• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ACETATE TRANSPARENCIES

32 posts in this topic

Ugh. I actually purchased one of these stupid things from leadpink a few years ago. Only $20 though. Still, could have used it towards something REAL!

I was at Marvel in the late 80s. At the time, color guides were done on xerox copies, and then, if I recall, they would come back in color on acetate. Don't recall ever seeing black and white acetates.

Down in the morgue, there were a bunch of rolls of stats of complete back issues.

Now at Harvey Comics, the back issues were all kept as four-color separations (R, B, Y, line) on acetate, and I'm sure some of those were from the '60s.

Thank you, internet.

Irene Vartanoff just confirmed that Marvel never used acetates in the silver age. These things are all fakes.

However: someone wiser than I looked at the bidding histories of one of these ridiculous auctions and suggests that the bidding might be as bogus as the items in question.

Glen

Is there a post to this somewhere or an email confirming this. Just interested is all. I'm with the majority on these kinds of auctions, wouldn't touch them. I believe there is a thread already about that particular eBayer "leadpink" who has been at this for a long long time.

Hand painted colour guides however are sometimes a way of getting a consolation prize when it comes to expensive pieces where the original pages are concerned. They can also have interesting notes or additional alterations on them but quite often just get scribbled on with the colourist's or printer's notations.

I personally don't usually go for them, but did get my first one ever this week. Blue line stat V for Vendetta page watercoloured by Steve Whitaker which funnily enough comes with the production acetate. It was originally sold at the Comic Showcase in London in or around 1990 before I bought it from the owner. The numbering and method looks the same as the others on CAF and Steve was someone who attended Comic Showcase. Apart from that the seller also had an original cover for sale and an original page in his listings. It was interesting enough for me to bite given a little research and it had to be at the right price (a "fun" purchase price which wouldn't have gotten me close to anything else I wanted). Better than a poster IMHO.

I recall passing on several complete books of Preacher colour guides done by Pamela Rambo. Again not usually everyone's cup of tea but to break even on splitting them up (and holding a couple back) would have only meant selling them at ten bucks a piece. Kinda regret not having the funds at the time as I think those would have paid for themselves with a bit of time and effort.

Personally though I think the majority of colour guides listed have a silly / greedy price tag on them and don't encourage purchases. I find some of them interesting, especially if they are mostly clear of production notes but in the majority the price / shipping kills it for me.

I remember seeing those V For Vendetta pieces in Comic Showcase.

:o

Do you remember who exactly was selling them? Would love to know.

Watercolour on blue line stat

Watercolour with overlay

Sorry, no. I remember seeing the V For Vendattas, but they were outside my sphere of interest. Paul Hudson was managing the shop at the time (late 1980s/early 1990s were the times of my visits . . . I don't live in London, so my trips were ocassional). I was mostly picking up Silver Age Marvel pages (very cheap).

Thank you, internet.

Irene Vartanoff just confirmed that Marvel never used acetates in the silver age. These things are all fakes.

However: someone wiser than I looked at the bidding histories of one of these ridiculous auctions and suggests that the bidding might be as bogus as the items in question.

Glen

Is there a post to this somewhere or an email confirming this. Just interested is all. I'm with the majority on these kinds of auctions, wouldn't touch them. I believe there is a thread already about that particular eBayer "leadpink" who has been at this for a long long time.

Hand painted colour guides however are sometimes a way of getting a consolation prize when it comes to expensive pieces where the original pages are concerned. They can also have interesting notes or additional alterations on them but quite often just get scribbled on with the colourist's or printer's notations.

I personally don't usually go for them, but did get my first one ever this week. Blue line stat V for Vendetta page watercoloured by Steve Whitaker which funnily enough comes with the production acetate. It was originally sold at the Comic Showcase in London in or around 1990 before I bought it from the owner. The numbering and method looks the same as the others on CAF and Steve was someone who attended Comic Showcase. Apart from that the seller also had an original cover for sale and an original page in his listings. It was interesting enough for me to bite given a little research and it had to be at the right price (a "fun" purchase price which wouldn't have gotten me close to anything else I wanted). Better than a poster IMHO.

I recall passing on several complete books of Preacher colour guides done by Pamela Rambo. Again not usually everyone's cup of tea but to break even on splitting them up (and holding a couple back) would have only meant selling them at ten bucks a piece. Kinda regret not having the funds at the time as I think those would have paid for themselves with a bit of time and effort.

Personally though I think the majority of colour guides listed have a silly / greedy price tag on them and don't encourage purchases. I find some of them interesting, especially if they are mostly clear of production notes but in the majority the price / shipping kills it for me.

I remember seeing those V For Vendetta pieces in Comic Showcase.

:o

Do you remember who exactly was selling them? Would love to know.

