• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

You can contact CGC and ask about it.  If it's a mistake, they'll reslab it with the corrected label for free. 

Be interesting to hear what you find out. 

If it isn't a grading mistake, then it's a policy mistake, because the GFC status on a label can double or even triple the value of a high grade EC.  IMO, the reason for the perceived value discrepancy is that ECs are already HG top heavy due to the GFC numbers.  Anything HG not affirmed by third party grading on the label as being from the Gaines' vault will likely realize only a portion of it's estimated value when sold.  

While the signed COA is important, many were lost by owners ...or disposed of... by CGC graders in the early days even though the file copy status was recorded on the label back then. Getting a GFC labeled book reslabbed without the information being included on the new label means the owner automatically takes a loss of value.

The problem with having the COA set aside from the slabbed book is that there is no grader's guarantee that it ever went with the book.  Of course the owner's word is valid (absolutely) and the COA can be included when a book is auctioned, but in competitive bidding it leaves too much room for speculation.  If you go back through auction results for high grade EC's I'm sure you'll see a substantial premium reflected in realized sales for GFC labeled books over similarly slabbed (non-GFC) HG copies.

Sorry 'bout the length of this, but I wanted to be absolutely clear on why this matters or should matter to folks, ...and I've had a lot of caffeine today. lol

Edited by Cat-Man_America

12 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

That wasn't just a one-time mistake?  It's policy, now, not to mention the GFC pedigree status on the label???

It's a mistake. I've encountered mistakes where CGC inadvertently left the pedigree status off the label. Contact CGC and they will fix it like they've done for me. CGC is excellent about this and their customer service is fantastic. 

32 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

If it isn't a grading mistake, then it's a policy mistake, because the GFC status on a label can double or even triple the value of a high grade EC.  IMO, the reason for the perceived value discrepancy is that ECs are already HG top heavy due to the GFC numbers.  Anything HG not affirmed by third party grading on the label as being from the Gaines' vault will likely realize only a portion of it's estimated value when sold.  

While the signed COA is important, many were lost by owners ...or disposed of... by CGC graders in the early days even though the file copy status was recorded on the label back then. Getting a GFC labeled book reslabbed without the information being included on the new label means the owner automatically takes a loss of value.

The problem with having the COA set aside from the slabbed book is that there is no grader's guarantee that it ever went with the book.  Of course the owner's word is valid (absolutely) and the COA can be included when a book is auctioned, but in competitive bidding it leaves too much room for speculation.  If you go back through auction results for high grade EC's I'm sure you'll see a substantial premium reflected in realized sales for GFC labeled books over similarly slabbed (non-GFC) HG copies.

Sorry 'bout the length of this, but I wanted to be absolutely clear on why this matters or should matter to folks, ...and I've had a lot of caffeine today. lol

Very informative.  Keep drinking the coffee. 

This is my only pedigree comic. It may hold the distinction of being the least desirable Gaines copy in the world, but I love it! :bigsmile:

E49EC044-7C1A-4F4F-B805-A3894CE17E3F.thumb.jpeg.5dbf5a176fb5742b9ded901d6e455b55.jpeg

Now, I have heard that Bill Gaines’ collection did not include pre-trends when the vault was opened. If that’s true ( is it true?), what do I have here?

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

This is my only pedigree comic. It may hold the distinction of being the least desirable Gaines copy in the world, but I love it! :bigsmile:

E49EC044-7C1A-4F4F-B805-A3894CE17E3F.thumb.jpeg.5dbf5a176fb5742b9ded901d6e455b55.jpeg

Now, I have heard that Bill Gaines’ collection did not include pre-trends when the vault was opened. If that’s true ( is it true?), what do I have here?

It appears that you have absconded with @MustEatBrains's GFC label notation! :taptaptap:

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

The GFC master list does include many of the pre-trend titles, which leaves us to deduce that Max Gaines must've started the whole practice of saving multiple back issues of EC books.  Bill didn't take over the business until sometime after 1947, when his dad was killed in a boating accident.  But there are many Gaines File copies of the "Picture Stories from...(etc.)" series, which go back to as early as '42 or '43, I believe.   

