• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite model kits based on comic book characters
2 2

129 posts in this topic

Question:

For those of you who have built the Aurora kits and the like, what type/brand of putty do you use to fill the seams?

I've been using the Testors putty since I was a teenager and I absolutely hate the stuff, it's total rubbish.

There has to be something better. Otherwise, model building is going to be too much aggravation for me.

It's been a while, but the hobby standard was Milliput (Amazon.com link) . I also had great results with an A+B Epoxy Putty (Amazon.com link).

The process was pinch off small part of both A & B, moosh them together into a well mixed ball, then use pinches of that to force into seams, gaps and pits. Dip a finger or paper towel in rubbing alcohol, wipe off any excess. Let it harden, then sand with 400 grit sandpaper until blended or the seam disappears. And, if needed, before it dries you can use toothpicks to sculpt in small details like hair areas, clothes wrinkles and the like. Handles like clay, hardens like a rock.

howto3.jpgnew-9900-7big.jpg

Squadron Putty is a favorite of mine. Use it all the time.

Avery's Epoxy Sculpt too.

Here's an example. Used it to make the penguins, water, and background blasts.

Batboat.jpg

Edited by Mister_Comics

The Phantom 1965 reissue from Atlantis/Revell - $29.95

atlphantom.jpg

This is a Preorder Reservation item and expected in mid-2016 See preorder instructions below.

PREORDER PRICE $29.95

Retail Price $39.95

New reissue of the 1965 Phantom and th Witch Doctor kit from Revell. This is an all plastic kit made from the original Revell molds.

:whee:

We have a terrific model expo/convention here in Louisville called Wonderfest, and it's coming up in a few weeks.

Wonderfest

(And no, I'm not associated with the show.)

I attend every year and can't believe the artistry and skill involved in putting these things together. I have no skills whatsoever, though I've tried it a few times. I lack the patience and steady hands. But every year I think "this year I'm gonna buy a kit and put it together!" Maybe this will be the year?

Keep the pics coming!

We have a terrific model expo/convention here in Louisville called Wonderfest, and it's coming up in a few weeks.

Wonderfest

I attend every year and can't believe the artistry and skill involved in putting these things together. I have no skills whatsoever, though I've tried it a few times. I lack the patience and steady hands. But every year I think "this year I'm gonna buy a kit and put it together!" Maybe this will be the year?

Keep the pics coming!

Holy :censored:!

William Stout and Mark Schultz in the guest lineup.

This might be the year to finally make the effort to get there.

Wonderfest

Keep the pics coming!

Holy :censored:!

William Stout and Mark Schultz in the guest lineup.

This might be the year to finally make the effort to get there.

Yup! And what's great is that everyone is so focused on models, the artists usually don't have any kind of lines. So you'd have a very good shot at having them all to yourself, at least for a few minutes!

Moebius Models Announces New Star Trek License

Big news out of the San Diego Comic Con. Moebius Models will be producing Star Trek kits based on the new movies. Details to be announced. It has not been determined what size or scale will be produced. The license covers all the ships from the movies. Moebius may also produce lighting kits for the models.

Once Moebius Models can pass along further details we will share them. Much like the recently announced license for 2001, no plans have been finalized yet.

newEnterpriseA.jpg