• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

90 posts in this topic

Didn't see this posted yet, so here it is.

Archie Comics announced yesterday the details of their upcoming spinoff from Afterlife with Archie. Titled Chilling Adventures of Sabrina in a nod to their classic Red Circle horror title Chilling Adventures in Sorcery from the early 1970's, the new book will be drawn by Robert Hack and written by Afterlife with Archie scribe Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa.

The series is set in the 1960's and tells the details of Sabrina's origin.

The first issue is set to come out in October

Hack's cover for #1 is a die-cut cover. The front shows a haunted house, but opens to reveal... what's haunting it, I guess.

Front:

sabrina1.jpg

Inside:

sabrina2.jpg

Francavilla variant:

sabrina3.jpg

Full story from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/06/02/sabrina-archie-comics-first-look/9727791/

Most interesting bit of the article to me is that this series will also feature, among other characters, Madam Satan. She's a Golden Age character whose strip in Pep Comics was cancelled to make room for a new strip called "Archie."

Her story is that, after discovering that her fiance's parents did not approve of her, she justified that disapproval by murdering them both in cold blood. She was then killed herself by her fiance. She went to hell and became a servant of Satan. Returning to Earth, she went on a mission to seduce men in order to steal their souls. She appears as a beautiful woman who happens to have a skull for a face when it is not being concealed through sorcery.

madam_s.jpg

Always love when interesting Golden Age characters get rescued from oblivion and put to good use.

I'm also very curious what they're going to do with Salem. I think Salem is more interesting than Sabrina as a character.

For those who aren't super familiar with Sabrina, Salem is her pet cat, who can talk. That's because he's not really a cat; once upon a time, he was an extremely powerful warlock. When he tried to basically take over the world, though, he was defeated and as his punishment, he was turned into a cat. This was like 300 years ago. He no longer has magic powers, on account of being a cat and therefore being unable to cast spells, but he has a ton of magic knowledge and acts as Sabrina's main friend and adviser.

But beneath that cuddly kitty exterior, when you think about it, he's essentially Voldemort. What if Voldemort was turned into an immortal cat? That's Salem. There's a lot they could do with that.

Edited by Crimebuster

I don't know how I feel about the art on this one. I enjoy the writing for AWA but its the art that really does it for me. I'm intrigued by the Sabrina storyline but I don't know if it'll become a regular for me given that Francavilla wont be involved with it. We shall see, can't judge a book by its cover.

Cover for second issue revealed. Very clear Afterlife with Archie design influence, as you might expect.

1369279_ful.jpg

There will also be a preview of Sabrina #1 in the Comic Con exclusive Afterlife with Archie #666 next week:

2q39mi9.jpg

I'm in.

(thumbs u

I`m in as well. Sabrina is a great character.

I have always thought that Sabrina was Archie Comics number 1 character in overall popularity with the mainstream. Sure Archie was the king for many years.

It kind of reminds me of how the Fantastic Four were the number one Marvel characters for years, until eventually Spider-Man past them in popularity.

I now see Sabrina as Archie Comics most well known and popular character with modern mainstream audiences.

BTW, this upcoming series looks really interesting. (thumbs u

I'm in.

(thumbs u

I`m in as well. Sabrina is a great character.

I have always thought that Sabrina was Archie Comics number 1 character in overall popularity with the mainstream. Sure Archie was the king for many years.

It kind of reminds me of how the Fantastic Four were the number one Marvel characters for years, until eventually Spider-Man past them in popularity.

I now see Sabrina as Archie Comics most well known and popular character with modern mainstream audiences.

BTW, this upcoming series looks really interesting. (thumbs u

I agree. The TV show probably pushed her over the top imo.

Does anyone know how many covers exist for Sabrina #1?

So far I only know of three covers; the two done by Hack and the Francavilla variant. Are there any more?

I have this obsessive compulsion to want to buy all the different covers to this series (along with Afterlife with Archie). The covers all look oh so good.

It is neat that Archie is making these books for older readers. However, my daughter would LOVE an ongoing Sabrina book.

For the longest time, Archie Comics were only catered to kids. They've previously tried to make Superhero comics to little success so they stuck with what they knew. It wasn't until they jumped on the zombie bandwagon and put a twist to a classic series that people saw exactly what a good writer & artist can do to make the book interesting again.

Credit has to go to the Publisher for taking a chance, to the writer & artist for creating an engaging story that was brought to life beautifully, like a Mario Bava film, in the hands of Francesco Francavilla.

Looking forward to more of these stories. I feel like these characters can take the punishment!