• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FREE DIME NOVEL WHEN BUYING THE DIME NOVEL PRICE GUIDE!

30 posts in this topic

HI ALL :news:doh! I MUST BE NUTS!

LIMITED TIME ONLY!!!! FREE DIME NOVEL OR EARLY REPRINT!! LAST DAY TO ORDER MAY 25, 2014 SUNDAY.

I've been collecting for a long, long time. :) Some here know my story; discovering the Bethlehem collection...building world class collections, at the time, in GA and SA comic books, then in Pulp Magazines...and since in dime novels and story papers along with collections in other areas, that relate to Popular fiction, such as early comic almanacs and humor periodicals. Others know me here as mostly a serious buyer of GA and SA comics, coming full cycle! :makepoint:

Anyway, for years I have been trying to promote dime novels and nickel weeklies along with the story papers which began in the mid 19th century. I put out my first book in 2005 depicting all the SF Frank Reade Weekly issues and many more images as they relate to the era. Inside I showed illustrations of Steam men, Electric man, flying machines...a Batman-like character as well as a "Super-man."

This GUIDE BOOK is a visual treat! There are over 1700 total images of dime novels and story papers. There is also a rarity factor, value gauge and other information as well as information on 11 major publishers, also the main heroes and villains of the era such as Jesse James and Buffalo Bill. Different genres are covered and a whole lot more! Book is 218 pages, 8.5 X 11. IN COLOR!

In addition the comic book artist Kim Deitch has also created a double spread page humorous image of his design based on the period and of the time.

I offer this book at a SPECIAL PRICE for Forum members...much less than ebay or even Amazon. My price shipped in US is $32 in hopes you will try. (International More) Retail is $45 plus shipping. I ACCEPT PAYPAL.

I have thousands of dime novels and story papers for sale and also look to buy items I need or even ones I do not need in nice shape for upgrades as I have over 40,000 in all!

:acclaim:

A word of note: Nickel Weeky(s) have already been graded by CGC. I am sorry to say (nothing personal) that they really do not know how to grade such items and grade as they would comics. For example; Pages were uncut at printing causing irregular cutting of pages by the buyer which graders deduct heavily for while dime collectors do not care much about. Also it was common to clip corners which made it easier to read...again major deduction by CGC...minor from the standpoint of a collector who knows of such a common practice.

Anyway...here goes! You can see in the background many of the forms of Popular fiction that I collect and sometimes have dupes of...so feel free to ask.

In the mean time, I do hope you will consider adding "dime novels" to you collection...they are fun to collect, most are cheap and deserve there place with other forms of popular fictions, items such as comic books that are treasured by institution, collectors and investors alike. :wishluck:

Here is more information and our (Mike Sanchez-Saavedra co-author) announcement:

"ANNOUNCING:

THE ILLUSTRATED DIME NOVEL PRICE GUIDE COMPANION

Until now, no reference work has even begun to encompass the incredible variety and imagination that anonymous staff illustrators lavished on dime novel covers between 1860 and the 1930s. It is a sensual treat to examine a collection of these ephemeral publications with their eye-popping black-and-white or full-color graphics. The fact that so many surviving specimens are painstakingly patched, taped, stapled, and bound by amateur conservators speaks volumes about their value to a succession of owners over the past century or more.

As J. Randolph Cox points out in his Dime Novel Companion, “In the beginning, the term ‘dime novel’ was a brand name. ‘Beadle’s Dime Novels’ (1860-1874) was a series of paper covered booklets, published at intervals, and numbered in sequence… Each contained a work of fiction, a short novel with a sensational and melodramatic plot that sold for ten cents.” The publisher’s motto was “A Dollar Book for a Dime,” and they sold like hotcakes. Although the original dime booklets were aimed at adult readers, a growing juvenile audience prompted a new emphasis on adolescent action and adventure and a reduction in price. Young boys would feast their eyes on bold woodcuts showing slavering Indians tying captives to torture stakes, square-jawed trappers killing grizzly bears with bowie knives or Revolutionary War heroes sabering British dragoons.

Besides tracing themes such as gender roles, racial stereotypes, labor-management conflicts ethnic humor, and so on, the publication history of dime novels is a microcosm of communication and distribution technology from the 1850s through the 1930s.

The authors hope that this guide will introduce a new audience of dealers, collectors, and scholars to the “wild and wonderful” lost world of nineteenth-century popular literature and graphics to create appreciation for these stalwart ink-and-paper artifacts."

