• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Tim Holt #30 inspire the Zodiac Killer?
7 7

137 posts in this topic

Not sure if anyone else commented on this, but it's crazy to me that the ZodiacKiller discussion board link in the first post of this thread is STILL an ongoing topic on that site with over 250 replies!  I just skimmed parts of it and it seemed like some people were going a little (way) overboard trying to connect this book & Red Ryder comics from the 1940's etc to the killer.  It wouldn't surprise me if someone from that Zodiac site won the book.

21 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

Not sure if anyone else commented on this, but it's crazy to me that the ZodiacKiller discussion board link in the first post of this thread is STILL an ongoing topic on that site with over 250 replies!  I just skimmed parts of it and it seemed like some people were going a little (way) overboard trying to connect this book & Red Ryder comics from the 1940's etc to the killer.  It wouldn't surprise me if someone from that Zodiac site won the book.

I dunno the connection with this book at least seems beyond coincidental...by knife, by rope, by gun, by fire...and the red mask on the skeleton on the card...

If the OPG ever recognizes Tim Holt 30 with a  citation it'll be interesting to see how they phrase it.  It's probably several years away if ever, they're pretty slow to respond to market trends on oddball books like this.

39 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

Comics cause crime.  Are you doubting Dr. Wertham? :ohnoez:

It's pretty much official...someone that has some pull with the people at OPG needs to ask for this book to get a citation...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIM-HOLT-30-NOTORIOUS-ZODIAC-ISSUE-GD-GGA-BONDAGE-COVER-SCARCE-/333231886145?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l44720.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

9 hours ago, szav said:

It's pretty much official...someone that has some pull with the people at OPG needs to ask for this book to get a citation...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIM-HOLT-30-NOTORIOUS-ZODIAC-ISSUE-GD-GGA-BONDAGE-COVER-SCARCE-/333231886145?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l44720.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

@sagii that was your book, right, Corey?

I bid on it even though I have a copy lol  Hopefully, you were happy with the result.  I think you conservative on the grade.  

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I bid on it even though I have a copy lol  Hopefully, you were happy with the result.  I think you conservative on the grade.  

I agree @sagii was conservative on grade; nice price but he would have done better if I hadn't zonked out and missed the listing last night! doh!

Corey, if the buyer flakes and doesn't pay (I doubt it on a $350 GA western; it's probably another boardie) but sometimes it happens on eBay, please PM me. You're close enough for an in-person transaction.  :tink:

Edited by Readcomix
Clarification

10 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I agree @sagii was conservative on grade; nice price but he would have done better if I hadn't zonked out and missed the listing last night! doh!

Corey, if the buyer flakes and doesn't pay (I doubt it on a $350 GA western; it's probably another boardie) but sometimes it happens on eBay, please PM me. You're close enough for an in-person transaction.  :tink:

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Yep! I got a PM from @szav also when it went live that he felt I was conservative on the grade, and in hindsight I probably was :facepalm: was just being careful as it is a trending book. Probably didn't help that a higher graded copy was being auctioned off at the same time.

But all in all, got waaay more than I paid for it, so that's a win! Some good stuff on deck at the auction houses so building a little war chest :devil:

And @Readcomix you got it buddy!

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, szav said:

This one really surprised me.  I think some of it is the seller.  Peter has a lot of followers and is a very seller.  I watch his auctions myself.  I also think @sagii Corey's book that sold the day before inspired underbidders to latch on and go heavy on it as I think Corey's book may have been undergraded and closer to this grade.  I also never discount the power of the boards to influence bidding.  I knew nothing about this book until seeing it here and luckily have since acquired a copy.

But still never thought it would hit where it did.  I was two bills off where I though it would land.  It will be interesting to see what else comes out now.

Curious if anyone has listened to that new podcast I mentioned in this thread about the Zodiac killer - perhaps the book is mentioned in an intro or something...

11 hours ago, szav said:

And already two new listings.

18 minutes ago, szav said:

And yet, somehow, overpriced even by the ridiculous standard set by this weekends two auctions.  These 2 will sit unsold forever...ahh ebay.

At least one copy sold for an aggressive amount prior to the two this weekend. Still a recent phenomenon though. Probably less than a year. 

I’ve always liked that cover but if the connection is true it makes it a bit to creepy for me to want to keep one in my collection. Not a fan of serial killer items. :fear:

12 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I’ve always liked that cover but if the connection is true it makes it a bit to creepy for me to want to keep one in my collection. Not a fan of serial killer items. :fear:

+1

14 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I tend to think the Zodiac killer angle was construed in some backroom blog.  I actually wasn't even aware of the supposed connection or of the book having a desirable cover.  The cover is what makes it for me with or without the creepiness.  

2 hours ago, telerites said:

I tend to think the Zodiac killer angle was construed in some backroom blog.  I actually wasn't even aware of the supposed connection or of the book having a desirable cover.  The cover is what makes it for me with or without the creepiness.  

..For comparison, i used to skip (past) the song 'Helter Skelter' on the Album/CD for years because of the Manson angle, finding it creepy. Then one day I rationalized that the Beatles didn't make it for Manson, he just interpreted other meanings to it in his warped mind and latched onto the song. 

Same thing with the comic when it was being produced

But ironically, when i was going through a list of books to sell (and how or why i could 'live' without something)the Zodiac connection is what ultimately made me part with the book lol

..go figure (:

Edited by sagii