So, there are Bill Gaines file copies, and Max Gaines file copies!  You evidently have one of the latter.

They were always advertising the Bible comics in the New Trend titles, so they probably had a ton of them in their warehouse.

Hello Boils and Ghouls!

Im back for more show and tell. I considered myself an E.C. fan I have 140 titles (all super low grade of course!) theres nothing better than blowing the dust off these wrinkled rags from yesteryear! So Im at a local mortuary doh! comic show and was getting ready to leave when i realized I didnt check one of the dealers crypts...ummm Boxes.

While looking though I found a few E.C. books for less than an arm and a leg! But I spent all my souls...dollars on a lot of other bodies....books. so I couldn't get all of them. But i did get a unexpected un-hoily grail Saddle Justice 3 the FIRST E.C. title! And all I had to pay for it was my left pinky (which was failing off anyway...sucker)!

Plus he threw in the last Psychoanalysis (I mean look at that amazing suntan it has! It will NEVER see the light of day again hahahahahaha) I need for the run for only my big toe nail!

Till next time...

Scan 2018-6-3 16.12.03.jpg

Scan 2018-6-3 23.30.05.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, bronze johnny said:

It's a mistake. I've encountered mistakes where CGC inadvertently left the pedigree status off the label. Contact CGC and they will fix it like they've done for me. CGC is excellent about this and their customer service is fantastic. 

Yes agreed, it's obviously an easily recognizable simple mistake - CGC recently neglected to label 3 Larsons I sent in but they're promptly taking care of the error and they reimbursed me for postage too.

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Gaines file copies are incredible and frankly have ruined the market for non-pedigreed copies. 

I don't understand this statement. What do you mean?

Congrats on the SSS #6 - nice one!

On June 3, 2018 at 9:33 PM, Raze said:

Hello Boils and Ghouls!

Im back for more show and tell. I considered myself an E.C. fan I have 140 titles (all super low grade of course!) theres nothing better than blowing the dust off these wrinkled rags from yesteryear! So Im at a local mortuary doh! comic show and was getting ready to leave when i realized I didnt check one of the dealers crypts...ummm Boxes.

While looking though I found a few E.C. books for less than an arm and a leg! But I spent all my souls...dollars on a lot of other bodies....books. so I couldn't get all of them. But i did get a unexpected un-hoily grail Saddle Justice 3 the FIRST E.C. title! And all I had to pay for it was my left pinky (which was failing off anyway...sucker)!

Plus he threw in the last Psychoanalysis (I mean look at that amazing suntan it has! It will NEVER see the light of day again hahahahahaha) I need for the run for only my big toe nail!

Till next time...

Scan 2018-6-3 16.12.03.jpg

Scan 2018-6-3 23.30.05.jpg

Nice grab on the Saddle Justice Raze. That one is a bit of a toughie.

6 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Just that the condition, paper quality and cost of almost all non Gaines Pedigree copies pales in comparison.  Imagine the impact on the SA market if Stan had put 10 of every known Marvel away and kept them pristine?  

For your analogy to be completely accurate, you'd also need to take the number of other HG SA Marvels, and reduce it to a handful, relative to those "Stan Lee File copies".  Then examine the effect on the market for the non pedigree HG copies.  

Edited by 29dukedog

On 6/5/2018 at 5:30 PM, 29dukedog said:

For your analogy to be completely accurate, you'd also need to take the number of other HG SA Marvels, and reduce it to a handful, relative to those "Stan Lee File copies".  Then examine the effect on the market for the non pedigree HG copies.  

I agree with the fact that a GFC kind of reduces the appeal of an otherwise very cherry EC slightly, just because the GFC's are so perfect, the grades of other very nice books can't help but suffer in comparison. In the case of a non-GFC that was truly every bit as nice as a given GFC, it becomes slightly less special if there are 10-ish GFC's like it out there. Good thing I love my EC's no matter what! :)