• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Anti-Communist Comics!
8 8

638 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2018 at 10:34 AM, Sqeggs said:

Won this pro-Commie book last night.  Couldn't find any info on it.  The way these things go, it was probably a warehouse find and a ton of copies will start showing up for sale.

Made me wonder how many left-wing comics were published in the 1940s and 1950s.  The focus of this thread, of course, has been on comics from the other end of the political spectrum.  

str48.1a.jpg

Another copy in the next Comiconnect auction

On 1/21/2019 at 10:06 AM, eccomic said:

Just made arrangements to acquire this amazing set.

18"  24" poster announcing the publication of the Red Iceberg by the Catechetical Guild/Impact Publications, along with the Advance of Communism LP 

Order_3.jpg

121767402448.jpg

Very cool find!

I just picked up this copy of "The Two Faces of Communism" on eBay tonight.  It appears that there are at least four (and maybe five) versions.  There are two newsprint cover versions  with version A having an ad soliciting customers to order customized copies on the last page and version B having the customer's customization or a blank space on the last page.  There are also two slick cover versions with version C. having an ad soliciting customers to order customization on the back cover and version D. having a blank back cover (or a customized back cover which I just haven't seen yet).  The chronology on these versions is unknown, but Mark Zaid surmises that the newsprint versions came first so, for now, I'm going with that.  The slick covers are harder to find and are cooler in my humble opinion.  

Zaid's argument (see up thread) for why the newsprint version predates the slick cover is based on the listing of product for sale on the inside back cover of the slick version.  Another argument he didn't raise, but I find more convincing, is that the sequel to this comic  - "Double Talk" - only exists (as far as I know) in a slick cover version.  

So here's my newly acquired version C (slick cover - solicitation ad for customization on the back): 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Here's Ver. A  (newsprint cover with solicitation add for customization on the back page):

Silver Age (1956-1969):Miscellaneous, Two Faces of Communism #nn (Christian Anti-Communism Crusade, Houston, Texas, 1961) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Cream to off-white pages....Silver Age (1956-1969):Miscellaneous, Two Faces of Communism #nn (Christian Anti-Communism Crusade, Houston, Texas, 1961) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Cream to off-white pages....

Ver. B.1  (same newsprint front cover with customized last page - names of different customers and blank space versions seen):

TWO FACES COMMUNISM. Anti-Communist comic book from 1961. - $159.00 |  PicClick

Ver. B.2 (color variant front cover - grey hair and orange "faces).  These were obviously printed to order because of the customization on the back page, so a batch paper to have resulted in a color variant.  I have not seen this color variant in a slick cover yet.

image.png.2879f7200da8e6308813edd09a08656f.png

Ver. C - Slick cover with add solicitation add for customization on back page:

See my version above.

Ver. D. - Slick cover with blank back page (same front cover).  I suspect that this version probably is just a customized version with no customization.  In other words, the versions with ads offering customization were some sort of promo solicitation version and the subsequent versions with customization or a blank space (their choice) were ordered by customers:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

On 7/21/2005 at 7:01 PM, esquirecomics said:

After reading the books the other night (BTW, the story is really interesting), it looks to me that the paper copy came out first followed by the glossy version. The back of the paper version advertises the book for sale at $90 per 1,000 and offers to imprint a personalized message on the book. Lesser quantities are available for sale with no imprinted message. There is no reference to the glossy cover version.

The glossy version, on the other hand, states in the inside that a "standard" cover version is available for sale at 100 for $10. It also advertises the paper copy at the same price referenced above.

After looking at this further, Zaid's above argument for which version came first has fallen apart for me.  Why?  Because the inside back cover for the glossy/slick version he describes in his post is materially different from both versions of the glossy/slick inside cover I post above.  Neither of the versions I post advertises both a "standard version" of the comic and a paper version.  Which means that there are three different versions of the slick/glossy version based just on the inside back covers.  

I now believe that any copy advertising for personalization on the outside back cover (slick/glossy and newsprint) was a solicitation copy sent gratis to prospective customers.  

Edited by sfcityduck

New info on Two Faces of Communism and Double Talk.  Here's confirmation that Two Faces came first from an ad for Double Talk in the June 1962 Christian Anti-Communism Crusade newsletter:

IMG_0936.thumb.jpg.edae8c45fdb5a0a7cf0b7dd334de6e42.jpg

And here's info on an Indian edition of Two Faces for the hardcore collectors to seek out from the April 1962 CACC newsletter:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.0a8cf3a581e480544623e176621e46bd.jpg

Missed this one on Ebay yesterday.... :cry:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165184273224?hash=item2675bffb48:g:f2UAAOSwOaBhjQRF

If a kind boardie managed to pick this up I would be willing to offer an incentive financially if they would be willing to sell this to me or a cool trade as I possess some very rare Anti communists comics as well :wishluck:

Feel free to PM me.  :wink:

Stephen

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by eccomic

On 11/16/2021 at 10:55 AM, eccomic said:

Missed this one on Ebay yesterday.... :cry:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165184273224?hash=item2675bffb48:g:f2UAAOSwOaBhjQRF

If a kind boardie managed to pick this up I would be willing to offer an incentive financially if they would be willing to sell this to me or a cool trade as I possess some very rare Anti communists comics as well :wishluck:

Feel free to PM me.  :wink:

Stephen

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Never saw this before.