• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

Today's book.  Since this has the first appearance of the last original EC story (other than Mad), I think this one qualifies as a real EC in a way none of the other reprints do.  And, of course, a ton of great reprints in giant size.  Crazy happy to have found a nice copy of this fairly cheap. 

EC library.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Grazt on finally getting a copy.  Any particular reason you wanted this one? 

It's near the pinnacle of the violent/horror arms race I think, right before the code came down.  This was used in the Senate hearings, although If I remember correctly on a display board, not the issue actually held up by the senator for gains to explain.  

The cover is shocking.  I can imagine peoples surprise and outrage when this type of book was being sold largely to kids.   I love the black cover, and the art is pretty eye catching.  And I cant afford a decent copy of suspentales 22 ;)

31 minutes ago, waaaghboss said:

It's near the pinnacle of the violent/horror arms race I think, right before the code came down.  This was used in the Senate hearings, although If I remember correctly on a display board, not the issue actually held up by the senator for gains to explain.  

The cover is shocking.  I can imagine peoples surprise and outrage when this type of book was being sold largely to kids.   I love the black cover, and the art is pretty eye catching.  And I cant afford a decent copy of suspentales 22 ;)

Good reasons all; all the more reasons for me to be happy I got a copy a few years ago.  One of only two CSS issues I have; it's not one of the titles I'm really trying for other than wanting at least one issue of each New Trend book.

Weren't 22 and 23 equal in the guide for years and years?

Crime_Suspenstories_23.jpg

18 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Good reasons all; all the more reasons for me to be happy I got a copy a few years ago.  One of only two CSS issues I have; it's not one of the titles I'm really trying for other than wanting at least one issue of each New Trend book.

They were!  I was actually in a comic shop this morning, and they had a 91 oversheet.  Believe both were around 100 mint, and mich cheaper than earlier issues in the run.  They did notate 22 had an ax.

It also listed ASM 298 as the first venom, and 300 as lady black costume.   Both were 35.

47 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Oh, don't lie to us Eric. You want them ALL just like we all do. Once your have tasted the Kool Aid...:devil:

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  Since this has the first appearance of the last original EC story (other than Mad), I think this one qualifies as a real EC in a way none of the other reprints do.  And, of course, a ton of great reprints in giant size.  Crazy happy to have found a nice copy of this fairly cheap. 

EC library.jpg

Outstanding find! I bought that when it came out new. I had a few ECs my uncle gave me and had run into a few more in my travels so I knew what I was getting into.  What really grabbed me was the cover! Wow, so creepy and weird. I had no idea it was a TFTC cover but once I found out I was on the hunt until I found one. One of my favorite EC covers!

16 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Not in the greatest shape, but I've wanted this one for a while :)

123.jpg

NEVER apologize for the condition of a great book like that! One of MANY classic Crime Suspense covers. Everybody loves #22 (and I do to) but I think this is my favorite. Just gets right down to business. Everything about is so shocking. I can't imagine seeing this on a newstand next to Superman, Little Lulu or Capt. Marvel. My mom was pretty cool but she would (or tell my dad to) tan my hide if she caught me with this.

comcrimesuspense20.jpg

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Oh, don't lie to us Eric. You want them ALL just like we all do. Once your have tasted the Kool Aid...:devil:

Of course I do.  But I personally want the horror & crime books less than I want the humor and science fiction and war books, so unless I come across them cheap I'm prioritizing the others.

You did catch me misusing the word "want", I'll give you that. :nyah:

On 3/11/2019 at 8:37 AM, Robot Man said:

I suppose that now there will be a run on Panic 6. :roflmao:

I’ve got several copies put aside just for this reason. Now I just have to figure who to have do them. Stout is a great choice. I would also like one done by Tom Bunk but probably couldn’t afford his asking price...

Finally catching up to this thread. Tom Bunk would be a great choice for a modern-day Panic cover.  His asking price is not that bad.

http://members.tripod.com/garbage_pail_kids/BunkArtANS.htm

bunkZit.thumb.jpg.f72675666c005beb95b3c8c761c45beb.jpg

Edited by GomerPyleUSMC
* originally appeared in MAD #345

2 hours ago, GomerPyleUSMC said:

I'm still gobsmacked Feldstein did a Alfred E. Neuman sketch on Jerry Weist's Panic....and it was placed on eBay and I missed it!   Can anyone here post a detailed scan of this beauty?  I pulled this low-res image from eBay's archive site.

panic-cgc-5-vg-alfred-neuman-cover_1_4ccb8a1f67235f75d628841388510d27.jpg.417f5d633f4cd38b66fc135a2d4db913.jpg

Yeah, a classic! I remember seeing that but by that time Al was gone as were most of the original EC artists. It was what inspired me to get this one done.

companic6.jpg