GUIDEBOOKCOVERWITHBACKGROUNDPOPFICTIONIMAGES_zps1dd103d3.jpg

Here is just the book ..back,front, spine...

GUIDE_BOOK_COVER_FINAL_DRAFT_zps7709ce73.jpeg

HI ALL :news:doh! I MUST BE NUTS

LIMITED TIME ONLY!!!! FREE DIME NOVEL OR EARLY REPRINT!! LAST DAY TO ORDER MAY 25, 2014 SUNDAY.

I've been collecting for a long, long time. \:\) Some here know my story; discovering the Bethlehem collection...building world class collections, at the time, in GA and SA comic books, then in Pulp Magazines...and since in dime novels and story papers along with collections in other areas, that relate to Popular fiction, such as early comic almanacs and humor periodicals. Others know me here as mostly a serious buyer of GA and SA comics, coming full cycle!

Anyway, for years I have been trying to promote dime novels and nickel weeklies along with the story papers which began in the mid 19th century. I put out my first book in 2005 depicting all the SF Frank Reade Weekly issues and many more images as they relate to the era. Inside I showed illustrations of Steam men, Electric man, flying machines...a Batman-like character as well as a "Super-man."

This GUIDE BOOK is a visual treat! There are over 1700 total images of dime novels and story papers. There is also a rarity factor, value gauge and other information as well as information on 11 major publishers, also the main heroes and villains of the era such as Jesse James and Buffalo Bill. Different genres are covered and a whole lot more! Book is 218 pages, 8.5 X 11. IN COLOR!

In addition the comic book artist Kim Deitch has also created a double spread page humorous image of his design based on the period and of the time.

I offer this book at a SPECIAL PRICE for Forum members...much less than ebay or even Amazon. My price shipped in US is $32 in hopes you will try. (International More) Retail is $45 plus shipping. I ACCEPT PAYPAL.

I have thousands of dime novels and story papers for sale and also look to buy items I need or even ones I do not need in nice shape for upgrades as I have over 40,000 in all!

A word of note: Nickel Weeky(s) have already been graded by CGC. I am sorry to say (nothing personal) that they really do not know how to grade such items and grade as they would comics. For example; Pages were uncut at printing causing irregular cutting of pages by the buyer which graders deduct heavily for while dime collectors do not care much about. Also it was common to clip corners which made it easier to read...again major deduction by CGC...minor from the standpoint of a collector who knows of such a common practice.

Anyway...here goes! You can see in the background many of the forms of Popular fiction that I collect and sometimes have dupes of...so feel free to ask.

In the mean time, I do hope you will consider adding "dime novels" to you collection...they are fun to collect, most are cheap and deserve there place with other forms of popular fictions, items such as comic books that are treasured by institution, collectors and investors alike.

Here is more information and our (Mike Sanchez-Saavedra co-author) announcement:

"ANNOUNCING:

THE ILLUSTRATED DIME NOVEL PRICE GUIDE COMPANION

Until now, no reference work has even begun to encompass the incredible variety and imagination that anonymous staff illustrators lavished on dime novel covers between 1860 and the 1930s. It is a sensual treat to examine a collection of these ephemeral publications with their eye-popping black-and-white or full-color graphics. The fact that so many surviving specimens are painstakingly patched, taped, stapled, and bound by amateur conservators speaks volumes about their value to a succession of owners over the past century or more.

As J. Randolph Cox points out in his Dime Novel Companion, “In the beginning, the term ‘dime novel’ was a brand name. ‘Beadle’s Dime Novels’ (1860-1874) was a series of paper covered booklets, published at intervals, and numbered in sequence… Each contained a work of fiction, a short novel with a sensational and melodramatic plot that sold for ten cents.” The publisher’s motto was “A Dollar Book for a Dime,” and they sold like hotcakes. Although the original dime booklets were aimed at adult readers, a growing juvenile audience prompted a new emphasis on adolescent action and adventure and a reduction in price. Young boys would feast their eyes on bold woodcuts showing slavering Indians tying captives to torture stakes, square-jawed trappers killing grizzly bears with bowie knives or Revolutionary War heroes sabering British dragoons.

Besides tracing themes such as gender roles, racial stereotypes, labor-management conflicts ethnic humor, and so on, the publication history of dime novels is a microcosm of communication and distribution technology from the 1850s through the 1930s.

The authors hope that this guide will introduce a new audience of dealers, collectors, and scholars to the “wild and wonderful” lost world of nineteenth-century popular literature and graphics to create appreciation for these stalwart ink-and-paper artifacts."

