• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

One of George Evans' best EC covers.  Ties for best Evans cover with Shock #17, imo.  

Shock17GFC_zps177a4cd4.jpg

This tension-filled cover is ten shades of awesome and a favorite SSSt! How could it not make anyone spotting it on the comic rack want to buy it just to find out whether she's aiming that pitchfork at the scarecrow or the girl?!?

Edited by Black_Adam

10 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Really pumped to pick up my favorite EC book in quite nice shape with the original EC mailer :luhv:

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

Rick,

You might want to check out the EC Fan Addict page on FB... there is some speculation that the seller of these was defacing some of Bill's envelopes and pairing them with different books. According to them, Bill wrote the date, title, and issue on the bottom left of each envelope. From the pic you posted it does appear that something was erased there :sorry:

1 minute ago, mrmitchgro said:

Rick,

You might want to check out the EC Fan Addict page on FB... there is some speculation that the seller of these was defacing some of Bill's envelopes and pairing them with different books. According to them, Bill wrote the date, title, and issue on the bottom left of each envelope. From the pic you posted it does appear that something was erased there :sorry:

I see what you are saying. I will look into that. Even to have the book in 7.5-8.0ish condition and have an envelope (even if not THE envelope) still makes me happy though :grin:

On 2/25/2017 at 6:49 PM, MrBedrock said:

A new acquisition. Had the comic...now have the black and white version!

hof18cover.jpg

A beauty, Richard! Did you get it from Russ? Read an article by him, I think (it's been awhile since I read it) I believe this is the one cover he'd settled on when out to dinner with Bill Gaines, having been offered his choice of any one cover from Bill's files that he could have to keep, gratis. Russ' first choice was WSF 29, but in finding out that was an impossibility due to Frazetta's having retained it, HOF 18 (the one and only HOF cover featuring a Ghastly-drawn OW in the art) was Russ' next choice.

Of course that's my recollection, but Russ is on facebook, and I suppose I could confirm with him.

In any case -- an amazing piece of original EC art! :)

9 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I see what you are saying. I will look into that. Even to have the book in 7.5-8.0ish condition and have an envelope (even if not THE envelope) still makes me happy though :grin:

I bid on a bunch of the Ebay EC auctions last month with the original mailers (unfortunately, I didn't win any), and all of the mailers clearly showed the notation for the issue they were shipped with on the lower left corner. It's so strange that this seller (who won at least one of the auctions I bid on) decided to erase/deface the notation when reselling them. Maybe he thought the writing on them made them less desirable?  (shrug)

8 hours ago, originalisbest said:

A beauty, Richard! Did you get it from Russ? Read an article by him, I think (it's been awhile since I read it) I believe this is the one cover he'd settled on when out to dinner with Bill Gaines, having been offered his choice of any one cover from Bill's files that he could have to keep, gratis. Russ' first choice was WSF 29, but in finding out that was an impossibility due to Frazetta's having retained it, HOF 18 (the one and only HOF cover featuring a Ghastly-drawn OW in the art) was Russ' next choice.

Of course that's my recollection, but Russ is on facebook, and I suppose I could confirm with him.

In any case -- an amazing piece of original EC art! :)

That story is all true. But he had passed it along awhile ago.