• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

Here is an Argentine published EC with classic Jack Davis cover.     Early 1960s.  Art is redrawn and concludes with new mascot narrator   

this book is stunning condition for what i usually find overseas    

Enjoy 

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

18 minutes ago, Foxtrot70 said:

Here is an Argentine published EC with classic Jack Davis cover.     Early 1960s.  Art is redrawn and concludes with new mascot narrator   

this book is stunning condition for what i usually find overseas    

Enjoy 

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

Love this. Probably very few if any of these still out there.

On 2/22/2017 at 11:47 PM, mrmitchgro said:

I had some rare spare time tonight and managed to get a shot of where the TFTC collection stands at the moment. Any leads on the missing books would be appreciated! 

DSC01267_zpsbzybv7ev.jpg

Incredible Mitch, I take responsibility for the Tales 46, lol

Yeah, those are killer. I only have a few Gaines file copies (most raw), but they all have their COAs. It's a shame so many of them were lost or discarded when CGC graded them early on. I have hesitated to send in COAs with books to be graded for that reason. Would they take photocopies I wonder?

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, those are killer. I only have a few Gaines file copies (most raw), but they all have their COAs. It's a shame so many of them were lost or discarded when CGC graded them early on. I have hesitated to send in COAs with books to be graded for that reason. Would they take photocopies I wonder?

Yes, they do.  I called and asked that very question myself.  I didn't want to risk losing the COA to my Gaines Weird Science 14!

ws14_6of12c_zpsyxecicqv.jpg

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I think they state somewhere that they don't return any paperwork/documents you send in with a book.  I send photocopies, which they seem fine with.

I'm not heavy into the EC silverprint color guides, but when I saw this one (from "Whupped!" in Frontline Combat #14) in a recent Heritage auction, I decided that it must be mine. It's a sobering reminder of some ugly history.

Jack Davis (my favorite EC artist and fellow Georgian) not only handled the art, but also wrote the --script (pretty unusual for Jack to write a --script - perhaps when Gaines/Kurtzman decided to do another Civil War story, they thought "hey, why don't we have Jack write it...he's from the South" :D ). Marie Severin's watercolors just pop :cloud9:

fc14_whupped_p1.jpg

fc14_whupped_p2.jpg

fc14_whupped_p3.jpg

fc14_whupped_p4.jpg

fc14_whupped_p5.jpg

fc14_whupped_p6.jpg

fc14_whupped_p7.jpg

Edited by edowens71

Beautiful score Ed. Thanks for posting it all. Great to read it again. So very sad and tragic...

By the way, what ever you do, keep it in the dark as much as possible. Those silverprints fade real bad, real fast. I've been tempted by some of the Johnny Craig ones that Roger Hill has been selling. But, I would want to frame them for the walls and I can't because I know how bad they fade.

56 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

By the way, what ever you do, keep it in the dark as much as possible.

(thumbsu

I know what you mean - I would love to frame this...but, alas, I'll play conservationist instead...

4 hours ago, edowens71 said:

(thumbsu

I know what you mean - I would love to frame this...but, alas, I'll play conservationist instead...

Great stuff, Ed.  I always connected Jack Davis with the Mads, TV Guide covers, and comic ads I saw when I was a kid.  His EC work came as a revelation to me.

22 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Something tells me this one isn't going to get the pulses of you E.C. addicts racing, but I like it -- so there!

On at least a couple occasions I nearly picked up this book (and yet may, when I find the right copy).  It has a Walt Kelly kind of charm and whimsy about it.