Watercolour on blue line stat

Watercolour with overlay

Sorry, no. I remember seeing the V For Vendattas, but they were outside my sphere of interest. Paul Hudson was managing the shop at the time (late 1980s/early 1990s were the times of my visits . . . I don't live in London, so my trips were ocassional). I was mostly picking up Silver Age Marvel pages (very cheap).

Thanks for the response Terry. :foryou:

I know this is an old topic, but I recently came across these transparencies on eBay. I ended up getting a couple inexpensive ones, to hang as wall art. I was curious about the history of these, so I asked the seller (apollp5555). Below is the seller's response.

"Photostats and transparencies was created shipped for overseas publishers to they do their own version of the book in foreigner language.

They used cut the text and replace for the foreigner one.

Marvel and DC used ship big packages with covers and story pages plus the 3 sheets of color guide for each pages .

If travel around the world to visit former publisher of these titles you may be able to get this stuff.

I got a huge collection from EBAL EDITORA BRASIL AMERICA LTDA EBAL PUBLISHING - there are a lot stuff in Portuguese.

Today the material is all digital."

I don't have any idea how many of each were made, but they at least seem to be legitimately made by Marvel/DC (at least from this seller).

Does anyone know cgc's opinion on these or where to find real knowledgeable information on these?

I have a few, didn't pay much but thinking of selling as I have ones that I think would fetch good money as I saw the ff#2 link above. If that one sold for that amount I'm sure my Ms #5 cover would go pretty high.

Thanks in advance

On 12/6/2019 at 8:08 AM, bigford_79 said:

Does anyone know cgc's opinion on these or where to find real knowledgeable information on these?

I have a few, didn't pay much but thinking of selling as I have ones that I think would fetch good money as I saw the ff#2 link above. If that one sold for that amount I'm sure my Ms #5 cover would go pretty high.

Thanks in advance

These people are all real knowledgable on these. They are trash. 99% of them have never been used in any printing process and vintage printing processes did not use transparencies other than CMYK flap proofs, and those were not made to be archival, so most would have been tossed or faded by now. If they fetch "good money" anywhere, it's only because they found 2 people gullible enough to bid them up.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:08 PM, bigford_79 said:

Thanks in advance

:roflmao:

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, bigford_79 said:

Thanks in advance

:(

Sorry... but if it is originally from one of the many ebay sellers dealing with these in bulk (or via someone who bought from them) I doubt anyone here will be interested. More to the point the pieces being sold on ebay are knock off copies run off yesterday with someone that has a photoshop and a printer.

When it comes to being knowledgeable the comments on here are usually based partly on what real vintage production art of a period looks like and common sense. I have read comments on conversation about printing process from editors but on the whole they were fleeting and about when certain processes started/stopped. I can only assume that most fans with the opportunity to talk shop with someone involved in comics production are not going to bring these up.

Just stop and think about it for a moment...

The people selling these in the vast majority don't ever have any variety in the kinds of materials used in their items that range from stuff published in the 60's to around 2009. Really old vintage stats/production pages looked nothing like what they offer and the only way to explain that away would possibly be that they are selling stuff produced in reprints. I have seen such sellers offer real vintage stats before but over time they have just stopped trying, from their perspective what's the point once you are established.

508936019_Example1.png.ca8a755ec5e7134d420e5208f381e069.png

Have a look here for examples of what old production stuff looks like https://www.anthonyscomicbookart.com/artistgalleryroom.asp?artistid=1968 … and even if it is a dealer or an auction house like ha.com it doesn't mean you should automatically trust what is on offer, do more research (Disclaimer: Anthony is a reputable dealer).

However, back to these denizens of ebay… they have a catalogue that spans the entire spectrum of comics, literally everything. There are no limitations based on publishing house, geography, etc on what they can obtain. They would have to be someone who was involved in the printing process, someone who just so happened to have access to somewhere that was used by everyone who ever produced comics at the same time for the last 50 years.

They never really offer any "filler" items. Alllll killer...….

682271768_Example2.png.1831a3bde7fb5d9e8584cfcc1eb56fa0.png

All of what is on offer is crisp and clean and from what I have seen that's actually quite a big no for "production used" material when you are dealing with it in bulk. There should be annotations, numbering, names, crumpled or torn pages, coffee stains, scratches, noise/grain on the transparencies... signs of life from production or a previous owner. There are cases where it isn't there but without it there isn't really a story to be had.

1759983441_Example4.png.f04242ab44287237c33782ff83d990ec.png

1603511625_Example3.png.fb54f939add921e9297b2a89f400f840.png

865776764_Example5.thumb.png.5f205e5334ee5731671ffe7c28b0fff2.png

There are production pieces out there that are worth having IMHO... they are not everyone's cup of tea but they have an appeal as a special interest, something cheap and fun to own, they might have something cool in the margins or perhaps they might just be a consolation prize because the cost of the original is other worldly. I just would not go looking for them on ebay unless I already knew exactly what I was looking for or I know the seller.

2c