• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

Three in the mail today.  The Incredible SF has "Food For Thought", which is of course famous for its incredible splash page artwork.  The rest of the story is beautiful as well, even if they had to add a page to the end to appease the CCA.  Even when the ship was clearly sinking the EC crew could turn out the occasional masterpiece.  This is another of my "the spine is split but the book is super cheap" EC's...

Incredible_SF_32.jpg

And Two Two-Fisted Tales today.  Or should that be one Four-Fisted Tales?

The 37 gives me the entire 36-41 run of the "new" TFT.  They're not as good or interesting as the Kurtzman issues to me, but they're still some great comics.

The 25 is, of course, one of the true classic EC issues, with the absolutely brutal Kurtzman cover and the classic "Corpse on the Imjin" story.

Two_Fisted_Tales_37.jpg

Two_Fisted_Tales_25.jpg

And got the Aces High 2 and 5 in today, giving me the whole run.  Only need a couple books to complete my New Direction set now.

I think Aces High is generally (along with Piracy) regarded as one of the best New Direction titles, goodness knows it's in my top two by a fair margin.

Here's the set, in my traditional competition with @Raze to put together the lowest grade reading run of EC's . (:

Aces_High_1.jpg

Aces_High_2.jpg

Aces_High_3.jpg

Aces_High_4.jpg

Aces_High_5.jpg

I don't have a lot of time but will post on occasion. The Crandall and the Frazetta-Williamson sigs came from other collectors but the rest I obtained in person.

@KirbyJack Feldstein did sign with his art deco block signature. I have a few he signed like this when he was in the mood.

@Robot Man The Frazetta-Williamson signed CSS 17 came from serial entrepreneur, Bruce Hamilton. He had an idea in the 1970's that was kind of a precursor to today's signature series (why not, he is the spiritual father of CGC...). To wit, obtain high-grade copies of EC comics, have their artists sign them---this was during the period when ECs were at peak interest--and sell them for a premium at conventions. 

The first issue to pilot out this program was CSS 17. He bought 25 copies and sent them over to Frazetta and Williamson to sign. Frazetta signed six...got bored...and quit ! Bruce was livid and had to offload the unsigned copies for a loss, lol. Today the signed copies show up for sale on eBay or somewhere from time to time (e.g., one was advertised for sale at Stuart Ng books I think). Now you know how the signed CSS 17 came about.

Edited by GomerPyleUSMC