet, perhaps?) just hung this label on them at some point. I'm not aware of any sizeable "personal collection" of comics that he had...I don't think that's a thing.

Here was the one that grabbed my attention. Sold by Dave & Adam. I wonder where it originated from? It is noted as such on the CGC label. Odd, they would certify this and yet, not the Jerry Garcia collection that was from a large public auction with lots of documentation. The "other guys" have certified a few of these. I didn't bid on any of the Crime Suspenstories that were recently offered. One, they went VERY high for the grades and Two, they were being sold bu Robolard (Danny D I believe). So I left them alone.

I think everybody's assumption is right. Makes sense. I got all excited thinking Bill had a nice stash of his own books...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Felix-the-Cat-3-D-Comic-Book-1-CGC-6-0-C-OW-From-theCollection-William-Gaines-/373138622600?hash=item56e0cb8888%3Ag%3ArCQAAOSwNWxfKv9~&nma=true&si=KDuG3fdukVkDb%2FzQvmqFjYlU2rs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

12 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

Here are a couple of Weird Fantasy books I recently purchased, doing a little up grading.

Weird Fantasy18.jpg

Weird Fantasy19.jpg

Weird Fantasy21.jpg

Weird Fantasy22.jpg

Nice grabs Hap. I’m doing the same thing on my ECs as well as other books. My sweet spot is 5.0-8.0. Sold, clean, tight copies that present well but can still be handled and read with out worry. And, won’t break the bank. 

Now, I’m not opposed to real high grade either nor am I opposed to low grade GA that I don’t have. Books in many cases can be upgraded but in the case of many GA books you often have to take what you can find.

By the way, seems like about every copy of #19 I see seems to have that fade in the red on the top left in the vertical word “Science”...(shrug)

Edited by Robot Man

I'm pretty sure the same company was printing EC, Atlas and DC at this time and the magenta ink was not stable, resulting in bleeding into the surrounding area of the cover.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:48 AM, EC ed said:

Yep - that issue (along with several other issues across a few different titles that came out around the same time - for example, Weird Science 18) seems to be plagued by a very unstable batch of red ink. I haven't heard a definitive answer on what's going on - i.e., did Gaines temporarily switch printing companies, did his existing printer just buy a batch of bad ink, etc... (shrug) . Aside from the fading in "Science", one of the things I look at is the shirt of that astronaut in the bottom left corner - his shirt is supposed to be bright red :p.

If anyone ever finds a copy where his shirt is bright red, sell it to me :D (I've seen a few out there...strangely, they're mostly lower grade copies). The pedigree copies aren't immune to this problem - here come two scans. The Gaines File Copy used to be mine, but I "downgraded" into the White Mountain because I liked the colors better...it still has that problem, though:

weirdfantasy19gfc_f.jpg

weirdfantasy19wm_f.jpg

I have noticed a lot of magenta gain on press especially on ECs. As noted in the title blue area on the second copy. 

I’m with you. I would much rather have the second copy. Rich color is far more important than technical condition. 

3 hours ago, fifties said:

Knocking on the door of the Tales Of Terror club, requesting entry, as I finally bagged one.  Cross posting from the recent precode purchase thread.

Tales Of Terror 2.jpg

Nice grab! The annuals have always been my favorite ECs. Especially the horror ones. I also love TFT #2 a lot. Such a dramatic Davis effort. 

Hey guys, my brother David (Zoso99) is running a sales thread of EC crime and horror in the GA sales forum. He’s new to the boards, if anyone wants to purchase from him you can do so without worry, he’s a standup person. He just got back into collecting recently. I totally vouch for him. 

Danny