• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2020 at 4:35 PM, Black_Adam said:

Recent pickup. One of those covers I just can't resist when raw, mid-grade copies appear. No offense to those with Gaines File Copies, but I like my 70 year-old ECs to look 70 years old! :preach:

5492832.jpg

I just got one too from a boardie :cloud9:

Also, for all you EC diehards....anyone know the first time "Ghastly" appears as Ingels' calling card? Curious is all :)

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

I just got one too from a boardie :cloud9:

Also, for all you EC diehards....anyone know the first time "Ghastly" appears as Ingels' calling card? Curious is all :)

Not sure when EC started promoting him as Ghastly, but my guess as for the first time the moniker appeared on one of his covers would be Haunt of Fear #11.

On 9/8/2020 at 4:35 PM, Black_Adam said:

Recent pickup. One of those covers I just can't resist when raw, mid-grade copies appear. No offense to those with Gaines File Copies, but I like my 70 year-old ECs to look 70 years old! :preach:

5492832.jpg

This Ghastly cover is one of the top 5 precode horror covers inmho. Look at how the flesh just rots. And this cover is awesome despite the masthead and hosts taking up prime real estate. 

Edited by bronze johnny

On 9/4/2020 at 10:08 AM, Robot Man said:

Nice grabs Hap. I’m doing the same thing on my ECs as well as other books. My sweet spot is 5.0-8.0. Sold, clean, tight copies that present well but can still be handled and read with out worry. And, won’t break the bank. 

Now, I’m not opposed to real high grade either nor am I opposed to low grade GA that I don’t have. Books in many cases can be upgraded but in the case of many GA books you often have to take what you can find.

By the way, seems like about every copy of #19 I see seems to have that fade in the red on the top left in the vertical word “Science”...(shrug)

In the spring 1953 issues all of the titles changed publishing format from their larger thicker paper golden age style to the atomic age format.  It’s never been confirmed that this was a new printer, but is likely. During the first few months, the unstable reds plagued the books in the line until they could get it worked out. No quite the same well documented printing issue situation from later on with Impact 1. Finding copies with less of the effect as others is about as good as it gets. Copies completely unaffected don’t seem to exist. One of the many reasons that the latter issues are so much harder than the earlier to acquire in high grade. 

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned the 17 double cover ECs on the bay right now. Wow, 17 of them! How someone assembled that collection is beyond me. I was thinking of going after the 3D #2 but poof! There went that. I'm afraid I will be outside looking in on these...

But I do have this consolation prize from the "Paul" collection. Have always loved this cover. When I got the chance, I jumped all over it.

comfrontlinecombat13.jpg

I didn't discover the auctions till last night almost fell out of my chair when I saw all the double covers on auction!