• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

I actually needed a number of issues, I had 1-14 for quite a while Jamie at Southern Cal Comics had got in a Mad collection including all the Mad comics so I bought the ones I needed to get up to issue 23.  These issues are easy to get so I hadn't been in a rush to pick them up. Was fun to see them all together though.

Yep, I love my bunch too. I also picked up the first magazine issue, just for fun.

EC%20groups%20002_zpsfyrpcce8.jpg

2 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

I have up to issue 30 then all the ones I bought in the 70's.

24-80 or so are all just classic. I have many copies of most of them. I just can't leave them when I see them. Just full of classic Mingo and Freas covers and great content. Just pick up readers. They are usually cheap and all great reads!

22 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

I actually needed a number of issues, I had 1-14 for quite a while Jamie at Southern Cal Comics had got in a Mad collection including all the Mad comics so I bought the ones I needed to get up to issue 23.  These issues are easy to get so I hadn't been in a rush to pick them up. Was fun to see them all together though.

Excellent! Did you get a nice copy of #18? (Did you connect the dots yourself, for the satisfaction of it?) I know you also got your first #24 a year or two ago. Anyway, congrats again!

On 2/14/2017 at 2:57 PM, Chadwick said:

My latest from Jimbo! Kind of a cool concept, they tried mixing a pulp book with comic illustrations. The cover is what really got me though, it has 2 of things I love most on a comic book cover, and a Swamp Monster too ;)

yyDA1mF.jpg

There has been some discussion about the Terror Illustrated 1 cover and this piece of unpublished Jack Davis art. I acquired the art a few years ago from a longtime customer. It is on EC paper and is obviously something from the EC offices but no one seemed to know what. I took it to OAF Con last year and showed it to Roger Hill, the authority on EC art. He surmised that it was a preliminary for a splash from the picto-fiction era. I had thought it might have been a rough for a future unpublished Tales From The Crypt cover. Then someone on the EC chatboard mentioned this Terror Illustrated cover by Reed Crandall. Could it be that Jack Davis did a rough and Crandall did the finished cover based on that idea? We will probably never know, but it is fun to speculate.

large-Davis.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

4 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Rich, that is truly awesome - one of your favorite EC covers (if I recall correctly)?

Thanks Steve. One of those times when the stars align and everything works out.

35 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

There has been some discussion about the Terror Illustrated 1 cover and this piece of unpublished Jack Davis art. I acquired the art a few years ago from a longtime customer. It is on EC paper and is obviously something from the EC offices but no one seemed to know what. I took it to OAF Con last year and showed it to Roger Hill, the authority on EC art. He surmised that it was a preliminary for a splash from the picto-fiction era. I had thought it might have been a rough for a future unpublished Tales From The Crypt cover. Then someone on the EC chatboard mentioned this Terror Illustrated cover by Reed Crandall. Could it be that Jack Davis did a rough and Crandall did the finished cover based on that idea? We will probably never know, but it is fun to speculate.

large-Davis.jpg

That's really cool! 

17 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

large-Davis.jpg

Wow, that is a great story, thanks for sharing! 

Love your OA in the thread :cloud9:  Congrats on the HoF cover :golfclap: