• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

I don't have a Haunt 15 (#1). Can anyone confirm that the beckoning ghoul on its cover is, as it plainly appears to be, The Vault Keeper? I know in the innards there is no host, but I'm wondering if any mention is made inside.  

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I don't have a Haunt 15 (#1). Can anyone confirm that the beckoning ghoul on its cover is, as it plainly appears to be, The Vault Keeper? I know in the innards there is no host, but I'm wondering if any mention is made inside.  

It has more of a Old Witch look but It's before she became the host of the HOF.

the haunt of fear1.jpg

I’ve got to disagree with you on that one. Except for the skin tone, that’s exactly The Vault Keeper. No bug eye, no big nose...even has a green hood. Is the current consensus that it is a prototype ghoul, and not official?

Regardless, If that is Officially a Ghoulunatic, then it’s a first cover appearance. If not, then Haunt 17 (3) gets that honor for all three.

Just more of my EC obsessing.

Edited by KirbyJack

9 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I’ve got to disagree with you on that one. Except for the skin tone, that’s exactly The Vault Keeper. No bug eye, no big nose...even has a green hood. Is the current consensus that it is a prototype ghoul, and not official?

Regardless, If that is Officially a Ghoulunatic, then it’s a first cover appearance. If not, then Haunt 17 (3) gets that honor for all three.

Just more of my EC obsessing.

I need to drink more coffee in the morning, issue 15 has a generic witch in the back ground and a Vault Keeper type Host on the cover.  It has been speculated that this might of been the cover for the ill fated Moldoff book Tales of the Supernatural.

6 minutes ago, Hap Hazard said:

I need to drink more coffee in the morning, issue 15 has a generic witch in the back ground and a Vault Keeper type Host on the cover.  It has been speculated that this might of been the cover for the ill fated Moldoff book Tales of the Supernatural.

Yes, I noticed her witchiness, and I was aware of the rumored origin of the cover. 

I still feel a need to get to the bottom of why the Vault Keeper is featured, and why I’ve never heard anyone ever mention it!  :ohnoez:

I’ll let it go.

Eventually.

@KirbyJack

Interesting discussion...I've thought about this a bit myself, and have discussed it with others.

Long story short, I likewise think that it's the Vault-Keeper there on the cover (there is no horror host anywhere on the interior of HoF #15(1)). Here are a few of the key arguments:

1) The Old Witch has asymmetric eyes (i.e., one prominently bulging eye); the Vault-Keeper has symmetric eyes. The creature on the cover of HoF #15(1) has symmetric eyes.
2) The Old Witch ended up wearing a red robe; the Vault-Keeper ended up in the green robe. The creature on the cover of HoF #15(1) is in a green robe. 
3) The cover of the third issue of HoF (i.e., HoF #17(3)) shows all three horror hosts - notice that the Vault-Keeper is wearing a yellow rope belt. The creature on the cover of HoF #15(1) is wearing a yellow rope belt.

CASE CLOSED! :D

By the time HoF #15(1) was issued, the Vault-Keeper was already established as an EC horror host. I think that the cover of HoF #15(1) is the Vault-Keeper (a known host) inviting readers into the new horror title...like "you love my Vault of Horror...come in here and let me show you some FEAR...he, he, he." Then, in the next issue (HoF #16(2)), HoF got its new host, the Old Witch.

2c

41 minutes ago, creaturefan95 said:

What is Tales from the Crypt's standout issue?

Good question. I’m not familiar enough with the entire body of work to have a good answer. I did like The Crypt Keeper’s origin in #33.

18 hours ago, creaturefan95 said:

What is Tales from the Crypt's standout issue?

I'm not really sure it has a stand-out issue, oddly.  The covers tend to be uniformly excellent but none of them are what immediately come to mind when I think of "classic EC horror covers"; most of those are on Vault or Haunt or even Shock Suspenstories.  Similarly, the classic "Foul Play" was in Haunt.

I would probably pick #32 if I had to pick an issue, it's got a reasonably recognizable cover and has "'Taint the Meat... It's the Humanity!", which is possibly the most famous Crypt of Terror story that actually appeared in Tales from the Crypt.  But that's a fairly soft choice. The title in general just has a whole lot of excellent issues, none of which really stand out compared to the rest.