• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quilified status??????

12 posts in this topic

I ve been in collecting books for years, but just now started sending my books to CGC, I was wondering what kind of defects if any, would give a book a Quilified grade?

Feathers inside the book! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

I ve been in collecting books for years, but just now started sending my books to CGC, I was wondering what kind of defects if any, would give a book a Quilified grade?

Feathers inside the book! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

ironic? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok, subject to amendment by other, ahem, more enlightened board members:

A Qualified grade is generally given to high grade book ( VF - NM) which has ONE specific glaring defect, e.g., a 2" tear to the back cover, cover detached at the top staple only, coupon cut out, name written on cover in ink, etc., which prevents it from obtaining that high grade. A Q grade recognizes that without that one defect, the book is a beauty.

Although, there are exceptions to every rule as we have seen Qualified grades given to books as low as 3.5 (see Hulk #181 census - presumedly for a missing Marvel Value Stamp)

Cut-out Marvel Value Stamps and signatures seem to be the most common Qualified grades, it seems to me. CGC won't verify the authenticity of anybody's signature (and who can blame them) unless it's part of their yellow-label Signature Series.

Todd "You yellow-labeled varmints!" Frye