• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

Thanks for everyone giving their opinions on which issue to buy a few weeks ago. I tried wining both auctions but only got 

MAD 9 and its a mess cover split and detached, first wrap detached and brittle chipping on the spine.

As per usual I read it and it went over my head... at least I like the cover!

Scan 2020-9-13 02.35.47.jpg

Edited by Raze

11 minutes ago, Raze said:

Thanks for everyone giving their opinions on which issue to buy a few weeks ago. I tried wining both auctions but only got 

MAD 9 and its a mess cover split and detached, first wrap detached and brittle chipping on the spine.

As per usual I read it and it went over my head... at least I like the cover!

That issue has a great cover, and is loaded with EC talent; Kurtzman, Wood, Elder, Severin & Davis.  The last story, "Hah, Noon" was a parody of the 1952 Academy Award winning film, "High Noon"...But you knew that.

1 minute ago, fifties said:

That issue has a great cover, and is loaded with EC talent; Kurtzman, Wood, Elder, Severin & Davis.  The last story, "Hah, Noon" was a parody of the 1952 Academy Award winning film, "High Noon"...But you knew that.

Nope Didnt know about the movie! Now I do.

And yes the art is always great! Its just the stories, Im 42 and know a few references and maybe pick up some things hear or there but its mostly lost on me.

Thanks for the info!

I can understand that; trying to decipher an actual situation by reading a parody of it would be tough if one wasn't aware.  I haven't read a Sunday newspaper this century if not longer, but there used to be a color comics section in The Times, Herald Examiner, and I imagine any other major papers.  One long running strip was "Little Orphan Annie", which was the basis for Wood's lead story, "Little Orphan Melvin".

Not all their parodies however concern situations present in the early '50's; "Batboy and Rubin" is HILARIOUS, as is "Superduperman", as just two examples of timeless subjects.

So, I wasn't really looking to get anything EC for a bit, due to budget constraints and a couple other opportunities.  But then eBay offered a coupon for $25 off anything $25.01 or more, and this was one of the issues most in need of an upgrade I had. It's a Lone Star 1.8, otherwise known as a nicely presenting 2.5 or 3.0:

Valor_01.jpg

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

So, I wasn't really looking to get anything EC for a bit, due to budget constraints and a couple other opportunities.  But then eBay offered a coupon for $25 off anything $25.01 or more, and this was one of the issues most in need of an upgrade I had. It's a Lone Star 1.8, otherwise known as a nicely presenting 2.5 or 3.0:

Valor_01.jpg

When and where is this coupon?!?!?

Cool book btw!

On 9/15/2020 at 10:51 AM, KirbyJack said:

Excellent! 
Who is the host? Vault Keeper? Crypt Keeper? Both? 

No host for 1. In fact, there are some comic historians who believe the cover and a couple of stories for the first issue actually date to 1948, when Bill Gaines made a deal with. Shelly Moldoff to do horror comics. The deal fell through, but "Zombie Terror" in Moon Girl 5, plus the cover and some of the contents of Haunt 1, make up some of what would have appeared earlier.

The Old Witch does appear in the second issue in a story drawn by Jack Women(definitely not Ghastly's Old Witch). And then she's in the rest of 'em.

The stories from the unpublished "Tales of the Supernatural" are: 

1. "Vampire of the Bayou" / Moon Girl #4 (summer 1948)

2.  "Zombie Terror" / Moon Girl #5 (Fall 1948)

3.  "The Werewolf's Curse" / Crime Patrol #11 (April-May 1949)

4. "The Hanged Man's Revenge" / Crime Patrol #12 (May-June 1949)

5. "Out of the Grave", a text piece first printed in Haunt of Fear #15 (#1) 

I like posting this as it forwards my Moon Girl #4 agenda. :bigsmile: