• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Tim Holt #30 inspire the Zodiac Killer?
6 6

135 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

..For comparison, i used to skip (past) the song 'Helter Skelter' on the Album/CD for years because of the Manson angle, finding it creepy. Then one day day I rationalized that the Beatles didn't make it for Manson, he just interpreted other meanings to it in his warped mind and latched onto the song. 

Same thing with the comic when it was being produced

But ironically, when i was going through a list of books to sell (and how or why i could 'live' without something)the Zodiac connection is what ultimately made me part with the book lol

..go figure (:

Good points, Corey. 

Yeah, I would not buy things owned, written or directly connected to a serial killer or items connection with Nazis/Hitler, KKK, etc. I see these items in auctions and for sale - to each his own for collecting such items and I don't negatively judge them for doing so but this comic was produced independently of the serial killer.  Like I said, I would still want a copy of this book after seeing the cover if the Zodiac angle was not present.

35 minutes ago, telerites said:

I tend to think the Zodiac killer angle was construed in some backroom blog.  I actually wasn't even aware of the supposed connection or of the book having a desirable cover.  The cover is what makes it for me with or without the creepiness.  

+1 (thumbsu

I think the GGA cover is way cool and will eventually enjoy owning one. The Zodiac angle does nothing for me.

1 hour ago, sagii said:

..For comparison, i used to skip (past) the song 'Helter Skelter' on the Album/CD for years because of the Manson angle, finding it creepy. Then one day day I rationalized that the Beatles didn't make it for Manson, he just interpreted other meanings to it in his warped mind and latched onto the song. 

Same thing with the comic when it was being produced

But ironically, when i was going through a list of books to sell (and how or why i could 'live' without something)the Zodiac connection is what ultimately made me part with the book lol

..go figure (:

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Good points, Corey. 

Yeah, I would not buy things owned, written or directly connected to a serial killer or items connection with Nazis/Hitler, KKK, etc. I see these items in auctions and for sale - to each his own for collecting such items and I don't negatively judge them for doing so but this comic was produced independently of the serial killer.  Like I said, I would still want a copy of this book after seeing the cover if the Zodiac angle was not present.

It’s a personal choice. Not judging anyone.

Helter Skelter is a good example for me. I’m a Beatles fan, like that song but can’t disconnect it from the Manson Murders. It’s tied to tightly to them now thanks to the media coverage. 

I’m just one of those people who are realistically aware of how brutal human beings can be but don’t like to be reminded about it in entertainment.

Kind of annoying that things I might like on their own merits get spoiled by other things. Anyway not a western collector but it is one of the better looking covers out there with or without the serial killer connection.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The Green River SA collection has a similar connotation to me. I don’t own any...

Interesting. I own the GR X-Men 1 and the connotation doesn't bother me quite as much since the OO was innocent of the crimes. More of an oddball footnote than a 1:1 connection to the killer. Plus I like the datestamps. :)

9 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Helter Skelter is a good example for me. I’m a Beatles fan, like that song but can’t disconnect it from the Manson Murders. It’s tied to tightly to them now thanks to the media coverage. 

I’m just one of those people who are realistically aware of how brutal human beings can be but don’t like to be reminded about it in entertainment.

Kind of annoying that things I might like on their own merits get spoiled by other things. Anyway not a western collector but it is one of the better looking covers out there with or without the serial killer connection.

Cool beans! Didn't take it as a judgment, (ironically i wanted to quote you, but thought you'd think I was judging you lol )

Crazy how today's climate has most of us on edge to opine on a subject. 

...and yes, i still can't think of or hear that song and not think of Manson. :$

40 minutes ago, october said:

Interesting. I own the GR X-Men 1 and the connotation doesn't bother me quite as much since the OO was innocent of the crimes. More of an oddball footnote than a 1:1 connection to the killer. Plus I like the datestamps. :)

I actually just saw a piece on this case on cable a few years ago. I was only interested due to the comic collection connection. His brother still thought he was connected to some of those murders as well as others who were involved in the case. So I guess you could call the case solved by some with doubt in others. It sure was a lot of bodies. 

Edited by N e r V

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Totally understand and hope you didn't think I was being dismissive or disparaging of you or your preferences in any way.  I truly did not mean it to come across that way if that is what it appeared to be. :foryou:

4 hours ago, Point Five said:

+1 (thumbsu

I think the GGA cover is way cool and will eventually enjoy owning one. The Zodiac angle does nothing for me.

Here you go, Jon sony_emoji_b.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZODIAC-KILLER-LORE-TIM-HOLT-30-1952-MAGAZINE-ENTERPRISES-SERIAL-KILLER/254265897612?hash=item3b336db28c:g:imAAAOSwo4VdBmXR 

Edited by telerites

8 hours ago, telerites said:

Good points, Corey. 

I like this particular book. The GGA is awsome, the horror conotation is wild. The Zodiac angle doesn't even figure into the equation as why I would like to have one. But, due to the hype, I will probably have to "get lucky" now.

Edited by Robot Man

3 hours ago, telerites said:

Whew, tough to keep up with this market. By noon tomorrow this will be a $3K book in grade and I'll kick myself forever for passing at $750.  :D

Its a great cover in and of itself, but I'll just have to disagree that the Zodiac connection doesn't add to its value.  The fact that this book could serve as a clue for and one day play a part in solving one of our nations most famous unsolved string of crimes is pretty damn cool.

I say this as someone who agrees that our society is a way too enamored with serial killers and murderers.  Don't care for movies like Natural Born Killers or No Country for Old Men, don't even like or want comics that depict beheadings, drownings, or are otherwise grotesque for the sake of shock value.

I don't equate owning this book to buying a painting by John Wayne Gacy...its more like having a symbol of the great lengths people will go to solve crimes and bring killers to justice.  I just find it mind blowing that anyone was even able to connect the dots on this one, or had the dedication to do so...that's what makes it collectible to me.  But to each their own etc!

23 hours ago, telerites said:

You know I need to recant some of this post.  I mentioned that I would buy Hitler or Nai connected items thinking of military collectibles but since I collect WWII era comics, I have many Hitler covers and wildly fiendish depictions of Nazis and Japanese soldiers.  When you think about the deaths associated with that war and the holocaust with a leader trying to commit genocide, it does give me pause to think that I forget about the actual events when I am looking at a funny book.  While these are actual event and the Holt is supposedly connected to a serial killer, both make me reflect.  

Still not trying to disparage one's opinions, perceptions, or feelings but when you consider a book with Hitler on/in it that may be in your collection, I now think more about the loss of life during the conflict and not just a comic collectible.  

WW 2 covers reflect the horrors happening in the world at the time. The Tim Holt on the other hand is just a random comic that might have some connection to one case. 

One type sums up a period in history, the other is a unique - if totally unsubstantiated - bit of trivia.

By the way, who the heck first noticed this possible connection - a comics fan?

33 minutes ago, Arkadin said:

By the way, who the heck first noticed this possible connection - a comics fan?

I don't recall any background on the person that first came up with the idea.  I provided a link earlier in the thread to where the comic is referenced as part of a general exploration of the possible suspects and linkage to the comic.  I last looked into this years ago and it seemed like this was an effort by amateur sleuths who investigate these old, odd cases.

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

I don't recall any background on the person that first came up with the idea.  I provided a link earlier in the thread to where the comic is referenced as part of a general exploration of the possible suspects and linkage to the comic.  I last looked into this years ago and it seemed like this was an effort by amateur sleuths who investigate these old, odd cases.

Did he have a box of Tim Holt 30s he was preparing to sell?

:nyah: