• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Tim Holt #30 inspire the Zodiac Killer?
6 6

135 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

You have my permission to bid higher next time.  Shoot for the moon! (:

There is only so much I will pay for stuff any more. I bid way more than I should. Was kind of glad I was out bid. It's the kind of book that will turn up later at a reasonable price if you've got patience. I may not be loaded with cash, but I'm overloaded with patience...:roflmao:

20 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have found that to collect GA these days, you have to have one or the other...

So true.  At least so many sources now compared to the mail order days.  I wasn't able to travel to conventions either.  I look back at Verzyl's Comic Heaven Auction and Wooley's and grabbed up books from those but of course back then, dollars were short and I was just getting my GA feet wet then so had a lot to learn.  There was both excitement and fear when I ordered something sight unseen.  I got Daniel Dupcaked once ordering from a TBG ad.

Ah, the TBG days. All you needed was a stamp and an envelope. Problem for me was I lived on the West Coast. By the time I got my copy, everything I wanted was usually sold...:sorry:

And whenever I typed up an ad and sent  it in, my phone would ring at 4:00 AM. Man, my mom got pizzed! 

3 hours ago, telerites said:

Not too shabby a result - I bid but got blown up.  Anyone here get it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-COMIC-TIM-HOLT-RKO-WESTERN-STAR-30-Grd-3-1952-MAGAZINE-ENTERPRI-NR/143240763020

WOW! Nice climb up from the sale result posted earlier in the year. 

Just realized i have not posted my copy in the Thread yet. Time to correct that! :)

Tim Holt #30.jpg

Edited by sagii

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Not too shabby a result

I'd say more like a phenomenal result considering it looks like a 3.5 or so.  I wonder how surprised the seller is at the result? He likely had no idea what makes the book special as he didn't even advertise it in the listing.  

4 minutes ago, szav said:

I'd say more like a phenomenal result considering it looks like a 3.5 or so.  I wonder how surprised the seller is at the result? He likely had no idea what makes the book special as he didn't even advertise it in the listing.  

When it was first listed, he hadn't posted CF or BC pics so I messaged him.  He had forgotten and did post them.  His response was gracious.  He's not a comic novice looking at some of his sold items but yeah, I doubt he knows the connection.  I always wonder if a seller may be a boardie - I doubt it here.  Never dreamed it would go that high.  

It would have been a weird coincidence if it hammered at $6 more for a total of $666 considering....

1 hour ago, szav said:

In the early days of ebay I ended up winning a lot of "three old romance comics" with no further description and a single photo. One of the three was a copy of Giant Comics Edition #12 (Diary Secrets). It was just me and a dealer bidding, and I ended up paying $1000 for the lot. The seller was ecstatic, and couldn't believe what the books sold for. 

3 hours ago, telerites said:

Not too shabby a result - I bid but got blown up.  Anyone here get it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-COMIC-TIM-HOLT-RKO-WESTERN-STAR-30-Grd-3-1952-MAGAZINE-ENTERPRI-NR/143240763020

"private listing - bidders' identities protected"  :eek: 

I'm looking out for this issue and had forgotten about the Zodiac thing until seeing this thread again. I just think it's kind of a cool cover.

44 minutes ago, Point Five said:

"private listing - bidders' identities protected"  :eek: 

I'm looking out for this issue and had forgotten about the Zodiac thing until seeing this thread again. I just think it's kind of a cool cover.

Yes she is a cool cover :blush:

4 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Was one of the bidders, like most was surprised at the final hammer price

I was surprised too; not quite as nice as the one that went for $355 a few months earlier, at least from what I could tell comparing pix of both. But it had blown past the previous copy price before I could put a bid in.