• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Tim Holt #30 inspire the Zodiac Killer?
7 7

137 posts in this topic

Not quite $700 for a 1.0 but still a solid finish for a 3.0.  Interesting to see the CLink description mention  the theoretical Zodiac link.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FALLSUB.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D1052%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26pg%3D24%23Item_1421675&id=1421675&itemType=0

3 hours ago, szav said:

Not quite $700 for a 1.0 but still a solid finish for a 3.0.  Interesting to see the CLink description mention  the theoretical Zodiac link.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FALLSUB.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D1052%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26pg%3D24%23Item_1421675&id=1421675&itemType=0

It didn't originally. Added later.

On 5/31/2014 at 9:05 PM, adamstrange said:

One man believes his father was the killer and that the comic is actually further evidence to that. I have no idea of the reliability of this author or the online community that seems to be trying to determine the identity of Zodiac.

http://stevehodel.com/2014/05/new-zodiac-halloween-card-link-examines-zero-degrees-separation-george-hodel/

Link to book excerpt

http://stevehodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/BDA-II-by-rope-by-gun-by-knife-by-fire.pdf

He also believes his father was the Black Dahlia Killer as well as a handful of other murders around the globe ???

On 9/16/2020 at 8:28 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Last sale of this ish on the bay was couple days ago, VG copy for $287.

Compare that "VG" with the VG- graded copy that sold for over $1,000.  I doubt blissard's VG would even get a 3.0 by CGC, especially a trimmed copy like that. 

I guess I better start looking for this book at garage sales...:roflmao:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

Looks like the last zodiac message was finally cracked.

I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING LOTS OF FUN IN TRYING TO CATCH ME THAT WASNT ME ON THE TV SHOW WHICH BRINGS UP A POINT ABOUT ME I AM NOT AFRAID OF THE GAS CHAMBER BECAUSE IT WILL SEND ME TO PARADICE ALL THE SOONER BECAUSE I NOW HAVE ENOUGH SLAVES TO WORK FOR ME WHERE EVERYONE ELSE HAS NOTHING WHEN THEY REACH PARADICE SO THEY ARE AFRAID OF DEATH I AM NOT AFRAID BECAUSE I KNOW THAT MY NEW LIFE IS LIFE WILL BE AN EASY ONE IN PARADICE DEATH

Crazy that they solved it after all these years...so I hadn't looked at GPA on this one in a few months, but its gone bananas for sure.  I'm surprised there's still only 9 slabbed copies, maybe there's just not enough awareness or it needs an OPG break out and citation of some sort.  Does anyone know if there's any reason to believe this issue would be less common than the rest of the run?  Looks like for the other Tim Holt keys #11 and #17 there's 43 and 51 slabbed copies respectively.  

image.thumb.png.5b0e75e2ac39d7cf287bc9247ff64913.png

Probably still need a little more time for the market to motivate more sellers. 

15 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Probably still need a little more time for the market to motivate more sellers. 

No doubt.  It is interesting to observe the census and GPA on a rising GA book like this as it gains status, where its basically only low grade copies getting slabbed and sold.

Are there many mid grade copies? are the people holding them waiting to see more on GPA before risking selling in higher grade?  Do the majority of people holding them not even know they have it...

Traditionally we see the opposite where its high grade higher value copies of books getting slabbed first.

Edited by szav

An example of a similar book is Mystery Tales 40 which the TV series made famous.  That now has 49 copies, but only 3 are better than 6.0.

Yep that's a perfect example...I never knew that book existed till just now because I never watched Lost hah. 

Looks like perhaps a good cautionary tale too because the GPA values on that dropped quite a bit after the show ended.

7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Lost was a lot of bs. The Zodiac killer is real.

Lost wasn't a bad show. (I watched on DVD years after it ended, so I never got caught up in the hype.)

I'm not convinced that the Tim Holt comic inspired the Zodiac. It isn't impossible, but there would be no way to prove it.