• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Choosing just one Wood to save would be too tough a call for me... but it'd probably be either WS 16, or WS 14:   

ws14_6of12b.jpg

I would definitely vote for 14.  I love Wood, but I think his figures could sometimes look a little stiff.  Almost as if they were drawn separately and then dropped into the background.  I kind of think that's the case here.  I never get that feeling with, say, Kirby -- although you could certainly argue that Wood was the better artist overall.  

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I would definitely vote for 14.  I love Wood, but I think his figures could sometimes look a little stiff.  Almost as if they were drawn separately and then dropped into the background.  I kind of think that's the case here.  I never get that feeling with, say, Kirby -- although you could certainly argue that Wood was the better artist overall.  

I do get that feeling with some of his work, too... a really good example is the woman on WS 22... (not my copy): 

ws22.jpg

36 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I also find a lot of his figures a bit stiff (almost out of place), yet he is still one, if not my favorite artist. Great books everyone!

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Another claustrophobic choice...

WeirdScience19.jpg

Weird Science 9 and Incredible Science-Fiction 33 have recently been posted, and WS 19 makes three out of three EC covers in which Wood makes use of the "spaceship interior with large circular window" motif.  Frazetta's Famous Funnies 213 is allegedly an homage to Wood's design.  

FamFun213_pb.jpg