• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ACETATE TRANSPARENCIES

32 posts in this topic

Its also easy to fake, so even if they were worth something, some people are suspected of just creating new ones via a photocopier so that taints them all

Malvin

Yeah, the market now appears to be flooded by fakes, so I'd certainly give them a miss.

In cases like this I'd ask the seller for provenance that it was actually used in the printing process of the original comic book. Anyone can scan and print an acetate version of a cover or page if they have the right materials and hardware.

:sorry:

That sucks, I'm a big fan of Black Adam and try to get whatever I can find. I just started looking for OA and scooped this one up.

Shazam

Are there ways to determine a fake from the real thing?

Me, I wouldn't know how to go about doing it. Would be extremely difficult to determine, I'd guess.

Is collecting OA not an option for you or are these acetates (of questionable authenticity) really your thing?

just stay away from that stuff its pure garbage. if you want real production art then just get a stat of the art.. leave the transparencies. stuff alone. it not worth the material it printed on. .

Edited by desertdogg2006

I think this might be the most ridiculous rip off I've seen in this venue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-Kirby-Fantastic-Four-2-Rare-Production-Art-Pg-21-/271486588061

What did he think he was getting? A stat used to make FF 2? I'm fairly sure he just paid $900 for nothing.

For people wondering how to tell if a transparency is "real" or not -- that question is the wrong one to be asking. Unless someone more familiar with 1960s printing processes can tell me otherwise, I don't think there were transparencies in the silver age. There were stats and silver prints and color guides and color separations, but this flood of transparencies only started with the reprint books and trade pb collections, as far as I can tell. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Glen

I don't know if transparencies were ever made, don't think so, but certainly there would be no reason to separate the text out of the word balloons after painstakingly lettering them INTO the word balloons. Text was printed on the black line plate along with the art.

This is absolutely 900 bucks down the toilet...

Thank you, internet.

Irene Vartanoff just confirmed that Marvel never used acetates in the silver age. These things are all fakes.

However: someone wiser than I looked at the bidding histories of one of these ridiculous auctions and suggests that the bidding might be as bogus as the items in question.

Glen

Thanks for the detective work, Glen!

I wouldn't doubt it about the bidding. These descriptions appear very carefully worded with an intent to imply that these were used in the production of the book without actually saying they were used in the original book's production. So many red flags, but it's clear that the uninitiated and uninformed might be persuaded to buy them.

Thank you, internet.

Irene Vartanoff just confirmed that Marvel never used acetates in the silver age. These things are all fakes.

However: someone wiser than I looked at the bidding histories of one of these ridiculous auctions and suggests that the bidding might be as bogus as the items in question.

Glen

Thank you, internet.

Glen

Is there a post to this somewhere or an email confirming this. Just interested is all. I'm with the majority on these kinds of auctions, wouldn't touch them. I believe there is a thread already about that particular eBayer "leadpink" who has been at this for a long long time.

Hand painted colour guides however are sometimes a way of getting a consolation prize when it comes to expensive pieces where the original pages are concerned. They can also have interesting notes or additional alterations on them but quite often just get scribbled on with the colourist's or printer's notations.

I personally don't usually go for them, but did get my first one ever this week. Blue line stat V for Vendetta page watercoloured by Steve Whitaker which funnily enough comes with the production acetate. It was originally sold at the Comic Showcase in London in or around 1990 before I bought it from the owner. The numbering and method looks the same as the others on CAF and Steve was someone who attended Comic Showcase. Apart from that the seller also had an original cover for sale and an original page in his listings. It was interesting enough for me to bite given a little research and it had to be at the right price (a "fun" purchase price which wouldn't have gotten me close to anything else I wanted). Better than a poster IMHO.

I recall passing on several complete books of Preacher colour guides done by Pamela Rambo. Again not usually everyone's cup of tea but to break even on splitting them up (and holding a couple back) would have only meant selling them at ten bucks a piece. Kinda regret not having the funds at the time as I think those would have paid for themselves with a bit of time and effort.

Personally though I think the majority of colour guides listed have a silly / greedy price tag on them and don't encourage purchases. I find some of them interesting, especially if they are mostly clear of production notes but in the majority the price / shipping kills it for me.

Thank you, internet.

Glen

Is there a post to this somewhere or an email confirming this. Just interested is all. I'm with the majority on these kinds of auctions, wouldn't touch them. I believe there is a thread already about that particular eBayer "leadpink" who has been at this for a long long time.

Hand painted colour guides however are sometimes a way of getting a consolation prize when it comes to expensive pieces where the original pages are concerned. They can also have interesting notes or additional alterations on them but quite often just get scribbled on with the colourist's or printer's notations.

I personally don't usually go for them, but did get my first one ever this week. Blue line stat V for Vendetta page watercoloured by Steve Whitaker which funnily enough comes with the production acetate. It was originally sold at the Comic Showcase in London in or around 1990 before I bought it from the owner. The numbering and method looks the same as the others on CAF and Steve was someone who attended Comic Showcase. Apart from that the seller also had an original cover for sale and an original page in his listings. It was interesting enough for me to bite given a little research and it had to be at the right price (a "fun" purchase price which wouldn't have gotten me close to anything else I wanted). Better than a poster IMHO.

I recall passing on several complete books of Preacher colour guides done by Pamela Rambo. Again not usually everyone's cup of tea but to break even on splitting them up (and holding a couple back) would have only meant selling them at ten bucks a piece. Kinda regret not having the funds at the time as I think those would have paid for themselves with a bit of time and effort.

Personally though I think the majority of colour guides listed have a silly / greedy price tag on them and don't encourage purchases. I find some of them interesting, especially if they are mostly clear of production notes but in the majority the price / shipping kills it for me.

Hand-colored color guides are a completely different animal and in fact ARE a unique one of a kind part of the actual comic book production process. I'm a big fan of color guides and own quite a few.

Let's face it, colorists get no love, but in fact the coloring of the comic is so crucial to the final product!

Some of them are expensive, but I think they are very under-appreciated pieces of art. Being in the publishing biz myself, I probably have a high level of appreciation for all the steps in the process.

Of course, a comic's original art is the shiznit, but I loves me some color guides too :cloud9:

Edited by Sharkey

Thank you, internet.

Glen

Hand-colored color guides are a completely different animal and in fact ARE a unique one of a kind part of the actual comic book production process. I'm a big fan of color guides and own quite a few.

Let's face it, colorists get no love, but in fact the coloring of the comic is so crucial to the final product!

Some of them are expensive, but I think they are very under-appreciated pieces of art. Being in the publishing biz myself, I probably have a high level of appreciation for all the steps in the process.

Of course, a comic's original art is the shiznit, but I loves me some color guides too :cloud9:

(thumbs u

I agree they are under appreciated, and regarding my recent purchase I am quite glad of this. I paddle in very shallow OA waters compared to most of the contributors here so it doesn't take much for a colour guide to cross a line where it doesn't stack up against other stuff I like dollar for dollar. There are still quite a few fun pages out there or auctions at a low asking price, or even tight prelims. One guide is neither here nor there but make it 3 or 4 or more then it adds up quick.

My eye keeps returning to some that have been available for a long time but I have never pulled the trigger until yesterday.

:)

Thank you, internet.

Glen

I remember seeing those V For Vendetta pieces in Comic Showcase.

Thank you, internet.

Glen

I remember seeing those V For Vendetta pieces in Comic Showcase.

:o

Do you remember who exactly was selling them? Would love to know.

Watercolour on blue line stat

Watercolour with overlay