• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

Mark may see this and ask for his book back. :) I imagine this wasn't at the Flea Market too recently for $25? Nice one RM!

About 3 years ago, and according to the seller, sadly Mark cannot read it anymore where he is. So, thanks Mark! I will take good care of it for you...

3 minutes ago, october said:

That is awesome. 

You know, I got to thinking about how many sigs I've found just by opening the cover. In addition to the two above, I've found undisclosed LB Cole and Wrightson sigs. There are probably more I can't remember. It's a cool bonus!

Yeah, its great when they are "old school" and inside in ball point pen. I found a surprise Jack Kirby recently inside an old Star Spangled comic. Alway fun!

Just now, Robot Man said:

Yeah, its great when they are "old school" and inside in ball point pen. I found a surprise Jack Kirby recently inside an old Star Spangled comic. Alway fun!

The only Kirby sig I ever had was on the splash of my coverless Cap 1...which I had for only a short time. It was a beautiful sig though!

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

About 3 years ago, and according to the seller, sadly Mark cannot read it anymore where he is. So, thanks Mark! I will take good care of it for you...

I always think about "where they are now" when I see full names in books. I have several Batman's that "Stella" may want back someday. Enjoy RM!

3 hours ago, originalisbest said:

Love them all! Don't have a #13(2) Vault -- will have to fix that one day!

I only recently got it from Terry O at Wondercon. Decent copy at a great price. Hope to upgrade someday but this will do for now. 

These masoleum/crypt covers have always creeped me out. The thought of something like this just sends shivers down my spine.

Anybody ever see anything signed by Graham Ingels? He is about the only EC artist/writer that I don't have an autographed piece from. I know after he left EC he was ashamed of his work there and never discussed it again. He felt so strongly, he apparently didn't even want any money from the later sale of his art. About the only autograph I could imagine would be when he actually worked for EC. 

51 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Anybody ever see anything signed by Graham Ingels? He is about the only EC artist/writer that I don't have an autographed piece from. I know after he left EC he was ashamed of his work there and never discussed it again. He felt so strongly, he apparently didn't even want any money from the later sale of his art. About the only autograph I could imagine would be when he actually worked for EC. 

Never heard this. Could you expound on the reason he was ashamed? Was it the subject matter (horror)? Such beautiful linework and artistry should never be ashamed of!

Edited by Jayman

13 minutes ago, EC ed said:

I've never seen an Ingels autograph in person, but I've seen a pic of something...see below. These sigs are on the back of a Jon Severin "Thank You for Your Note" flyer. Apparently, there are a small number of these floating around out there. The EC sleuths have the opinion that these items predate 1953, and were probably created by Bill Gaines...when artists would come into the EC offices to drop off their work, Bill would have them sign these things, and Bill would keep them around to hand out to special fans who dropped by looking for autographs, etc. I'm sure I'm missing part of the story, but that's the basic idea. You'll see Ingels there just below Jack Davis:

GrahamIngelsSig.jpg

Wow, what an amazing little piece of paper!  I sure would have loved to be one of those "special" fans. I think Grant Geissman showed me one of those in his collection once. I think I have all of them except Ingels. I also have Gaines, Marie Severin, George Evans, Angelo Torress and a few others. I also don't have Bernard Krigstein either. 

30 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Never heard this. Could you expound on the reason he was ashamed? Was it the subject matter (horror)? Such beautiful linework and artistry should never be ashamed of!

He had a lot of issues related to his alcoholism. Playing psychoanalyst, but I think he was looking to leave in the past anything to do with that time in his life, not just the art he created. For the longest time, those close to him had no idea where he had gone to, and some parties thought he might have simply passed away.

welcome kiddies to my Horror show of LOW grade EC titles! heh heh! you probably think i dig these up from a crypt or vault, but i mostly get them from the dead still holding them in their coffins scared of fright...such light weights! 

Here we have Vault of horror 22, -6.0 (horribly fine). I think the high grade issues i see here are gorgeous but mine are gore-jus hahahahahahahaha!

it really adds to the creepy stories...how did that rip on the top of the book get there? was the reader killed while "losing his mind" at seeing frankenstein? i don't know...

ill see you next time with more LOW grade fun!

and thanks to @EC ed for all he shares! what a "vault" of knowledge!  (and helped me get a few titles) (thumbsu

Scan 2018-4-27 23.37.42.jpg

On 4/27/2018 at 11:51 AM, Robot Man said:

A great one for sure. But, once I saw the "un-censored" one, it was hard to like this one as much.

Pretty graphic, but the color scheme doesn't work as well. on the Gemstone reprint that uses it.

image.png.6b2d1c22d68276a8ecbbf8cd675205d1.png