• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Anti-Communist Comics!
8 8

638 posts in this topic

My latest acquisition for the collection: the French-Canadian version of "Is This Tomorrow". Not the best copy in the world, but then again this is a Gerber "8" so I wasn't taking any chances of missing an opportunity to pick it up.

What a cool and unusual book!

What's that band at the level of the fingertips? A digital watermark? A holder?

Jack

My latest acquisition for the collection: the French-Canadian version of "Is This Tomorrow". Not the best copy in the world, but then again this is a Gerber "8" so I wasn't taking any chances of missing an opportunity to pick it up.

I noticed that as well after I scanned the book. I think it is some sort of watermark that appeared becaue of the high resolution on the scanner. It's not part of an image that appears overtly on the interior, which is what I initially thought it was. Interesting.

...the French-Canadian version of "Is This Tomorrow". ...

I noticed that as well after I scanned the book. I think it is some sort of watermark that appeared becaue of the high resolution on the scanner. It's not part of an image that appears overtly on the interior, which is what I initially thought it was. Interesting.

It can't be a watermark on the book itself, can it? It extends past the spine. Were you scanning through a holder?

Jack

It can't be a watermark on the book itself, can it? It extends past the spine. Were you scanning through a holder?

No, I scanned it raw. I can see a faint imprint on the splash page that makes up part of the image, but it looks like the wording is from the cover itself.

No, I scanned it raw. I can see a faint imprint on the splash page that makes up part of the image, but it looks like the wording is from the cover itself.

It must not be clear what I meant.

Look at the scan to the left of the "bird" finger and just above the bottom staple. The pattern continues on the black area to the left of the book. The mark can't actually be on the book, right?

What am I missing?

Jack

It must not be clear what I meant.

Look at the scan to the left of the "bird" finger and just above the bottom staple. The pattern continues on the black area to the left of the book. The mark can't actually be on the book, right?

What am I missing?

Gotcha Jack. Sorry, I didn't understand. Now that you point that out I am reconsidering what this might be. Somehow I think actually this is a double image that the scanner created. As I examine the imprint it is identical, both in wording and image, to what is on the cover itself. It might be a scanner issue.

I'll re-scan it and see if it happens again. We'll solve the mystery!

Gotcha Jack. Sorry, I didn't understand. Now that you point that out I am reconsidering what this might be. Somehow I think actually this is a double image that the scanner created. As I examine the imprint it is identical, both in wording and image, to what is on the cover itself. It might be a scanner issue.

I'll re-scan it and see if it happens again. We'll solve the mystery!

That's a relief. There's a coarse grid of dots above the "ghost" of the bottom of the book up to the bottom of the logo too. Must be a scanner or computer glitch. A re-scan should do the trick.

Jack

This is the third issue in the "This Godless Communism" series - not an anti-communist cover, but pretty anti-commie on the inside!

treasurechest.jpg

Hey, Doughnut!

Have you heard from Mary Ann Manuel recently??? popcorn.gif

yay.gif

You are seeing a comic book that many thought did not exist. This is the cover of IF AN A-BOMB FALLS. This COLD WAR CIVIL DEFENSE COMIC BOOK was produced in 1951, at the height of ATOMIC PARANOIA.

Here is a book that I recently picked up that falls in the same vein as your purchase. I do not believe this 5x7 giveaway comic is listed in the Overstreet Price Guide. This book came from the personal files of Malcolm Ater, publisher for Commercial Comics.

938068-TheH-BombandYou.jpg

The seller writes the following:

THE H-BOMB AND YOU"

This VERY SCARCE 20-page book, including a 4-page slick cover that shows the very first government tested EXPLOSION of the H-BOMB (the first time it was ever shown to the public) was originally designed as a promotional giveaway of survival and preparedness tips in case of an H-Bomb attack. All it did was cause ENDLESS NIGHTMARES for the children who read it! One of the most FRIGHTENING and TRUE stories of "WHAT IS TO COME" and it was produced for the U.S. GOVERNMENT under advisement of Federal and Civil Defense advisors, and the American Red Cross! Published by COMMERCIAL COMICS. Written by MALCOLM ATER. Art by JACK SPARLING.

This is NOT a story you would have wanted your kids to read back in 1955! IT'S SCARY! The story opens with a teacher showing her class a movie about the H-Bomb, and her students naturally think the bomb will WIPE OUT ENTIRE CITIES and that everyone will be KILLED! So she explains that they always must be prepared for survival and relates how in the past "No matter how powerful a weapon seemed at first, ways were always found to offset its effects and survive..." And she goes on to explain that "The best defense against the H-Bomb is a well-trained CIVIL DEFENSE."

A few days later a Civil Defense guy comes by to talk to the students. He tells them of OPERATION SKYWATCH, the goal of which is to have 24,000 observation posts around the country where any enemy aircraft can be seen or heard, telling them no city or town in the United States is out of reach of enemy bombers. (You want your kids to hear this?) He goes on to say how unprepared we were for PEARL HARBOR, and that if WW III came, enemy planes and missles would get through to AMERICAN TARGETS with LOSS OF LIFE and PROPERTY DAMAGE sure to be high! (Again, I don't know if I'd want this dude telling my children all this stuff!) He goes on to say that, "We Americans must get used to the threat of WAR AS A NEW WAY OF LIFE."

Finally the guy tells everyone what they can do to help prepare for Civil Defense; the jobs for boys, the jobs for girls, jobs for mothers and jobs for fathers. Everyone gets involved! He says that every family within a 15-mile target area should have a shelter, preferably an underground concrete shelter in the yard. He further suggests everyone learn how to give first aid, because if there is an attack there wil be HEAVY CASUALTIES! But the good news is that if there is a warning of attack, it is important to KEEP CALM!

938068-TheH-BombandYou.jpg.2de38de5479ae3a978bdc0b20b89816f.jpg