• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Me too, especially the Wood alien designs.  (Feldstein and Williamson/Frazetta came up with some great ones too, of course, but nothing beats Wood in my book.)  Another all time fave:

ws16gfc_zps7fd74eb1.jpg

Whoa! Very sweet book.

53 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Whoa! Very sweet book.

(To myself:  "Uh oh... Sqeggs must not  develop an interest in EC sci-fi Gaines File copies!  I'd never win another one at auction again, with him bidding against me...") 

(Ahem...) 

Nawww, that's just drek, man.  In fact- how'd THAT get in there?  Can't believe I still even have that stale, unimaginative JUNK!  Ignore it.  (Please?) 

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Whoa! Very sweet book.

(To myself:  "Uh oh... Sqeggs must not  develop an interest in EC sci-fi Gaines File copies!  I'd never win another one at auction again, with him bidding against me...") 

(Ahem...) 

Nawww, that's just drek, man.  In fact- how'd THAT get in there?  Can't believe I still even have that stale, unimaginative JUNK!  Ignore it.  (Please?) 

Gaines File Copies, you say? hm

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I swear I remember when the Gaines files came to market. I wish I could have afforded them then. 

I swear I do, too.  I could barely afford the $400. at the time, but I made myself afford this lone representative book... which I've since had graded. 

ws14_6of12c_zpsyxecicqv.jpg

1 minute ago, jimjum12 said:

They were pricey for the time....and were snapped up quickly as I remember. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

As an example, there were three copies of Weird Science-Fantasy #29 available back then, at $800. each.  They all disappeared the first week of the sale.

I seem to remember each copy was numbered 1-12 and you had to select the one you wanted..... people were buying entire runs. I remember seeing Chris Foss at a Heroes Con maybe 10 years ago and he had all(?) of the Sci-Fi Titles....and they were steep. He said they were only "kind of" for sale lol I think he wanted 3K for the slabbed WS 20...A 9.6. That was always one of my faves. I've got decent copies of 16 and 20 in my NFS pile.... if I ever get tired of those, I'll probably be tired of comics all together. GOD BLESS....

17 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I seem to remember each copy was numbered 1-12 and you had to select the one you wanted..... people were buying entire runs. I remember seeing Chris Foss at a Heroes Con maybe 10 years ago and he had all(?) of the Sci-Fi Titles....and they were steep. He said they were only "kind of" for sale lol I think he wanted 3K for the slabbed WS 20...A 9.6. That was always one of my faves. I've got decent copies of 16 and 20 in my NFS pile.... if I ever get tired of those, I'll probably be tired of comics all together. GOD BLESS....

Originally, the top five ranked copies were put into sets by title, and sold at auction.  Bill Gaines saved the "bottom four" sets to leave to his kids.  Where there were a total of 12 copies (as was the case with most of them), that would leave three copies which were sold as individual books for specific prices.  

Edited by 29dukedog

I actually needed a number of issues, I had 1-14 for quite a while Jamie at Southern Cal Comics had got in a Mad collection including all the Mad comics so I bought the ones I needed to get up to issue 23.  These issues are easy to get so I hadn't been in a rush to pick them up. Was fun to see them all together though.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, jimjum12 said:

Here's one for ya... (to look at): 

ws20CVA_zps6445602b.jpg