GUIDEBOOKCOVERWITHBACKGROUNDPOPFICTIONIMAGES_zps1dd103d3.jpgGUIDE_BOOK_COVER_FINAL_DRAFT_zps7709ce73.jpeg

:takeit:

I can't wait to check this out. I know you spent many many hours on this beauty of a book. Congrats Joe and GLWYS. Anybody who is curios about the genre and history, ask this man. I think he knows it all lol

Looks like a giant undertaking!

If I did not have too much things to sort and going on already I would have loved to browse it. I have a similar work done on italian publications of the same period ("Heroes of Popular Novels: Before the Comics") which came in two big bound volumes. This is how it looks like (came out in the 1980s or so).

Do you have an index of the contents? :)

EToY7Yrh.jpg

cZPCP6Ch.jpg

Yes, it was quite time absorbing!

Fortunately I had a partner, although he wrote more of the text. I did almost all of the illustrations and format design, as almost all came from my collection.

I do not have the two volume book you were kind enough to show images of...I will certainly look into it although, for me, International related penny dreadfuls make up only a small fraction of my collection.

I do however have a complete set of Fantomas for example and also the super rare Ned Kelly, as well as the HG of penny bloods Varney the Vampire!

Thanks again

Joe

Lets see how daring this group is...and who will take a chance and buy my book!

Oh, I showed it to you just for curiosity, I understand that these publications are more fascinating for us when they are part of the history of our own country and/or culture.

The american ones are fascinating regardless, as forms of "popular literature" which nonetheless took different directions in various countries (i.e. in Italy comics did not "crystallize" just in the "primary" format of the comic book).

Although a good number of the italian ones were editions of french ones, but with great original illustrations for the covers, like L’Affascinatore, which was the italian edition of the french Fascinax, but our edition had great cover illustrations by Giove Toppi. I was looking for some, but they never surface! :D

zyEMrBB.jpg

I do have reference books from other countries as they relate to popular fiction. Overall I probably have 500 reference books. I was hoping someone here would also have an interest in the history and not just a specific book.

Yes that is a great cover image! I find the French in particular were most imaginative and progressive in their artwork as it pertains to fiction. I love it!

There are so many interesting characters. I imagine the Italian versions of Nick Carter and others are quite fun to see and own even if one cannot read.

FANTOMAS22copy_zpsd04849c3.jpg

Oddly enough, collecting is often at odds with history and sometimes even with interest and love for the stories. Regardless, these are efforts that are often worthy.

Do you have a preview of the book in PDF format? I’d like to see how it is set up in the insides… :)

Go to Amazon. You may be better off buying it there, not sure of their shipping rate. But from here it is $22.30 to ship to Europe.

If you look up the title...they have the first 40 pages and a random page selection which should give you (even more than I like) preview. ;)

I guess you also collect comics since you are here!? :)

Amazon is selling at discount to just over $38 plus shipping...I make next to nothing on it..but that is fine. More interested in getting the word out. J

Thanks to both of you.....

Saw your book today in my regular ebay searches for Dime Novels & story papers and am very much looking forward to it. I was actually googling to see if you might have a webpage somewhere, and was surprised to find this thread in one of my regular haunts. lol

Would you mind addressing a couple of basic questions about this area of collecting? As a beginner to this area there's a few things that I'm not clear about.

1) The Dime Novel Club reprints of the '40s seem pretty common... and it looks to my unpracticed eye that many ebay sellers confuse them with originals as well. What are the basic ways to tell? I think I've read they are a different size and are marked as reprints on the interior?

I guess I'm basically wondering if there are any obvious tell-tales from just looking at an auction listing with a front cover. Basically now if the paper looks TOO good I'm assuming it's a reprint... but I'm sure there are other things to look for. hm

2) Along those lines, I think I've read that many story papers went through multiple printings...? Are they typically marked as such, and does pricing vary accordingly?

Thanks for any info and again, looking forward to the book. Just getting started in this area and find it pretty fascinating.

Hi Marc

Thanks for writing and your interest! My website is quite old and will soon have an upgrade where I hope to eventually post comics, dime novels, story papers, penny dreadfuls, comic almanacs, humor periodicals, pulps and more!

Regarding your questions;

#1 the reprints were done quite well and can be hard to tell, as you stated. Generally the b&w issues are too neatly cut for one, the originals less so. About half of the 74 reprints issues have some form of wording such as "Dime Novel Club." The others more difficult like the Frank Reade Library #17 where whenever it comes up people pay high for but in almost all cases I've seen over the years it is the reprint. Best way to tell is contact the Dime Novel Round-up editor for issue #633 dated June 1995 for a copy as it gives a break down of each and every issue!

