• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

Just for the sake of discussion, here is my list of the Top Ten EC horror-themed comics. I am weighing factors like historical importance, covers, first appearances, current heat, etc., to put them in monetary order. The funny part is, I have no inkling of what these books would actually fetch in the real world. Ergo, informed folks should have a chuckle at my expense.

10. Tales of Terror annual 2

9. Haunt of Fear 16

8. Tales From the Crypt 20

7. Vault of Horror 35

6. War Against Crime 10

5. Crime Suspenstories 22

4. Vault of Horror 12

3. Crime Patrol 15

2. Crypt of Terror 17

1. Tales of Terror annual 1

32 minutes ago, Raze said:

Ill go with @KirbyJack leave them with the book it came with. But use it to read the other 3-D book. Thats what I did.

Also heres my copies... I should have upgraded my #1 when @Robot Man did his sales thread and should have bought his WS book that I did have...:tonofbricks:

Scan 2021-1-30 16.50.21.jpg

I need to upgrade my #1 as well, but not as badly as you do.  I'll admit a big part of why I grabbed the copy when I did was the 2 pairs of glasses.

What's up with your copy, anyway?  It's liked a stripped logo copy, only in reverse...

Three_Dimensional_1.jpg

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

Just for the sake of discussion, here is my list of the Top Ten EC horror-themed comics. I am weighing factors like historical importance, covers, first appearances, current heat, etc., to put them in monetary order. The funny part is, I have no inkling of what these books would actually fetch in the real world. Ergo, informed folks should have a chuckle at my expense.

10. Tales of Terror annual 2

9. Haunt of Fear 16

8. Tales From the Crypt 20

7. Vault of Horror 35

6. War Against Crime 10

5. Crime Suspenstories 22

4. Vault of Horror 12

3. Crime Patrol 15

2. Crypt of Terror 17

1. Tales of Terror annual 1

I agree with #1 TOTA #1...

17 hours ago, OtherEric said:

It would be an easy enough one to join.  Now, semi-serious question:  my copy of #1 had two loose pairs of the glasses (glasses only, no arms).  Do I keep them both with the #1 or move one to go with the #2?

3d Glasses.jpg

I would keep a set with each...

3 hours ago, Raze said:

Ill go with @KirbyJack leave them with the book it came with. But use it to read the other 3-D book. Thats what I did.

Also heres my copies... I should have upgraded my #1 when @Robot Man did his sales thread and should have bought his WS book that I didnt have...:tonofbricks:

Scan 2021-1-30 16.50.21.jpg

Scan 2021-1-30 16.51.13.jpg

They are both still available, jus saying...:baiting:

@Raze

So, my next project is finishing Shock Suspenstories... only 5 issues left for my run.  After that, I'll probably try to get an issue of Vault so I have at least one; it's the only New Trend title I don't have an issue of.  For the purposes of getting at least one issue of each title, I am either saying a) Crypt of Terror/ Tales from the Crypt counts as one title, or b) 3d Tales from the Crypt of Terror counts as close enough.  I also don't consider the annuals as New Trend books as such, although wouldn't mind getting at least one as an example.

After that, it's start the long haul on Weird Science and Weird Fantasy.  But since I'm not planning on trying to put together the Horror or Crime Suspenstories runs, I actually may put together the EC collection I want in the next 4-5 years.

How is everybody else doing on their long term goals for EC?

27 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

So, my next project is finishing Shock Suspenstories... only 5 issues left for my run.  After that, I'll probably try to get an issue of Vault so I have at least one; it's the only New Trend title I don't have an issue of.  For the purposes of getting at least one issue of each title, I am either saying a) Crypt of Terror/ Tales from the Crypt counts as one title, or b) 3d Tales from the Crypt of Terror counts as close enough.  I also don't consider the annuals as New Trend books as such, although wouldn't mind getting at least one as an example.

After that, it's start the long haul on Weird Science and Weird Fantasy.  But since I'm not planning on trying to put together the Horror or Crime Suspenstories runs, I actually may put together the EC collection I want in the next 4-5 years.

I just buy any EC when price/grade and funds are available.

Id like to finish my Frontline Combat some time this year I just need issue 13. So if anyone has an extra copy let me know!

I haven't counted how many EC books I have but Im sure its over 180.

15 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I'm pecking away on a set for the third time. I once had everything except for most of the giveaways and Picto Fiction books but sold off a lot when the HB reprints came out. I kept most of the best ones and better copies. I found I missed them and got about 75% of them again before selling them to buy Nedors, Ace and MLJs. Now I'm back again to redo basically the New Trend ones. I have several runs complete but am missing about 20. Most are doable (but getting expensive). Hard ones will be Crime Patrol #15,16, War Against Crime #11 and Crypt of Terror #18. I will most likely have to settle for lower grade copies. In the meantime, I keep upgrading and picking up a few more of the Pre-Trends that I like. I really hate the thought of actually completing them though. What books would be better to hunt than ECs? I figure I will be real close by the end of this year.

On 1/31/2021 at 1:57 PM, Hap Hazard said:

That's how I was collecting EC's in the late 70's just a few samples, then complete a run or two and then 40 years later I have all the runs completed.

EC complete collection.jpg

A feast for the eyes Hap! I was there once but sold off a bunch of them when the hardback reprints came out. I luckily kept the best ones though. Actually not a bad decision as the money went mostly to Schomburg Nedors before they were “discovered”. So I pretty much traded ECs for Nedors and acquired most of them. 

I missed them and decided to complete the New Trend runs and selected Pre Trend ones. 

Back when we completed our complete runs, there was no internet. A lot harder to do. But MUCH cheaper. Getting pretty close again. Nothing like getting another EC. That thrill never goes away.

I just organized my EC collection today.

My total count is 194! I also found out that I have a few books that were not marked on my spread sheet and I found that I had 7 doubles so I kept the best copy.

I had to buy a magazine box for them and I also had to replace 3 mylites bags and boards and now Im out of them and I need 1 for a cool PCH (Mystic 5) that I haven't read yet.

So today was pretty good!

28 minutes ago, Raze said:

I just organized my EC collection today.

My total count is 194! I also found out that I have a few books that were not marked on my spread sheet and I found that I had 7 doubles so I kept the best copy.

I had to buy a magazine box for them and I also had to replace 3 mylites bags and boards and now Im out of them and I need 1 for a cool PCH (Mystic 5) that I haven't read yet.

So today was pretty good!

What duplicates?  And wow, that's a lot of EC's... I'm somewhere around 160 once you include Pre-Trend books or the first three Mad Magazine issues with the EC logo, but I remain a bit unsure of how strongly those really count so I normally just give the New Trend- New Direction total.

26 minutes ago, EC ed said:

Those definitely count!

In fact, I "count" Mad magazine through issue #30 2c

I can see counting Mad through 26, 28, 30, or 31, depending on what metric you use.  I just keep changing my mind on which is best!

Edited by OtherEric