• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Dave Henson said:

There were several EC hardcover sets in great shape on eBay including Haunt of Fear with the slip case.  The auctions ended late last night. I set bids on most of them and felt they were fairly decent bids. Alas, I didn’t win any. 😢

But I’m in no rush. Someday!!

Most of the Cochran sets are not that expensive if your watching Ebay, The real pricey one is the Haunt of Fear hardcovers with the slipcase. Their was not enough slipcases produced to enclose all the books, so lots of people watching for complete HOF sets.

I was a little surprised to see what VOH and TFTC brought. Didn’t notice HOF. I put up my sets of WS, WF and WSF up for sale and they didn’t bring anything close. Horror is hot. I recently completed my originals of HOF. Maybe I should sell my hardbound set. What did it sell for?

Well guys Ive gotten a few EC books in the last 2 weeks. I like to read them before I post them but its going to be awhile before I get to them all.

First I got another MAD...Issue 17. I got this on ebay under $20. The description said

Inner cover has tape on spine . Black and white story in middle of the book pages 1-4 are detached from spine. Pages 5 and 6 from same story are detached from top staple. Book is complete.

When I got the book and counted pages it was missing 3 wraps. The missing story is "meet miss potgold". Seller refunded all the money and told me to keep the book. That was nice of him since I told him Id send it back.

On the 3rd of October I went to a LCS that knows I collect ECs and got a hard to find book (for me in my price range).

I got a Two-Fisted Tales 18 (1) and its a mess! Tape color touch winkles and all but I love it! I stay away from color touch on my books. I only had 1 before this and it was a gift. I have never knowingly bought a color touch book. Cant wait to read it!

Next Crime Suspenstories 8. Got this on ebay no problems! Yay! 

And the last book, again ebay and its a mess. But which of my books are not?  

Crime Suspenstories 20 this was a collecting goal for the year. Its becoming more out of my price range so I decided that I can go a little higher since I had extra to spend this month due to overtime. 

This was the most I have paid for a single issue with shipping. This is a record year for what I'm spending on single books. But when I got it there were undisclosed problems that was not in the description. Seller was kind and we came to a decent refund making this the second most Ive spent on a book by $3.

Scan 2020-10-15 23.37.23.jpg

Scan 2020-10-4 11.23.13.jpg

Scan 2020-10-15 23.38.07.jpg

Scan 2020-10-15 23.36.40.jpg

8 minutes ago, Raze said:

Well guys Ive gotten a few EC books in the last 2 weeks. I like to read them before I post them but its going to be awhile before I get to them all.

First I got another MAD...Issue 17. I got this on ebay under $20. The description said

Inner cover has tape on spine . Black and white story in middle of the book pages 1-4 are detached from spine. Pages 5 and 6 from same story are detached from top staple. Book is complete.

When I got the book and counted pages it was missing 3 wraps. The missing story is "meet miss potgold". Seller refunded all the money and told me to keep the book. That was nice of him since I told him Id send it back.

On the 3rd of October I went to a LCS that knows I collect ECs and got a hard to find book (for me in my price range).

I got a Two-Fisted Tales 18 (1) and its a mess! Tape color touch winkles and all but I love it! I stay away from color touch on my books. I only had 1 before this and it was a gift. I have never knowingly bought a color touch book. Cant wait to read it!

Crime Suspenstories 20 this was a collecting goal for the year. Its becoming more out of my price range so I decided that I can go a little higher since I had extra to spend this month due to overtime. 

This was the most I have paid for a single issue with shipping. This is a record year for what I'm spending on single books. But when I got it there were undisclosed problems that was not in the description. Seller was kind and we came to a decent refund making this the second most Ive spent on a book by $3.

What a great batch of books, Raze!

Let me know if you ever upgrade the Mad #17... I could use the cover on my copy.

Mad_017.jpg

9 hours ago, Raze said:

Fun group Raze. Including two big keys! I have been plagued buying comics on eBay lately. Got a real nice VOH only to find it was a married copy. The entire contents were slightly smaller than the covers. Extra staples inside. Ended up getting a huge partial refund so I kept it as a hole filler. 

And then there was this. Described as very light water ripple on cover with no stain. Looked pretty nice otherwise.  I didn’t get any further than opening the cover.  Back it went. NO mold books allowed in my junk pile!

024A93AF-ADFA-4357-B8A3-26F719026263.jpeg

My luck in the past year has been pretty bad. Slightly over half of my purchases have had to go back. 

Granted, these are lower grade readers. But I expect them to be “reasonably” close to published grade and of course complete. 

Anybody who posts no description without the “not a professional grader”, “no returns” and doesn’t have perfect feedback, gets their auctions closed by me. 

B26D394E-67ED-49AB-BFA3-F7550DBBE567.jpeg

F2C93FA1-3BE2-4B53-B514-9204F95755B7.jpeg

B2A15788-CD49-4C6F-BC33-D692964ADD73.jpeg

On 10/14/2020 at 12:31 PM, Robot Man said:

I was a little surprised to see what VOH and TFTC brought. Didn’t notice HOF. I put up my sets of WS, WF and WSF up for sale and they didn’t bring anything close. Horror is hot. I recently completed my originals of HOF. Maybe I should sell my hardbound set. What did it sell for?

HOF Hardcover with Slipcase sells in the 300-600 range

On 10/16/2020 at 8:10 AM, Robot Man said:

My luck in the past year has been pretty bad. Slightly over half of my purchases have had to go back. 

Granted, these are lower grade readers. But I expect them to be “reasonably” close to published grade and of course complete. 

Anybody who posts no description without the “not a professional grader”, “no returns” and doesn’t have perfect feedback, gets their auctions closed by me. 

B26D394E-67ED-49AB-BFA3-F7550DBBE567.jpeg

F2C93FA1-3BE2-4B53-B514-9204F95755B7.jpeg

B2A15788-CD49-4C6F-BC33-D692964ADD73.jpeg

My informal survey seems to indicate that 80% of ebay comic dealers cannot grade to save their lives...I especially like the one's who say they are not a professional grader and tell you to look at the photos.  Then, they show one photo that is out of focus and doesn't enlarge...:roflmao:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

5 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

My informal survey seems to indicate that 80% of ebay comic dealers cannot grade to save their lives...I especially like the one's who say they are not a professional grader and tell you to look at the photos.  Then, they show one photo that is out of focus and doesn't enlarge...:roflmao:

True on both accounts!

On 10/15/2020 at 10:08 PM, Raze said:

And a HUGE thank you to @Raze, who hooked me up with this book to marry with my copy with the damaged cover.  Now I've just got to figure out the best way to do that... probably pull the center wraps from my damaged cover copy.  Not sure if the staples alignment is close enough to actually reattach them, or if I should just lay the pages in.  Suggestions welcome.

Mad_017.jpg

11 hours ago, thejudge01 said:

Finally got a Canadian edition of Mad #1

20201021_204504.jpg

Very cool! Were you looking specifically for a Canada copy? A year or so ago I found a Canada #5. I already had a nice US copy but was just compelled to buy a Canada copy. One of my favorite EC MAD covers.