• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, AJD said:

That's pretty much what Feldstein said about it too: "I don't know what we were thinking". It's not without some offbeat charm though.

They were desperate for safe concepts for books.  Jack Kaman was as good an artist at showing subtle details of what people are thinking and feeling as there has ever been.  (I can't imagine the book with any other artist.). And if you want to do psychological drama, it's practically right there in the title.

Other than being a obviously horrible idea, it wasn't a horrible idea. lol

Edited by OtherEric

I posted these images in the OA thread - but since many fans of this thread don't cross over often, I thought posting here would be acceptable too. 

I was re-reading Saddle Romances 11 and comparing it to the OA... 

I think my favourite part of the OA is the white-out tears that obviously don't appear in the printed book... 

IMG_6099.JPG

IMG_6086.JPG

IMG_6087.JPG

On 11/7/2017 at 3:03 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Time for an early Mad...and the Life Magazine the cover was a parody of...if you own the Mad 11, you have to buy the Life Magazine too...:insane:

15988591743_94161013f2_c.jpg

37648216481_dc0036a9b1_c.jpg

That's interesting, but the Mad was a year later. Did Life often run covers featuring attractive young women during this period or was this cover considered memorable enough that readers could have been expected to recall it when they saw the Mad cover? hm

19 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

That's interesting, but the Mad was a year later. Did Life often run covers featuring attractive young women during this period or was this cover considered memorable enough that readers could have been expected to recall it when they saw the Mad cover? hm

I don't know, but there is a pic of the Life cover inside the Mad...

3 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I don't know, but there is a pic of the Life cover inside the Mad...

So there is - I'd forgotten that. A search on eBay for "Life Magazine 1953" shows that pretty young faces weren't that rare. But, yes, it's that particular issue on the inside cover of Mad #11, alongside their own cover, with the text "beware of imitations".

4 minutes ago, AJD said:

So there is - I'd forgotten that. A search on eBay for "Life Magazine 1953" shows that pretty young faces weren't that rare. But, yes, it's that particular issue on the inside cover of Mad #11, alongside their own cover, with the text "beware of imitations".

Hysterical...wasn't it? hm

1 hour ago, mstrange said:

Just picked this up.  Came with the original EC envelope it was shipped in back in the day.

ShockSuspenStories6.jpeg.c723c1bc86955df179b63e9cb5202293.jpg

What Point Five said - just wonderful. That book has been on my want list for years. Ever since it was cheap enough for me to afford one. lol