• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does it all weigh?

11 posts in this topic

I always wondered, but never saw any definite numbers, so I bought home my shipping scale from work, and here you go!

Long box, old style that was thicker, one comic per bag and board, 211 comics, 38.24 lbs.

Long box, new style that is thinner, 2 comics per bag/board, 348 comics, 60.25 lbs.

Long box, new style, 2 per, 353 comics, 59.04 lbs.

Magazine box, one comic per mylar bag and board, 148 comics, 31.79 lbs.

CGC box, one slab with mylar sleeve, 33 books, 31.9 lbs.

CGC box, one slab with mylar sleeve, 32 books, 32.5 lbs.

1 CGC slab with mylar sleeve, Batman Inc Leviathan, 1.24 lbs.

1 CGC slab with mylar sleeve, Elfquest 1, .91 lbs.

Reg bag and board from Midtown, .005 lbs.

Mylar from BCE, .007 lbs.

Kamandi #1, 1972, .16 lbs.

Saga #1, 2012, .27 lbs.

X-Factor #1, 1986, .20 lbs.

Shadow: Midnight in Moscow, 2014, .17 lbs.

Then, for those of you with comic room supported weight concerns, I have learned this.

Average home in US is built to support between 40 and 60 lbs per square foot.

40 being the average bedroom, 60 being the kitchen.

As an example, my comic room is 21 x 12, so 252 square feet. 252 x 40, the minimum amount in the US, is 10,080 pounds of supported weight.

I have 100 full long boxes, averaging 55 lbs each, for 5500 lbs.

I have 35 CGC boxes, averaging 32 lbs each, for 1120 lbs.

I have miscellaneous supplies, shelves, work table, etc, for 1000 lbs.

I have me for 250 lbs.

So, my total weight in my room is 7870. WOO HOO, room for more!!!!!

Threadsurrection because this is good info but also to RFC on how much does the following weigh:

Drawerbox (Long) full of comics bagged and boarded with mylite2 and fullbacks

According to the website, a Drawerbox (long) holds 235 comics bagged and boarded. IIRC from experience with mylite2's and fullbacks only 230 fit

Any ideas. I'm betting roughly about 50lbs.

Thanks

That doesn't sound right at all. I'm an ICC certified reinforced concrete inspector. I don't think load limits were ever mentioned when I was getting my certification (maybe that's the city building inspector's jurisdiction so they figured why bother with it in my class), but this isn't a lot of weight at all. A four inch slab of 4000psi with a mat of #4's every 12" aught to be able to handle quite a load. But then again some slabs are only 2500psi, I'm sure it depends entirely on the size of your house and the seismic zone you live in.

That doesn't sound right at all. I'm an ICC certified reinforced concrete inspector. I don't think load limits were ever mentioned when I was getting my certification (maybe that's the city building inspector's jurisdiction so they figured why bother with it in my class), but this isn't a lot of weight at all. A four inch slab of 4000psi with a mat of #4's every 12" aught to be able to handle quite a load. But then again some slabs are only 2500psi, I'm sure it depends entirely on the size of your house and the seismic zone you live in.

Damn...size does matter!

I couldn't help myself, just had to say it.

Well, my room has not fallen into the garage yet, so it must be low if anything. Just do an internet search, and the 40 lbs per square foot is most commonly agreed on, and 60 for kitchen areas. And I don't think it applies to a fat guy standing on one foot in the middle of the room (I tried that), it is overall weight, or load for that room. Spread the weight out as much as possible to be safe. I used steel sheets under the feet of my shelves to do that.

Got the answer:

Drawerbox (Long) full of comics bagged and boarded with mylite2 and fullbacks: 52.9lbs

177 comics (could fit more but not safely as it is already tighter than a gnats )

That's 48 less comics than with normal bags and boards according to Drawerbox's website FAQ.