• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,322 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2019 at 1:20 AM, OtherEric said:

An odd question: a listing online claims this is the first EC horror cover.  I was wondering if this was generally agreed, or if it was just a certain dealer trying to double their already high price tag on the book.

Further research reveals that this is the Sept.-Oct. issue. I suspect a Halloween theme rather than horror.

30 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Further research reveals that this is the Sept.-Oct. issue. I suspect a Halloween theme rather than horror.

I think it's quite possible that a Halloween cover could also be a Horror cover.  I think trying to identify the first EC horror cover is actually an interesting discussion, and a Land of the Lost cover is as likely a candidate as any.  I do not require that the creators of the book actually consciously thought "This is horror" to count a cover as horror.

I also think that, if we do pick a Land of the Lost cover as the first EC horror cover, 6 or (less certainly) 5 are probably better candidates for the honor.  Scans from GCD, if anybody has better ones I would love to see them:

Lotl5.jpg

Lotl6.jpg

As I said in a previous post, I have a candidate for EC’s first Horror comic. This is not generally recognized as such by collectors.
The history goes like this; Sheldon Moldoff pitches Bill Gaines an idea to do a horror comic under the working title of “Tales of the Supernatural”. Gaines OKs it, Moldoff produces four stories, and brings them in. Legal stuff gets in the way, and that comic doesn’t happen. Gaines does own the stories, so he publishes them in existing titles. The first story published is “Vampire of the Bayou”, in Moon Girl #4. Here’s the worst copy in the world!

4AEBA366-DCA6-44C7-876A-28E7DC5DB0C0.thumb.jpeg.af68d306b88e2fae02c24cc4010322d7.jpeg

Edited by KirbyJack

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Overstreet cites EC’s first horror story as “Zombie Terror” from Moon Girl 5. This is probably because Moon Girl doesn’t appear in that story. But they were all intended to be horror comics, so I think Moon Girl 4 edges it out. What say you?

I have to agree with you, that's clearly a horror story.  It reminds me somewhat of the Hero/ Horror hybrid stories in VENUS, actually.

Now I'm wondering what the first EC SF story and cover are...

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I have to agree with you, that's clearly a horror story.  It reminds me somewhat of the Hero/ Horror hybrid stories in VENUS, actually.

Now I'm wondering what the first EC SF story and cover are...

I guess this could be argued either way, but I would go with Overstreet's determination.  A story is either horror or superhero; you can't really have the latter in a true horror story, which by it's nature puts ordinary people in danger, while superhero's can't get killed.

42 minutes ago, fifties said:

I guess this could be argued either way, but I would go with Overstreet's determination.  A story is either horror or superhero; you can't really have the latter in a true horror story, which by it's nature puts ordinary people in danger, while superhero's can't get killed.

I've actually put a lot of thought and discussion into this exact question about Moon Girl #4 vs #5 :D . I used to try to argue among friends that #4 contained the first horror story, but I have since been convinced that the story in Moon Girl #4 is not a "horror" story precisely because Moon Girl is in it - therefore, it's a "superhero" story, not a "horror" story. So, I'm now calling the story in Moon Girl #4 something like "the first EC story with a horror element in it", whereas Moon Girl #5 contains the first pure "horror story"  

Seriously, before I came to this acceptance, I was hoarding copies of Moon Girl #4, awaiting the realization by the hobby that it was the first horror story lol

:screwy:

I absolutely see your reasoning. Still, I keep thinking about Moldoff’s process. ”Ok, horror. Let’s think...we’ll want a werewolf, a vampire, a zombie...”

A vampire story had to have been his first or second idea for a horror comic. That said, I’m positive that EC guys like Ed have put more thought into this than I. I’m just content that my Moon Girl 4 has the FIRST story from EC’s Tales of the Supernatural; a horror comic! 😄

On 10/31/2019 at 11:26 AM, OtherEric said:

I think it's quite possible that a Halloween cover could also be a Horror cover.  I think trying to identify the first EC horror cover is actually an interesting discussion, and a Land of the Lost cover is as likely a candidate as any.  I do not require that the creators of the book actually consciously thought "This is horror" to count a cover as horror.

I also think that, if we do pick a Land of the Lost cover as the first EC horror cover, 6 or (less certainly) 5 are probably better candidates for the honor.  Scans from GCD, if anybody has better ones I would love to see them:

Lotl5.jpg

Lotl6.jpg

Well here's a scan of the full run, I think the covers reflect mystery and adventure based off the radio program for children. Horror covers maybe a bit of a reach, but good covers.

land of the lost (2).JPG

10 hours ago, EC ed said:

I've actually put a lot of thought and discussion into this exact question about Moon Girl #4 vs #5 :D . I used to try to argue among friends that #4 contained the first horror story, but I have since been convinced that the story in Moon Girl #4 is not a "horror" story precisely because Moon Girl is in it - therefore, it's a "superhero" story, not a "horror" story. So, I'm now calling the story in Moon Girl #4 something like "the first EC story with a horror element in it", whereas Moon Girl #5 contains the first pure "horror story"  

Seriously, before I came to this acceptance, I was hoarding copies of Moon Girl #4, awaiting the realization by the hobby that it was the first horror story lol

:screwy:

I think Ed has explained it pretty much how most EC collectors look at it. Very cool story by Moldoff but a superhero story never the less.

moon girl4.jpg