#2 Story papers did not go through multiple printings while many of the dime novels have. Original printings such as in the Beadle Dime Library are marked first printing at top margin or not marked at all. Later the printing changes...and I have seen more than 20 printings...ads change as well, and even sometime text but image and basic story the same.

I am going to add a FREE DIME NOVEL to Members Only that buy here and anyone who has already bought will also get a free dime novel issue or early reprint..nothing special, but hey its FREE! Thanks for asking..home you will buy soon as I know you will love the book!

Best

Joe

My email and paypal the same pulp9860@aol.com

Joe -- Thanks very much for the answers & info! I had my business partner grab your book off ebay yesterday when I saw it and I'm really looking forward to it. Just started getting into this area so it's good timing for me. I started reading the old 1920s "Dime Novels" history book by Edmund Pierson and find it pretty fascinating in regards to some of the business and distribution practices that started in the late 1800s and trickled down through the pulps and early comics.

Have also stumbled across the 1936 Ralph Cummings dime novel catalog/"price guide" and it kind of blows my mind to see market report-style discussion, good-to-fine condition designations, and what appears to be price spreads by condition (...?) at that early date. The parallels to early comic collecting there are amazing.

One other question if you don't mind -- you noted the corner trimming for easier reading, and of course you see that very often in auction pics so I was curious about it. I guess that was because the pages were often not trimmed very well and stuck together?

Thanks again,

Mark

Hi Marc

Thanks for writing and your interest! My website is quite old and will soon have an upgrade where I hope to eventually post comics, dime novels, story papers, penny dreadfuls, comic almanacs, humor periodicals, pulps and more!

Regarding your questions;

#1 the reprints were done quite well and can be hard to tell, as you stated. Generally the b&w issues are too neatly cut for one, the originals less so. About half of the 74 reprints issues have some form of wording such as "Dime Novel Club." The others more difficult like the Frank Reade Library #17 where whenever it comes up people pay high for but in almost all cases I've seen over the years it is the reprint. Best way to tell is contact the Dime Novel Round-up editor for issue #633 dated June 1995 for a copy as it gives a break down of each and every issue!

#2 Story papers did not go through multiple printings while many of the dime novels have. Original printings such as in the Beadle Dime Library are marked first printing at top margin or not marked at all. Later the printing changes...and I have seen more than 20 printings...ads change as well, and even sometime text but image and basic story the same.

I am going to add a FREE DIME NOVEL to Members Only that buy here and anyone who has already bought will also get a free dime novel issue or early reprint..nothing special, but hey its FREE! Thanks for asking..home you will buy soon as I know you will love the book!

Best

Joe

My email and paypal the same pulp9860@aol.com

HI MARK

THANKS for your purchase...I will make sure in insert genuine dime novel in your package. What is your partners name so I make sure to insert in the correct order?

Yes, I love the early fanzines...and have all the DNRUs. Do you still get? I am also inserting in every buy a flyer for the DNRU which is offering a discount for new members.

Regarding your question; Since pages of dime novels were folded first in production, every 4 pages would be printed together at top and bottom. A pen knife was the usual instrument to cut pages for the reader. They found by cutting the corner or corners first it was easier to cut the pages and read. The corners contained no text or part of an image so it was for convenience.

I will soon be posting a Frank Reade Library along with my reprint book with two of such stories.

thanks again..

Joe

Thanks Joe, that order would have been placed under William Christensen / Comic Cavalcade.

I'm just getting into it so haven't gotten DNRU yet, so I'll probably take advantage of that discount. I saw that complete set of 'em on ebay recently but didn't quite have my bearings on this area yet so didn't make the jump -- I see that didn't last long though!

Is your Frank Reade reprint book still available? I'd buy one of those if you still have 'em.

HI MARK

THANKS for your purchase...I will make sure in insert genuine dime novel in your package. What is your partners name so I make sure to insert in the correct order?

Yes, I love the early fanzines...and have all the DNRUs. Do you still get? I am also inserting in every buy a flyer for the DNRU which is offering a discount for new members.

Regarding your question; Since pages of dime novels were folded first in production, every 4 pages would be printed together at top and bottom. A pen knife was the usual instrument to cut pages for the reader. They found by cutting the corner or corners first it was easier to cut the pages and read. The corners contained no text or part of an image so it was for convenience.

I will soon be posting a Frank Reade Library along with my reprint book with two of such stories.

thanks again..

Joe