• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2018 at 8:27 PM, Robot Man said:

Is this a contest anyone can play? Here’s probably my worst condition EC. At least it is complete with white pages. I just couldn’t leave it at the flea market for two bucks.  (shrug)

3587ACF2-6DC3-4C8A-9876-2C0D3A8AFD66.jpeg

So, the seller washed it to whiten the pages? :insane:

Any of you gents win the Land of the Lost 1 9.8 White?  I thought it was kind of a bargain at less than $2K.  Beautiful book -- looks like an unrecognized ped copy.  https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/land-of-the-lost-comics-1-ec-1946-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7189-93095.s?type=bidnotice-dailystatus

56 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Any of you gents win the Land of the Lost 1 9.8 White?  I thought it was kind of a bargain at less than $2K.  Beautiful book -- looks like an unrecognized ped copy.  https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/land-of-the-lost-comics-1-ec-1946-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7189-93095.s?type=bidnotice-dailystatus

I've told the story before, but some years ago what was thought to be the Church run of Land of the Lost was discovered in a box that Dave Kapelka had at SDCC. Harley snatched up all the books after letting me purchase one issue.

IIRC, the LoL 1 was in perfect condition - I don't know if it is this book or not.

13 hours ago, sacentaur said:
14 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I've told the story before, but some years ago what was thought to be the Church run of Land of the Lost was discovered in a box that Dave Kapelka had at SDCC. Harley snatched up all the books after letting me purchase one issue.

IIRC, the LoL 1 was in perfect condition - I don't know if it is this book or not.

Steve, would a Church book from that period (1946) be likely to have coding?

It appears from the census that there is also a 9.6 and two 9.4s.  One of the 9.4s is recorded on GPA (three times!) and is not the Church copy.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

No idea, not a time period that I'm familiar with.

The run I mention above from SDCC was not coded.

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:
9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

No idea, not a time period that I'm familiar with.

The run I mention above from SDCC was not coded.

Without coding, pedigree attributions can be shaky.  I think it works in both directions:  Some of the recent mid-grade Church books auctioned by Heritage may not actually be Church copies, and some books like this one that may be Church copies may never have that attribution recognized.

I really love the "border" cover issues. Other than #27 the classic Jack Davis New Years cover and the Neuman cover, the others are a little more tame and maybe a little more "adult" than the issues that followed. Was MAD and Kurtzman aiming for a bit older audience? 

59 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I really love the "border" cover issues. Other than #27 the classic Jack Davis New Years cover and the Neuman cover, the others are a little more tame and maybe a little more "adult" than the issues that followed. Was MAD and Kurtzman aiming for a bit older audience? 

I’ll try and scan the relevant page when I get home, but if I recall correctly when they announce the format change along the lines of “for three years we’ve been corrupting the minds of America’s youth.  Now we get to work on the adults.”

If you look at Trump, Humbug, and Help you see that targeting of a slightly older audience.  

And today's addition to the collection.  Easily the most common of the "low distribution" EC's, by a mile.

Just in general, I think Panic is a horribly underrated book.  It gets punished for not being Mad; and that's not an entirely unfair position.  But just try and tell me a book with Davis, Orlando, Elder, and Wood as the regular artists isn't excellent as a minimum.  Even EC claimed it was the best of the Mad rip-off books in house ads, and it really was.

Panic_12.jpg