• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

One of the most undervalued books in collecting. 

DxQi1o.jpg

Not sure I would quite go so far as "most undervalued", but it's definitely a bit of a sleeper.  I think, in general, the New Direction books are overlooked; and this is by a fair margin the most extreme case given how important "Master Race" is.

23 minutes ago, Jayman said:

This recently joined my collection. Always liked how the corpse is winking at the reader, like saying these stories are all in fun. No need for Senate hearings and such. Too bad the adults just didn’t get it!

Tales From The Crypt # 23 CGC 5.5.JPG

Probably my favorite EC cover. Nothing represents PCH better. Was my gateway drug into the darker side of comic books. 

SS#6 classic EC cover original art is in the next big HA Auction. It will be interesting to see if this breaks the previous record for a WW EC cover, I think the prior record was for the WS cover of the EC Library. Correct me if I am wrong, but also look for a price bump of the GA comic book itself, the art on the website looks incredible.

7 hours ago, Raze said:

@OtherEric is this really the first EC Educational Comics? So is Saddle Justice 3 the first EC Entertaining Comics?

Scan 2021-4-4 17.18.23.jpg

It's the first book with Educational Comics as the publisher in the Indicia.  Picture Stories from American History #1 is the first with the EC logo on the cover, I believe.  No clue on Saddle Justice #3 being the first with the Entertaining Comics logo.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:55 AM, bronze johnny said:

This book helps to provide perspective on how some collectors (I’m not counting the speculators, greedy manipulators, and simple thieves who don’t fit my definition as collectors) differ from those who entered this hobby with a greater degree of less knowledge about the history of the medium. What we are seeing primarily today in the other ages are a large number of individuals (not going to refer to them as collectors until they’ve been around a long time and developed a greater understanding and appreciation for this medium), some of whom are spending exorbitant amounts of money on books based on a character’s appearing in a film or television show. Others are just following sales on private auctions where no one sees who’s bidding and in some cases, unaware that the auction house itself is participating in the auction. The lack of transparency in the auction format along with the instant spread of the “did you see how much that book went for last night?” frenzy is driving this unregulated so-called “market.” A book like Impact 1 is defined by its place in EC Comics and the precode era, and, of course, a classic story based on the most horrible and heinous crime ever committed in world history. Speculators haven’t figured out a way to make books like Impact 1 “the next book.” Disney isn’t making a movie based on it. There’s no mention of it getting a television series. Is a book like Impact 1 undervalued or are most of the books we are seeing sell for ridiculous prices relatively overvalued? I’ve always used the Overstreet Price Guide as a reference point along with other sources for the past 35 years because it’s helpful to see why a book didn’t go up for a long period of time. Also helps give insight along with my overall experience as a collector to not take trends at face value and to remember times when “Adventure Comics 247 was the key Silver Age book during the early 1980s and it would never lose its place in the stars.” Finally, I’ve said it before and will say it again:

“A book is undervalued for those who own it and overvalued for the ones that want it...”

I own a copy of Impact 1 and agree with you that it’s undervalued(thumbsu

Ive been wanting a HG copy of that book for awhile and have yet to see one come up for sale 😭