E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
16 16

2,165 posts in this topic

3,358 posts
47 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I’d add Crypt of Terror 17 and omit either  Vault 35 or Crime 20.

Agreed on the need for Crypt 17! :) If strictly discussing value, Haunt 15(1) is also worthy of notice.

2,163 posts

I had COT 17 at 11, so definitely considered that one.

This brings up an interesting trend where the value of the “traditionally” desirable ECs (COT 17, HOF 1, CP 15, VOH 12, etc) have increased as the overall PCH market has, but it seems like the “new trend” (see what I did there?) is for really dramatic increases on the books with desirable cover art (CSS 22, VOH 30, CSS 20, SSS 6). There haven’t been a whole lot of high grade copies of those that have sold lately, but I think we’d be surprised at some of the prices they’d bring (like Shock 6!).

578 posts
1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

Not sure where it should sit on the list but I'd think Haunt of Fear #15 (#1) has to be on it.

36631.jpg.42a670029b3443846a10d662be956f0b.jpg

What a cover!   :acclaim:

6,305 posts
1 hour ago, mrmitchgro said:

I had COT 17 at 11, so definitely considered that one.

This brings up an interesting trend where the value of the “traditionally” desirable ECs (COT 17, HOF 1, CP 15, VOH 12, etc) have increased as the overall PCH market has, but it seems like the “new trend” (see what I did there?) is for really dramatic increases on the books with desirable cover art (CSS 22, VOH 30, CSS 20, SSS 6). There haven’t been a whole lot of high grade copies of those that have sold lately, but I think we’d be surprised at some of the prices they’d bring (like Shock 6!).

I’m sure this is way more accurate than I want it to be.

I still like historically significant books more than covers, but there’s no arguing that covers rule currently.

8,454 posts

That's a beauty! :applause: 

I'm glad you kept the COA. Alas, it's sad that CGC no longer includes the Gaines File Copy status on their labels.   

2,679 posts
23 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm glad you kept the COA. Alas, it's sad that CGC no longer includes the Gaines File Copy status on their labels.   

That wasn't just a one-time mistake?  It's policy, now, not to mention the GFC pedigree status on the label???

2,163 posts
5 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

That wasn't just a one-time mistake?  It's policy, now, not to mention the GFC pedigree status on the label???

It’s still included on CGC’s list of pedigrees on their site (shrug)

14,208 posts
7 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I didn't know that. When did that start and why?

21,463 posts
7 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I'm voting for it being a mistake.  I can't think of any reason why they would de-pedigree GFCs.

2,769 posts

I don't know the back story on this particular book but checking with the boardie I purchased from for additional info if he has.

21,463 posts
1 hour ago, MustEatBrains said:

I don't know the back story on this particular book but checking with the boardie I purchased from for additional info if he has.

You can contact CGC and ask about it.  If it's a mistake, they'll reslab it with the corrected label for free. 

Be interesting to hear what you find out. 

8,454 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

You can contact CGC and ask about it.  If it's a mistake, they'll reslab it with the corrected label for free. 

Be interesting to hear what you find out. 

If it isn't a grading mistake, then it's a policy mistake, because the GFC status on a label can double or even triple the value of a high grade EC.  IMO, the reason for the perceived value discrepancy is that ECs are already HG top heavy due to the GFC numbers.  Anything HG not affirmed by third party grading on the label as being from the Gaines' vault will likely realize only a portion of it's estimated value when sold.  

While the signed COA is important, many were lost by owners ...or disposed of... by CGC graders in the early days even though the file copy status was recorded on the label back then. Getting a GFC labeled book reslabbed without the information being included on the new label means the owner automatically takes a loss of value.

The problem with having the COA set aside from the slabbed book is that there is no grader's guarantee that it ever went with the book.  Of course the owner's word is valid (absolutely) and the COA can be included when a book is auctioned, but in competitive bidding it leaves too much room for speculation.  If you go back through auction results for high grade EC's I'm sure you'll see a substantial premium reflected in realized sales for GFC labeled books over similarly slabbed (non-GFC) HG copies.

Sorry 'bout the length of this, but I wanted to be absolutely clear on why this matters or should matter to folks, ...and I've had a lot of caffeine today. lol

Edited by Cat-Man_America

3,166 posts
12 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

It's a mistake. I've encountered mistakes where CGC inadvertently left the pedigree status off the label. Contact CGC and they will fix it like they've done for me. CGC is excellent about this and their customer service is fantastic. 

2,769 posts
32 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

If it isn't a grading mistake, then it's a policy mistake, because the GFC status on a label can double or even triple the value of a high grade EC.  IMO, the reason for the perceived value discrepancy is that ECs are already HG top heavy due to the GFC numbers.  Anything HG not affirmed by third party grading on the label as being from the Gaines' vault will likely realize only a portion of it's estimated value when sold.  

While the signed COA is important, many were lost by owners ...or disposed of... by CGC graders in the early days even though the file copy status was recorded on the label back then. Getting a GFC labeled book reslabbed without the information being included on the new label means the owner automatically takes a loss of value.

The problem with having the COA set aside from the slabbed book is that there is no grader's guarantee that it ever went with the book.  Of course the owner's word is valid (absolutely) and the COA can be included when a book is auctioned, but in competitive bidding it leaves too much room for speculation.  If you go back through auction results for high grade EC's I'm sure you'll see a substantial premium reflected in realized sales for GFC labeled books over similarly slabbed (non-GFC) HG copies.

Sorry 'bout the length of this, but I wanted to be absolutely clear on why this matters or should matter to folks, ...and I've had a lot of caffeine today. lol

Very informative.  Keep drinking the coffee. 

6,305 posts

This is my only pedigree comic. It may hold the distinction of being the least desirable Gaines copy in the world, but I love it! :bigsmile:

E49EC044-7C1A-4F4F-B805-A3894CE17E3F.thumb.jpeg.5dbf5a176fb5742b9ded901d6e455b55.jpeg

Now, I have heard that Bill Gaines’ collection did not include pre-trends when the vault was opened. If that’s true ( is it true?), what do I have here?

2,679 posts
5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

This is my only pedigree comic. It may hold the distinction of being the least desirable Gaines copy in the world, but I love it! :bigsmile:

E49EC044-7C1A-4F4F-B805-A3894CE17E3F.thumb.jpeg.5dbf5a176fb5742b9ded901d6e455b55.jpeg

Now, I have heard that Bill Gaines’ collection did not include pre-trends when the vault was opened. If that’s true ( is it true?), what do I have here?

The GFC master list does include many of the pre-trend titles, which leaves us to deduce that Max Gaines must've started the whole practice of saving multiple back issues of EC books.  Bill didn't take over the business until sometime after 1947, when his dad was killed in a boating accident.  But there are many Gaines File copies of the "Picture Stories from...(etc.)" series, which go back to as early as '42 or '43, I believe.   

So, there are Bill Gaines file copies, and Max Gaines file copies!  You evidently have one of the latter.