• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, fifties said:

Welcome to the addict den, eh eh.  I wouldn't worry about trying to complete a run to begin with.  As with any publishers titles, certain issues are plentiful, and some are rare to come by.  Your best bet is to go for issues with covers that attract you, across the genres you say that like; crime, sci fi, and horror.  Then zero in on what really appeals to you.

Shock Suspenstories had a potpourri of each, BTW, so a good title to consider.  I think #14 is the best read of the run, and 9 is a close contender;

Shock SS 14.jpg

Shock SS 9.jpg

Those are two of my favorites along with #6 across all the EC titles. Is #9 hard to find in high grade?

1 hour ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

That brings up another question for me. What kind of price increases have EC books seen over the past few years/months?  Have they been steadily rising or have they exploded recently like some of the SA books?

I’ve seen the horror ones probably double to double and a half in the past year. Probably due to the general boom in comic prices. I’m missing 6 of the more common ones. I figure, if I have to pay up for some, OK since I bought the rest way back when they were a lot more affordable. 

Here is a con buy a couple of years ago. I paid no more than $150 tops for any them. Most were a lot less.  I don’t figure getting this lucky again. 

42F09F59-F053-4BE3-8288-B3F0F73A72A5.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I’ve seen the horror ones probably double to double and a half in the past year. Probably due to the general boom in comic prices. I’m missing 6 of the more common ones. I figure, if I have to pay up for some, OK since I bought the rest way back when they were a lot more affordable. 

Here is a con buy a couple of years ago. I paid no more than $150 tops for any them. Most were a lot less.  I don’t figure getting this lucky again. 

42F09F59-F053-4BE3-8288-B3F0F73A72A5.jpeg

Love the Weird Fantasy Covers !

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Probably no harder than any of the rest. But If you are one of those “high grade” guys, ECs are going to break your heart. 

Why do you say that?  I'm not necessarily a high-grade guy, but they are certainly beautiful, and I wouldn't pass up a chance to own one for the right price.

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Probably no harder than any of the rest. But If you are one of those “high grade” guys, ECs are going to break your heart. 

35 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Those are two of my favorites along with #6 across all the EC titles. Is #9 hard to find in high grade?

If you are buying strictly for the covers, you're gonna pay through the nose for damn near any PCH issue in Fine or better.  OTOH if you are buying to read the stories, I would suggest Fa-G to Vg grades.

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Because you asked what it would be in high grade?  (shrug)

I was referring to the comment you made about high grade Ec's "breaking my heart".  Just wondering if that meant it would be broken in a good or bad way?