• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATE: Getting older purple label slabs into the new conserved/restored labels

16 posts in this topic

comics that were bounded into volumes then pulled apart get "Restored" purple label due to glue residue on spine.

Another start up company is looking into considering this as a non-restored notation

Wish CGC would reconsider this as well

No - comics in bound volumes are usually trimmed as well.

This is true.

In fact, I've never seen any bound volumes of comics that weren't trimmed, but I suppose there may be some out there.

Not all bound volumes are trimmed but many, if not most are.

How in the heck did this turn into a thread about bound volumes?

Who get's comics from bound volumes graded anyway (shrug)

the thread is about purple slabs incorrectly graded or getting them into conserved slabs

small amount of rare books from the 50s and 60s were bound in volumes

its related to CGC's misinterpretation of purple labels when it should be changed

Actually, my original question regarded getting currently slabbed restored books into the new holders and how CGC intends to make it happen. But I agree maybe a thread about the topic in general, would cover my question and many others that are likely out there.

hopefully this will happen i would like to get a CGC 2nd opinion as well

but i hear the new start up company has different stance

This is true.

In fact, I've never seen any bound volumes of comics that weren't trimmed, but I suppose there may be some out there.

modern binding defaults to trimming, so if it was done in the last 30 or so years odds are good that it got a trim on all edges before going into the binding machine.

Older bindings were often done by hand, and more often than not were done without trimming the book.

This is true.

modern binding defaults to trimming, so if it was done in the last 30 or so years odds are good that it got a trim on all edges before going into the binding machine.

Older bindings were often done by hand, and more often than not were done without trimming the book.

the books i have seen are 40-50+ years old so maybe they were hand bound like you say

i dont know the process but i know they used a ton of glue for CGC to slap resto on the labels

I see this whole new resto grading system as being a huge mess. Glad I stopped sending things to CGC. if they provide a copy of the graders notes with the books it may avoid a great deal of the confusion but since we know cgc will not "give" anything to the customer it will only cause much more frustration.

No one curious about getting their older Purple Labels into the new restored/conserved slabs? ???

Not worth the cost unless you're planning to sell, and then it's a bit dodgy regarding the actual results. I resubbed the FF1 in my sig and it magically went from Extensive Resto to Moderate, so there's no guarantee that the experts will be consistent in their grading.

No one curious about getting their older Purple Labels into the new restored/conserved slabs? ???

Not worth the cost unless you're planning to sell, and then it's a bit dodgy regarding the actual results. I resubbed the FF1 in my sig and it magically went from Extensive Resto to Moderate, so there's no guarantee that the experts will be consistent in their grading.

I have tried to learn on the boards how the CGC distinction is drawn between Ext / moderate. But transparent descriptions of this are rare to say the least. Since your book 'migrated' to mod in the resub: how much piece replacement is done on the FF1 book in question?

A response from CGC.

Submitting older purple label slabs for regrading into the

new slabs

Is there going to be any special pricing, process, to get our older purple-lable books into the new conserved/restored slabs? I have a few books that I had work done on (and are slabbed in purple holders with restored labels) that I believe would likely fit into the criteria for conserved books. All these books were done (over the last couple of years) by Matt Nelson and his team. I am wondering if there will be any special dispensation for books like this, that the history of the work is well documented and in basically in-house and down the hall at CCS. It would be very cool if we were able to resubmit the books we had work done by CCS and have them reslabbed, and maybe get a little discount as it's certainly earlier to document a book you worked on.

Any thoughts along these lines of thinking?

Hello,

"I don't believe there has been made a set price yet for these. I went and sent this to upper management to see what they will work out.

Thanks, "