• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Guidelines, Helpful Hints and General Etiquette
3 3

84 posts in this topic

If I might add to the last comment, if anyone has read any of the grading guides that is the exact terminology that is used therein. So further in the vein of recent polls I have seen requesting grader notes by many from CGC it would help people to familiarize themselves with these abbreviations. So while it might be overwhelming to some I would vote to see it kept in place.

This is an OPEN-FORUM thread, i.e., anyone can update the last revised set of guidelines.

Welcome to the PGM Forum

Here are some general guidelines for this thread. Remember that grading from a scan is not 100% reliable, but it is fun and interesting. Please contribute any suggestions you may have to these guidelines in this thread.

PGM = "Please Grade My"

GENERAL GUIDELINES

1. Please respect others while participating in the PGM Forum. Critique is valuable, but sometimes it can be over-the-line. Be conscious of what you post.

2. Please post only one (1) book per thread and a maximum of three (3) books per person per day.

3. You may provide a brief description of the book's condition and any hidden defects such as a loose or detached cover or centerfold, spine splits or tears, interior stains or tanning, popped staple, and any other defect that is not readily discernible from a scan.

4. Please provide adequate size scans or, at the very least, clear photos of the book you are submitting for grading. Good quality scans are superior to photos, but if you don't have access to a scanner, photos will do.

5. Post scans of both front and back cover at a minimum. Additional scans or photos of problem areas are often helpful.

6. It's your thread - do as you like. But the recommended size of the scan within the thread is 850x1200 pixels. Anything larger tends to drag out the screen dimensions of the thread. You can link to larger scans if you like, but direct links are better.

7. The recommended file type is .jpeg.

8. Most scanners have a neutral background, but you may want to place a colored backer board or paper behind your book prior to scanning. This may help to accentuate the edges of your book. Be sure that the backer board is not the same or similar color as the general colors of the front or back cover.

9. If you post your book in the PGM forum for grading and eventually send it into CGC for professional grading, it is suggested that you post the CGC results and if possible, an image of the slabbed book. Many here would like to see how well their grading skills match up to those at CGC.

TIPS ON SCANNING

• Don't crop the edges of your scans too tight to the book edges and corners.
  • Allow space around the perimeter of the book.
  • Many scanners have default settings to select the image on the scanner bed. It is suggested that you turn that feature off.

THIRD PARTY IMAGE HOSTING SITES

imageshack

photobucket

imgur

flickr

USEFUL ABBREVIATIONS USED TO DESCRIBE LOCATION OF DEFECTS

FC = Front Cover

LEFC = Left Edge Front Cover

REFC = Right Edge Front Cover

ULFC = Upper Left Front Cover

URFC = Upper Right Front Cover

LLFC = Lower Left Front Cover

LRFC = Lower Right Front Cover

BC = Back Cover

LEBC = Left Edge Back Cover

REBC = Right Edge Back Cover

ULBC = Upper Left Back Cover

URBC = Upper Right Back Cover

LLBC = Lower Left Back Cover

LRBC = Lower Right Back Cover

2. Please post only one (1) book per thread and a maximum of three (3) books per person per day.

(thumbs u

Who's the culprit now? I have not been on much. I've been busy working on a home made partical accelorator. :whee:

(thumbs u

Who's the culprit now? I have not been on much. I've been busy working on a home made partical accelorator. :whee:

:gossip:

Sorry to ask but what is the best way to get a response as not many people are looking or giving opinions on my comics and i really need the advice.

If there's a link to pics instead of scans in the thread, I move on. without giving a grade.

I can't work out how to post without doing links.

Tried the guide but can't do it.

That or a website like Imgur, if you don't already have your photos saved on some online account. Once done you can do two things

1. Scroll over the image and right click, and hit "copy image location" from there paste the link in your post, and put "" at the beginning of it, and "" at the end of it without the quote marks, then hit post. That should work 99% of the time.

2. Instead of doing the first which is the more manual way you can also do the auto way. On the site you save your photos to once you bring up a photo a list of different link formats should appear on the side. left click on the one labeled "BBCODE", which is used for message boards. If unsure the link will also have the "" like the first option at the beginning of it. After left clicking it you right click hit the copy option and paste it to your post (some sites automatically copy it after you left click it so you might not have to). You won" because the bbcode format will already have them. Hit post, and your done.

Keep in mind that some pictures can come out very big, and can be annoying to other boardies, so if they do it is considered polite to add a spoiler tag around it.

Hello

I posted my Walking dead comic and did not put the photo's in the post instead i did links.

As a result not many people replied.

I have now updated but cannot get anyone to look.

Can someone please tell me how to get people to consider looking at my book and grading it as i don't know what to do and my post is just being ignored.

nothing, happens to all of us. people drift in and out of the grading forums from time to time. some people enjoy grading silver or golden age, some like moderns. go get some sleep.

nothing, happens to all of us. people drift in and out of the grading forums from time to time. some people enjoy grading silver or golden age, some like moderns. go get some sleep.

This. :sumo:

Just wondering...is it ok to post photos/scans of books that I am considering purchasing from a third party. I have done this twice and the only problem I came across is that if the photos/scans are not reliable for grading purposes I cant produce additional photos/scans because it is not my book...but from now on I only plan to post good photos/scans that are sufficient. I will be sure indicate in my post that these are possible purchases and also to get as much information on the condition of the books, from the sellers, before posting.

Let me know. Thanks in advance